Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Really "dumb" job hunting question

Registered
    Jul 2003

Really "dumb" job hunting question

Let's say you stayed with the same employer but your role and job title changed dramatically. Would you list that on a job application as two different "jobs"? I don't know any other way to really explain the dramatic difference between what I did as an intern and what I do now for the same place (as a volunteer -- they would like to pay me, if they can come up with a source for the funds) . The kind of work I do for them has changed a great deal.

Thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have a similar situtation.

I have the employer listed and years worked with the job titles and dates in them in brackets.

My lists of tasks is kind of mushed together as are my skills developed.

Looks somehting like this

November 1998 - February 2004: Employers Name
    Position Held: Position 1 / Position 2 (May 2001 June 2002)

Duties Performed
    (mish mash)
    Skills Developed
    (mish mash)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think that is confusing. I mean, I feel like I am really bad at this "applying for jobs" thing but, well, I have a fair amount of confidence in my writing/communicating ability (having been trained for years by my sister, who has a degree in journalism, and then honed my skills playing to tough crowds on the internet). I think I will go with making them separate positons -- unless I hear from someone that it is a really bad idea and why (like folks who do actual hiring).

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yes, list them separately. Interesting for prospective employer to see how your role changed, what new responsibilities you were given etc.

I would do something like this:

Employment history:

Employer's name

Role 2 (dates held)
    -description of skills, responsibilities

Role 1 (dates held)
    -description

For example, I worked at a supermarket part time while studying and moved from checkout operator (aka customer service operator ) to checkout supervisor, which had a lot more responsibility (staff management, answering to public, float handling etc). Even though some parts of the role were the same (I still had to work checkouts and be nice to the customers ) I would definitely list them separately.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Oh, duh -- I would have listed them in chronological order. Glad I asked. Thanks for your clear example.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Oh, duh -- I would have listed them in chronological order.
    I'm not sure that matters too much. I had them round the other way then I realised that (I think) you usually put your most recent jobs at the top, going backwards chronologically. Most recent first. Whether you do the same with two roles with one employer is over to you I guess.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    I think that is confusing. I mean, I feel like I am really bad at this "applying for jobs" thing but, well, I have a fair amount of confidence in my writing/communicating ability (having been trained for years by my sister, who has a degree in journalism, and then honed my skills playing to tough crowds on the internet). I think I will go with making them separate positons -- unless I hear from someone that it is a really bad idea and why (like folks who do actual hiring).
    What "tough crowds" are you speaking of? BTW, sit up straight in that chair. Watch your pronunciation. Mind your p's and q's. Don't forget to wash your hands before you eat. Have fun at recess.

Tough crowds.....humphh......

Bear At The Front Desk
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    lol. This isn't the toughest internet crowd I have played to. These folks are reasonably civilized, most of the time. Okay, they do bite occasionally. But I have seen worse.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. The dreaded "salary requirements" question
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 19 Aug 2011, 10:41 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last post: 17 Jan 2007, 7:27 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2003, 3:29 PM