Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gas Prices And Transit Ridership

     
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Gas Prices And Transit Ridership

Perhaps ridership is dropping off because public transit (1) does not go where a rider needs to go and/or (2) it is not convenient (getting to a stop, schedule, time involved, too many transfers, etc.). I would ride public transit if it actually went where I need to go on a reasonable schedule. Here in Cleveland, RTA has gone so far as to suggest doing away with a popular express route to force people to use an out-of-the-way Park-'n-Ride lot. to add insult to injury, RTA reported that less than 50 people showed up for a hearing scheduled during the afternoon on a work-day (remember these are people commuting to work), when in fact nearly 90 people showed up. The also averaged in several poorly scheduled runs to demonstrate that "nobody rides" the route.

Registered
    May 2003
    Cleveland really does undeservedly have a very poor public transportation system, considering how dense it is. It has the transit of a city half its size, even for the United States.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Plus, to return to the topic line, gas prices are actually still very cheap in inflation-adjusted terms.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Gas prices will have to go a lot higher for people to actually reconsider their transportation habits. I'm not sure what that tipping point/elasticity level is, but we might find out in the next few years. The only thing that will bring down oil prices down substantially at this point is a major recession...but that is a different thread.

I sold my car and started using mass transit + feet for 100% of my transit needs when I moved to NYC. This change was driven by my dislike of driving and had nothing to do with gas prices.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 2:15 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Sep 2006, 3:31 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 3:28 PM
  5. Ridership levels...
    Transportation Planning