Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unsolicited money saving/accumulation tips for michaelskis

Registered
    Oct 2003
    If you're living in Canada, I'd seperate the toonies and the loonies from the rest of the changes. Having only $5, $10, $20 to spend on would, in my opinion, make me feel like I'm spending a lot. But then, it may be helpful for me to stop spending so much.

Buy things in Canada so you can take advantage of the exchange rates between the American dollar and the Canadian dollar. You'd be able to save money from the exchange value and you'd be helping the Canadian economy too...

Anyways, spending so much isn't an issue. It helps to be busy with schoolwork and not have time to use up with entertainment purposes.

And, may I dare make this suggestion: make your own food from scratch as it'd be cheaper and often tastier than stored bought food items! Plus, you'd be eating much more with homemade cooking and baking.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    MS - Have you ever tried Fantastic Big Soups? You can pick them up for sale for about $1.20 - and they're insanely filling for lunch - Country Lentil, Cha Cha Chili, Jumpin' Black Bean, etc. And insanely full of protein and fiber. So they're extremely healthy and extremely economical.

As for beer - don't give it up entirely, but when you're out, alternate every drink with a pint of water. better for the liver, better for the wallet.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Now Now... let's not get crazy here. And I don't just drink beer, I drink good beer.
    On the heels of JNA,

Give up the Good Beer which is expensive $8-10 per six-pack, for macro-brews $4-6 per six pack.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A twelve of Rolling Rocks are usually $8.99 in Colo. Not to mention, going to the New Belgium microbrewery and sampling for free.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet
    ROTFLMAO.

I was posting from work. I have to have *some* secrets, you know!
    Boy...there's nothing like getting a good laugh on here while scamming WiFi on the road at a Panera to get people to look at you all weird.

I agree on the change thing. Also, I have direct deposit on many bills, saves about 0.25% on the rate. I also have direct deposit for paychecks and the next day, an auto transfer to savings of $50. I had a nice bundle put in savings, but I just paid for 4 credits of school...so bye-bye money...but it was the first time I could pay for a class instead of borrowing money (student loans) and it was nice.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    A twelve of Rolling Rocks are usually $8.99 in Colo. Not to mention, going to the New Belgium microbrewery and sampling for free.
    Or ... you could go down to Golden, and take the infamous "short tour" at the Coors brewery.

Personally, I wouldn't give up microbrews. I'd just drink a little less.

/misses Coopersmith's, Linden's, Odell 90 Shilling, New Belgium Christmas ales and H.C. Berger Chocolate Stout.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2004
    For alcohol, I'd have to say just limit what you drink when you're at restaurants and bars. They really stick you for booze. Even microbrews are pretty cheap as long as you buy at the grocery store.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well... how about some sort of internet scam or something? that'll make you a millionaire Also get a savings account in the Riggs bank.. I heard they have awesome interest rates! (Oh wait that was just the white lie that the Pinochet adherents were saying to justify the millions of dollars he robbed)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Are you willing to spend $ 1 for a chance on the PowerBall estimated jackpot of $ 215 million.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Or ... you could go down to Golden, and take the infamous "short tour" at the Coors brewery.

Personally, I wouldn't give up microbrews. I'd just drink a little less.

/misses Coopersmith's, Linden's, Odell 90 Shilling, New Belgium Christmas ales and H.C. Berger Chocolate Stout.
    I took the VIP Coors tour for Colorado History class at Northern Colo. It was actually pretty interesting and you got to be on the floor with the employees. We actually got to go into the cold filter room and taste beer that is actually the freshest (not the fresh beer they give the regular tours.) Keystone never tasted so good, I swear.

As for Coopersmith's, Lindens, etc. You mean there is somebody in Cyburbia I could be sharing Old Town exploits with? Where have YOU been?

I was at the Crown Pub last saturday. Nice place for a Boddington's.

You rock, Dan!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 102
    Last post: 17 Nov 2010, 8:24 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 12 Feb 2004, 12:22 PM
  3. Unsolicited CVs from India. Huh?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Dec 2003, 2:10 AM