Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tonite's Veep Debate 10/05

Registered
    Aug 2001

Tonite's Veep Debate 10/05

Let's get ready to rumble! Who's gonna open a can of whoop arse?
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2001
    don't disturb me...the playoffs are on, OK?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2003
    Each one spoke to their base. If you like Bush, Cheney won. If you like Kerry, Edwards won.

Cheney looked and acted like he was personally defending his own programs, not the President's. However, I have heard everything he said as talking points over and over again. There were a few things in Edward's remarks that were new, like how Kerry would handle tort reform and the distinction between national medical policies that favor patients or that favor drug companies and insurors.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I call it a draw. Edwards drew a slight edge for presentation, but screwed up by mentioning John Kerry's name during a question where he was specifically asked not to mention it. Cheney was excellent on the defense. Despite the monotone of his Wyoming accent, he artfully evaded many of Edwards' criticisms.

The debate can be summarized in two sentences.

Edwards: "You're misleading the public! You've misjudged everything while in office, especially the situation with Iraq."
    Cheney: You're wrong! Your facts are wrong. You've been on the wrong side of defense issues. Kerry sends mixed messages. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The democrats are quick to pounce on the debate phenomenom from this Yahoo! news story. Visit a democrats.org post-debate BS page.
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 07 Oct 2004 at 7:31 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004

News Flash: Cheney has his own opinions

Unfortunately everytime he was asked to comment on something that he might have differed from the President on his response was, "I won't comment on that."

I counted this phenomenon at least three times - the first on the follow-up opportunity on gay rights. Too often Cheney has been described as the man running W. It appears now that maybe no one runs W. Heaven Help Us!
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Did you get a closer look at the picture from Reuters? How tasteless?!? (j/k)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kittens.jpg  
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Did you get a closer look at the picture from Reuters? How tasteless?!? (j/k)
    AAARRRGGGHHHH! Soda (pop) through the nose!!! It burns!!! It burns!!! :-P

You people are dangerous with photoshop!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    I think Cheney won. Not because he scored better (they were both landing zingers on eachother right and left), but because Edwards didn't dominate like I thought he would. Of course, maybe I shouldn't have expected so little out of Cheney, he's obviously not a slack-jawed idiot like his running mate.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Rewriting history?

MSNBC claims thate Cheney was off on his facts in the debate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6192327/site/newsweek/

And now there were NEVER any WMD's per the new report from our own arms inspectors.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6190720/

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Of course, maybe I shouldn't have expected so little out of Cheney, he's obviously not a slack-jawed idiot like his running mate.
    JB - this is exactly how Rob felt the next morning. I went to sleep, but the next morning he said "Wow - Cheney is a smart guy!" I said you have to be to be Secret President.

I also don't understand how you can get away with a "No Comment" in a debate. isn't that the point of a debate? To get your comment?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I walked away thinking I like Cheney better than Bush, and Edwards better than Kerry....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I loved loved loved Cheney telling everyone to go to www.factcheck.com. Go there, see what it says (it's completely work safe!).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I loved loved loved Cheney telling everyone to go to www.factcheck.com. Go there, see what it says (it's completely work safe!).
    Freudian slip, he was intending to say " http://www.factcheck.org ". Anyone of Constitutional eligibility age for President (35+) can make that mistake.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Freudian slip, he was intending to say " http://www.factcheck.org ". Anyone of Constitutional eligibility age for President (35+) can make that mistake.

Mike
    Well, even www.factcheck.org didn't think it was funny. Not only that, they were upset because he "mischaracterized its fact-finding".

"Cheney ... wrongly implied that we had rebutted allegations Edwards was making about what Cheney had done as chief executive officer of Halliburton," the site said on Wednesday.

story here

Registered
    Oct 2001
    What an avatar, Habs!

Lends a whole new meaning to "Jesus Saves", doesn't it?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    What an avatar, Habs!

OT: I don't even think Jesus himself could save hockey now. :-S

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I thought Cheney won the debate by a very-slight edge. My expectations for Edwards were high, so his "performance" seemed stilted.

Everybody in the world claims their candidate won. The trouble is, these two (2) mean nothing.....UNLESS something happens to Prez Bush or Prez Kerry.

Lyndon Johnson stepped in after JF Kennedy's death and put Anerica into "Great Society" overdrive. LBJ's influence on America, from social policies to Viet Nam, was much greater than Kennedy's.

When Nixon quit and Gerald Ford took over, he changed little in his short time at the helm.

Veep's mean nothing.....UNLESS.....

Bear Again Thinking Of Voting Booth
    Occupy Cyburbia!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    OT: I don't even think Jesus himself could save hockey now. :-S
    way way
    Off-topic:
    Please...hockey isn't just the NHL.

Mrs. Tranplanner wouldn't let me watch the debate. She used her feminine wiles to lure me away.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    What an avatar, Habs!

"Jesus Saves! But Esposito scores on the rebound!!!"
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GOP debate
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Jun 2007, 1:23 PM
  2. Survivor Race Debate?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Sep 2006, 9:38 PM
  3. Tonite's Debate 09/30
    Friday Afternoon Club