Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Panama City Beach, FL

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Panama City Beach, FL

I was out at the Beach this afternoon and finally remembered to bring my camera. Each of these structures (termed seasonal resort condominiums), are between the first public road and the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. Iím not much of a photographer, but you get the idea whatís going on here.

These are weekend/vacation homes three blocks from the beach. Anybody have an extra $800K?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Our beach towns used to be alot prettier than yours; of course, that was when we actually had sand on the beach.... thanks, hurricanes.

I was really surprised the first time I was in P.C. and RJ took me a driving tour; it was like Disney on condo steroids.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Wow, it seems like the condo is overtaking the panhandle. Some of them are OK, but some are just insanely out of place, way too narrow, or not "fitting in" architecturally and aesthetically.

I've also noticed how much Charley ate away at Fort Myers Beach, the last time I was there. These condos are gonna be in the water pretty soon.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    .... Some of them are OK, but some are just insanely out of place, way too narrow, or not "fitting in" architecturally and aesthetically.....
    Wrongo. They are all out of freaking place!! They wall off the Gulf. And they are all uglier than a your dog's hind end.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Wrongo. They are all out of freaking place!! They wall off the Gulf. And they are all uglier than a your dog's hind end.
    Well, upon closer inspection of the photos you provided, I guess you are right. But a mid-level 5-story condo building or cluster of them in the right place with the right look would be fine IMO.

And don't bring my dog's hind end into this.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Nice pics, do you work for the same place I do??? Hey I say let them build 'em as high as they want to. We need higher density out there. I'm sure db agrees .

I don't think I have approved any of those high-rises out there yet. Give it another year.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That's sorta my impression, but I wanted to be polite

I've only lived in one place, briefly, in Florida, in Clearwater. These are actually better than Pinellas County's standards of pre late-80s construction But not much.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Well you do live in the Redneck Riviera. No, the condo problem is all over. RJ, do you guys have condo-tels? We need some good language that addresses condo-tels for an area that we are working with.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    ...RJ, do you guys have condo-tels? We need some good language that addresses condo-tels for an area that we are working with.
    Define "condo-tels" for me. In the county, they avoid density limits by calling them commercial under Section 509 of the Florida Statutes. This means they are not residential in nature, can't be lived in full time, and are required to be offered for rent for a certain period during the year. But who's going to enforce that? The city has no density limits on this type of use and no limits on occupancy. Remember, all these places are in Cat 1 hurricane evacuation zone.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 10 Oct 2005 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    That's sorta my impression, but I wanted to be polite ....
    Stop the presses....this is a first.

I don't know of a better example of Krier's 'vertical sprawl'.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    I don't know of a better example of Krier's 'vertical sprawl'.
    I think part of the pronlem is that there is no context for the buildings. It's like I remember Clearwater Beach-tower/7-11/single story house-beach shack-tower.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    It's like peering to a Le Corbusier wet dream......Slabtastic!!!!

I probably wouldn't like living next to one of those monsters, but I sure would have liked to sell my old beach cottage to the developer though.....$$$$$$$$ .
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Oct 2005 at 10:29 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Glad they don't allow/support "those types" of buildings on Long Beach Island, NJ.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

It won't be long before there is a solid....and I mean solid wall of condo's from Marco Island, just south of Naples, all the way to Panama City There must be at least 100 miles of coastline filled with this type of density from Marco to many miles north of Naples.....I was shocked to see the "gulf" wall and with only a couple of public access points Broward and Miami Beach have sections with walls, but not nearly as solid as the one over by Naples
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    It won't be long before there is a solid....and I mean solid wall of condo's from Marco Island, just south of Naples, all the way to Panama City There must be at least 100 miles of coastline filled with this type of density from Marco to many miles north of Naples.....I was shocked to see the "gulf" wall and with only a couple of public access points Broward and Miami Beach have sections with walls, but not nearly as solid as the one over by Naples
    I'd say there's a fairly solid 25-mile wall from Naples to Fort Myers Beach. Then there are a bunch of islands and large harbors and river mouths that break things up. Then, I say there's another wall from Sarasota (or Venice) northward to Pasco County. Then you have the "big bend" area, which I don't forsee major development/urbanization due to it's swampiness. Then there is likely a wall/future wall from Panama City Beach to Gulf Shores, AL.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2003
    sad really...

...are they time-shares, second homes, retirements, whats up?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner
    .... Then there is likely a wall/future wall from Panama City Beach to Gulf Shores, AL.
    Not likely because I understand Walton County has strict height restrictions along the Gulf....the city of Destin on the other hand.... I'm not sure about Okaloosa County.

Quote Originally posted by H
    ....are they time-shares, second homes, retirements, whats up?
    Second homes or seasonal rentals. As I mentioned, in the county owners are prohibited from using them as permanent residences (deed restrictioned in the condo docs). The city of PCB has no such restriction.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Reminds me of the 70's era crap that pollutes the shores of South Florida ...... Mausoleums by the sea.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    ....I probably wouldn't like living next to one of those monsters, but I sure would have liked to sell my old beach cottage to the developer though.....$$$$$$$$ .
    We heard a story several weeks ago about a developer who was assembling properties along the Gulf to build one of these things. One last hold-out on a 50-foot by 150-foot lot on the beach finally sold......for $2.5M (US). Now do you know why I cry so much?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I expect a tour when we come over for the crawfish boil (we are still doing that, right?)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H
    I expect a tour when we come over for the crawfish boil (we are still doing that, right?)
    Put it on your calendar. I guess I should bump that thread again. (But I'm not so sure about a crawfish boil. There's somebody in the group that doesn't like seafood.)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Put it on your calendar. I guess I should bump that thread again. (But I'm not so sure about a crawfish boil. There's somebody in the group that doesn't like seafood.)
    Thats cool. Hotdogs and hamburgers are yummy also!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 05 Sep 2011, 5:27 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Aug 2009, 9:55 PM
  3. Panama City FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Feb 2009, 7:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Apr 2007, 11:36 AM