Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 6 of 526 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I just saw Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm on TV, and she is hot.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I just saw Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm on TV, and she is hot.
    Sorry, Rocker.....she can't be Prez. She was born in Canada. Same problem as Arnold. Only his other woman was Austria.

The Sound Of Bear

You all know (or you should, dang it!) that I love the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Sad to say that I was once burgled while camping at a lake in the Hiawatha National Forest.

They got my huge tackle box, filled with old antique lures and lots of new stuff.....and they took a couple good bait-casting reels, with rods attached.

Not so easy come, easy go.
    _____

The Ohio Turnpike was built in the 1950's with every intention to convert it to a free road once the debt load was paid off. Not. (It is a good road, though....well tendered.)
    _____

Toledo (and NW OH) and southeast MI have a huge problem with a bug called the Emerald Borer. These puppies dig into and eventually kill ash trees. A friend of mine is involved with the city of Toledo's forestry division and he told me the other day that they expect Toledo to loose 10% of it's trees.

If you don't think that is such a big deal, try flying into Toledo on a clear day. Toledo has an incredible number of trees.

Bear Hanging Around At T-5
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 1:40 PM.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    I'm so lucky my in-laws live on another continent!
    I am so "lucky" (except, I arranged it that way) that my husband's in-laws live on the other side of this continent.

Think about it. It will hit you in a minute.

I always got along great with my inlaws, it was their daughter [the x] that was the problem. Why am I already addicted to this thread?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    I always got along great with my inlaws, it was their daughter [the x] that was the problem. Why am I already addicted to this thread?
    Because it allows for "normal" conversation, without artificial boundaries.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    Ludes just called me a retard.
    My recent trip to the New England area reaffirmed for me that our grid is so simple. Navigation there was not necessarily hard just more difficult than here.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Little Smokes wrapped in dough and baked is some of the CUTEST FOOD on the planet. Next to those little corn cobs and miniature carrots.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Interesting to note that there has not been much Cyburbian mention of the "missing in action" National Hockey League season. Like Michaelskis, I love the Red Wings. Tonight (Wed 10-13) is when they were supposed to open up, I believe in Edmonton.

Drats......just when the game was starting to pick up interest from those only interested in the other three (3) major team sports.

Gordie Bear
    My Habs were supposed to open in Ottawa. It's sad. I wanted to see if they would do better this year.
    All I see out here is the Avalanche (and all the Red Wing haters that go along with it). Which is okay as they are my second team. (Dare I say that around the Bear and Michaelskis), but with no NHL I will focus on the minors. We have a CHL team in our town and I can get the Utah Grizzlies (AHL) on my dish.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I've got nothing. The Bills suck, although the Sabres will probally win more games than they do this year.

Hmm, lunch time.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 2004

Miami Heat

I just purchased tickets to see the Miami Heat play the Denver Nuggets (my fav. team) in December (in Miami)....That should be a fun game, since I now think both teams could make it to their respective conference finals (at least they have a chance...)

I like hockey and it sucks there won't be any.....

The Dolphins stink and the Bronco's dont....1/2 good....

Not into the Florida Football crazy fan thing.....but fun to watch......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    I am soooo lucky that my in-laws love me.

Amen to that!! They even buy me things.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    Amen to that!! They even buy me things.
    Same here! Very Lucky. (Although they are not necessarily in-laws, but the girlfriend's folks)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I have a new nephew back home in Omaha. AMH is a little over a month old. Last week, I went to Toys R Us to do some shopping for him. I wanted to get him all of this stuff that he was too young for. I'm glad the Mrs...Star was there. She's the sensible one. Is that a sign, that I'm ready for offspring of my own?

I did get Darth Vader's Tie Fighter for myself though.

Quote Originally posted by MD Planner
    Why do people drive on parkways and park on driveways?

How come whenever I ask my wife if she's ready to go she says yes, but she really means yes I'm ready after I fix my makeup, spray my hair and pick out some jewelry to wear?

My wife does the same thing. I guess everybody didn't grow up in my parents' house. Being 'ready' means standing by the door or on the porch with everything you need to leave.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 1:41 PM.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Same here! Very Lucky. (Although they are not necessarily in-laws, but the girlfriend's folks)
    Yeah, my ex father in-law was glad when his daughter and I got married. He said she was my problem now. How prophetic !!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Hey, kids....here's a taste treat that can't be beat.....

Get yourself some Nabisco classic wafer cookies (in a hard-sided cardboard box, very black cookie-wafers). Pick up a couple containers of real whipping cream.

Whip the whipping cream (where's Devo when you need 'em?), and as you are doing that add some vanilla and some sugar, to taste.

Cover the wafer cookies with the whipped cream, in a horizontal roll. Pop in the old 'fridge overnight.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good.

Bear Counting Calories: There's One, Got 'Em....There's Another....Got 'Em.....

This Bear was born and raised a Catholic. Went to a Catholic school for six (6) years. Transfered to a public junior and senior high.
    _____

Remember Steely Dan, the music group? Their name comes from a description of a vibrator. Of course, nowadays we would have to call them Plastic Dan.

There was a Jefferson Airplane song called "Plastic Fantastic Lover".
    _____

Bear Pretending He's Bill O'Reilly

Iff they're waz a 400 POSTE CLUBBE, thiz Bar wud bee inn ite.

BRAR
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 1:44 PM.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My little neices are awesome...so well behaved tonight while uncle tranplanner took care of'em.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Despite what other group members have suggested, drinking alone at home is not all that much fun.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    Mackinaw City is at the top of the lower peninsula of Michigan. Even before the Mackinac Bridge was built (opened in '57) it was a popular town. Over the years it grew into a hustling-bustling burg filled with hotels and motels.

The Keyhole Bar is on the main drag in beautiful downtown Mackinaw City. Good food, good company, a zillion keys from all over the world.....hanging here, there. and everywhere. Keys laminated into the bar, keys on the walls.

Lately the town reminds of something Disneyish or Dollyish or Brandonish. But the Keyhole remains the same. Good.

Bear Knowing That The Mackinaw City Mayor Had Two (2) Wives At The Same Time
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    There's nothing better than a math test on a lovely sunny Saturday at 8:30 am

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    There's nothing better than a math test on a lovely sunny Saturday at 8:30 am
    ...or having your mother call at 8:00 AM to complain that you never call...
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Hey, kids....here's a taste treat that can't be beat.....

Get yourself some Nabisco classic wafer cookies (in a hard-sided cardboard box, very black cookie-wafers). Pick up a couple containers of real whipping cream.

Whip the whipping cream (where's Devo when you need 'em?), and as you are doing that add some vanilla and some sugar, to taste.

Cover the wafer cookies with the whipped cream, in a horizontal roll. Pop in the old 'fridge overnight.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, good.

Bear Counting Calories: There's One, Got 'Em....There's Another....Got 'Em.....
    BUN....it is a good recipe...but it is even better with some fresh rasberries placed between each cookie.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    May 2003
    Has anybody noticed that many of the women of country music are HOT?

Bear Watching Gretchen

Loving rock and roll like I do, this Bear wanted to attend the Woodstock Music Festival, back in 1969. Lack of $$$, working full-time, going to college.....those things kept me from driving the 600 or so miles to Bethel, NY, to partake in the festival that will go down in history.

In 1970 there was a similar festival, with nearly 500,000 music fans, near Jackson, MI. It was called the Goose Lake Arts & Music Festival. My wife and I bought tickets and planned to go. She had just delivered my son, Mathew, and wasn't feeling well so I went alone.

I should tell you great stories about the nudity and the people and the music. Yesx, that was certainly evident. But the big story was THE DRUGS. I never saw so much drug use in my life. People were walking around, as if at the baseball game, yelling out what "flavors" they had for sale. They all had nail pocket belts around their waste, holding the stash.

It was quite an eye-opening experience.

Bear Singing Along To "Introduction"
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2005 at 1:45 PM.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Despite what other group members have suggested, drinking alone at home is not all that much fun.
    Awww... yeah, if it's drowing your sorrows you're wanting to do, it really helps to have a friend to listen to your troubles. That's what Cyburbia is for!

I got fined two $200 tickets today, never had one before in my life (except for a speeding one). Turns out my vehicle registration expired without my noticing while I was overseas.... It sucks but I'm in such a good mood I'm not going to let it bug me. Sh*t happens. Apparently I might be able to get out of it if I sort my registration out tomorrow.... fingers crossed!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Awww... yeah, if it's drowing your sorrows you're wanting to do, it really helps to have a friend to listen to your troubles. That's what Cyburbia is for!

I got fined two $200 tickets today, never had one before in my life (except for a speeding one). Turns out my vehicle registration expired without my noticing while I was overseas.... It sucks but I'm in such a good mood I'm not going to let it bug me. Sh*t happens. Apparently I might be able to get out of it if I sort my registration out tomorrow.... fingers crossed!
    In the U.S., there are exemptions for some things if you were out of the country. (For example: you get an automatic extension on tax filing deadlines and military personnel get automatic deferrals for court dates, ticket due dates, etc.) Take your plane ticket stubs or other proof (if you've got it) and see if you can plead your case based on that.

Good luck.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL

That is actually how I've gotten out of 3 speeding tickets. I've been charged with improper registration of a motor vehicle instead of the speeding ticket. Guess I ran into some nice cops.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Closed thread
Page 6 of 526 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9326
    Last post: 31 Dec 2012, 8:06 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Oct 2012, 7:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  4. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  5. Replies: 4811