Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Space pioneer passes after lifelong battle with playground smart asses

Registered
    Oct 2001

Space pioneer passes after lifelong battle with playground smart asses

Quote Originally posted by CNN
    Space trailblazer Max Faget dies - Engineer designed NASA's Mercury capsules - Sunday, October 10, 2004 Posted: 9:31 PM EDT (0131 GMT)

(CNN) -- The designer of the Mercury space capsules that took the first Americans into orbit has died at age 83, NASA announced Sunday.

Maxime Faget led the space agency's engineering and development branch from 1961 to 1981, leading the design work on every manned U.S. spacecraft from the Mercury capsules to the space shuttles, NASA officials said.

"Without Max Faget's innovative designs and thoughtful approach to problem-solving, America's space program would have had trouble getting off the ground," NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe said in a written statement Sunday. "He also was an aeronautics pioneer. In fact, it was his work on supersonic flight research that eventually led to his interest in space flight."

Faget, who died Saturday at his home in Houston, Texas, was one of the original 35 engineers in NASA's Space Task Group, which was formed in 1958 to develop a manned spacecraft....
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/1...bit/index.html

Upon reading Max's story I cannot help but wonder if sir-name caused him any grief on the school playground, and if his son, Guy Faget, had similar experiences growing up? And if Guy's son and Max's oldest grandson, Lance had similar issues? Rumor has it that Max was the inspiration for the 2000 summer hit Meet the Parents staring Ben Stiller in the lead role of Gaylord Faulker. One wonders at the cruelty of such parents, generation after generation.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo

One wonders at the cruelty of such parents, generation after generation.
    Yes indeed. I once knew a girl named Karna Lust. Her parents were Iowa farmers of German extraction. Certainly they had lived here long enough to figure out what they were doing to their daughter. And poor Karna, she just did not live up to her name. I often wonder if she married some guy named Bob Knowledge.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I saw a sign advertising the realtor of a property -- Sharon Virgin. I can just imagine her senior prom. Dad tells her date "My daughter has been a Virgin all her life. She better damn well come home a Virgin!"
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2002

name

I knew a couple with the last name of Dee. They named their son Ellis.
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Poor guy... I wonder why he didn't change his last name when he was old enough.

I was just reading some news site and there was an article saying they denied a chinese family to name their kid "@", and they also denied to name a sweedish kid "Superman".... My, parenting only needs common sense... don't be sadistic with your poor kid, they'll be marked for life.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I know a guy with the last name “Long”. There are always snickers when people find out.

I think he should name his son Peter.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    On the subject of horrible names...

My high school guidance counselor was named Richard E. Rector. He went by Dick. That's right folks... Dick E. Rector! :-0 Some people do it to themselves...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I heard how this guy's name was pronounced on the radio today -- it was fah-ZHAY.

Of course, the French pronunciation might even be worse than what I thought it was at first.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I knew of a battalion X.O. who happened to hold the rank of major at the time with the last name "Dix". Needless to say, the plural form was usually dropped in his absence. I think his troops couldn't wait for the guy to get promoted so instead of being 'Major Dix' he could mellow out and become just a 'General Dix'. Given the amount of time that's passed I would wager he'd have gotten his star by this time. I wonder if there's any way to check and see if there are any General Dix' that work at the Pentagon?

Pete Rock, that reminds me of the SNL skit "Incidently, my name is pronounced 'Ahs-wee-pay'"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2002
    BTW -- true story, I went to high school with a kid named Guy Dick.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Well, remember my thread "Would you live on Gay Street?"

Isn't there a huge RV dealership in Indiana named "Dick Raper" or "Peter Raper" or something like that, with billboards all over the state?

Imagine being burdened with this name, or this one.

Appropriately, this guy lives in Wisconsin.

This name is kind of redundant. So is this one.

Uhhh ....

Uhhhhhhhh ....

this If this name isn't child abuse, though, I don't know what is.

This would be a cool name, though, as would this.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I worked with a guy who's name was Richard Blowers. He asked that we call him Richie instead of Dick.

Also, when I was at the ski hill, I work with a girl who's named Chrystal Glass.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 10 Feb 2011, 9:36 AM
  2. Playground for senior citizens in London
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Jul 2010, 8:48 AM
  3. Pioneer design standards
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 May 2009, 1:45 PM