Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 1 of 526 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own

Good article in this month's REASON magazine about the Sea Ranch coastal development, located in northern California. Their take is that California regulators actually "derailed" environmental progress in their actions over the years.
    _____

It is truly amazing to see (and have to comply to) all of the regulations when you run a business, such as a distribution warehouse. OSHA rules and regulations, mostly written in the 1970's, guide the way to being a safe employer. EPA does their part. Human Resource pros have jobs for life just keeping up with equal rights laws, immigration laws, FMLA laws, etc.

What do real Americans get from all this regulation? Safer workplaces. Cleaner air and water. More people-friendly organizations (because of forced by law). And a lot of expense to comply. We all pass those expenses on to you. Thanx!
    _____

Merrill, WI, checked in last night (10-5-04) in the temperature teens. I have been to Merrill. Merrill, you are no Green Bay.
    _____

Bear Not A Cheesehead
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I keep a pen that writes in glittery pink gel ink in my pocket, in case anyone asks me if they want to borrow a pen.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Shoes are so important to the overall impact of an outfit. And it's very hard to carry off red shoes.
    _____

Working for a local authority seems to be about meetings, meetings, and more meetings! When does anyone get any actual work done?
    _____

I love my view of Wellington harbour - I can watch ships coming in and I can see some people kayaking on the harbour at the moment.
    _____

While we might think our thoughts are random, there are often subtle underlying links between them and what we're doing. I just realised that the above 3 thoughts all relate to my job - even the one about shoes because now I work in the city I get to see lots of people out and about, hence the observation about shoes!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I love watching the Discovery Times Channel. It's when I let my inner geek out.

Oh, and the History Channel, too.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, is this a good place for me to post my "threads" that get no replies? Can a mod merge the thread I started earlier today into this? No point in having so many "dead end" threads just for me to talk to myself.

MZ -- Queen of the Strike Out thread starters.

EDIT: On a more humorous note, one day when I was on a lot of medication and short of sleep, I happened to buy some framed office art which was one of those old fashioned maps of the world that shows the whole world in the form of two circles next to each other, with the two sets of continents depicted on the two different circles. Coincidentally, the same day, I bought new bras. So here were these bras hanging in my cart with this map of two circles next to each other and the map suddenly struck me as looking rather like a woman's bosom. And then I thought "hey, that would make kind of a neat logo or symbol for women in GIS" and I put the idea through my crude photo-chopping programs and came up with this (it is supposed to look like a bustier):

Of course, it is too risque for the organization I had in mind when I designed it. I thought it would make a neat logo and then we could do t-shirts in black and the map would fall across the members bosom -- sort of a defiant "You can't fill our shirts" (instead of "shoes") women's lib statement. I thought about it again when someone asked "How will cyburbanites recognize each other?" and I thought "they can all wear cyburbia t-shirts!" (and never mind that I have no idea how many cyburbanites have such gear). For a time, I toyed with the idea of making it my new Cyburbia avatar.

Gee, if I have to be Politically Correct to have a career, I will soon be out on the streets, begging for alms. Oh well.

Now: Back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 07 Oct 2004 at 4:40 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    rotfl i love it
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Why do convenience stores that are open 24/7/365 have locks on the doors?

I wonder if anyone in town has Grey Poupon in the glove box?

How does Juan Valdez and his trusty mule get crammed in peoples pantry in the morning and still manage to pick all those beans? He's better than Santa Claus.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I found this picture online when I did a Google search for "moon." Isn't it WICKED? It is really cool although it has no redeeming value whatsoever. I have wanted to share it and now is as good a time as ever. Thank you to my fellow Cyburbians who have made this possible.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 04 Aug 2005 at 4:37 PM.

Registered
    May 2002
    Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

How come whenever I ask my wife if she's ready to go she says yes, but she really means yes I'm ready after I fix my makeup, spray my hair and pick out some jewelry to wear?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner
    Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

How come whenever I ask my wife if she's ready to go she says yes, but she really means yes I'm ready after I fix my makeup, spray my hair and pick out some jewelry to wear?
    Parkways are called parkways because they are typically anchored by a park on each end. See Long Island.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Have you ever noticed that the Friday Afternoon Club is very active even if it is not Friday afternoon?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner
    It's "woman-speak." Don't go there. :-E

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I am an obsessive spread sheet maker. Is there a program to help people like me reduce their dependacy on Excel?

Why are stores now trotting out their Christmas stuff BEFORE Halloween?

If you sing I've Been Working On The Railroad enough times, eventually you can start having conversations and work out complex problems while singing it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    I found this picture online when I did a Google search for "moon."

I probably won't do that because my "Safe Search is off"
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

White socks with sneakers

Use your headlights to let a tractor trailer driver know she has enough room to pull in front of you after she's passed you. Most often she'll thank you by dimming her lights several time. Disclaimer: at night do not use your high beams: dim your headlights briefly (leaving your parking lights on)

Watching snow fall is the most peaceful natural thing I know

"Anxious" and "eager" are not synonomous

You can tell how sociable a person is by the way they go through a door. Anti-social people walk straight through without a last push in case someone might be following
    Last edited by Gedunker; 07 Oct 2004 at 11:55 AM. Reason: encountered another
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Use your headlights to let a tractor trailer driver know she has enough room to pull in front of you after she's passed you. Most often she'll thank you by dimming her lights several time. Disclaimer: at night do not use your high beams: dim your headlights briefly (leaving your parking lights on)
    I really enjoy that Gedunker used feminine pronouns to talk about truckers. I give you the

award of the day.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Parkways are called parkways because they are typically anchored by a park on each end.
    This is also true of Miller Park Way in Milwaukee which is anchored on one end my Miller Park, the Brewers baseball stadium, and on the other end by Trailer Park trash.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Shoes are so important to the overall impact of an outfit. And it's very hard to carry off red shoes.
    Not if you're Bozo...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I can see trees turning orange and red from my office, and clouds finally beginning to move in. Three weeks without much rain is too long. It's time for fall to start.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Sometimes the people who purchase lots in towns without subdivision regulations get what they deserve.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Why do architects pick an odd word and all use it. It was "celebrate" when I was in school.

-----------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I said, "I love you, pumkin" to my wife, and she replied "I love you, honey bunny..." She didn't realize it was a scene from Pulp Fiction. (Oh, check this out http://www.pyrrha.org/pulp/ I'm Pumpkin)

----------------------------------------------

My boss is a Mormon.... and still cool. How odd is that?

---------------------------------------------

I stayed up way too late last night playing poker. And I have a Council meeting tonight that's easily going to last 3 hours. I may bring a cyanide capsule.

--------------------------------------------

Shouldn't this be a "neverending" thread?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    I can see trees turning orange and red from my office, and clouds finally beginning to move in. Three weeks without much rain is too long. It's time for fall to start.
    It's already starting here. My eyes have the itch to prove it.

Absolutely beautiful outside and I'm stuck working the front desk until 3:00. When are we going to be able to afford a receptionist again?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Anyone else notice that Lime seems to be the new 'it' flavor? We have lime-flavored diet Coke, lime-flavored Fruit2O and Tostitos with a Hint of Lime.
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Mar 2003
    It is time for me to go back to work.
    I am tired of fighting bats.
    I have recovered my couch.
    And the garage sale is on for tomorrow.
    I NEED work so I can rest....
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Where does the white go when the snow melts?

Will the Cubs ever win another World Series game?

Could the Blue Ridge Parkway be built if it was first proposed today?

Which is more damaging to the environment, turning a farm into an urban/suburban development or turning the original wilderness into the farm?

Why do people move next to airports/highways/railroads/factories/sewage plants/farms/etc and then complain about them?

Why do they still teach fractions in grade school?

Mike

Closed thread
Page 1 of 526 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  4. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM