Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cardinal's Downtown of the Week - Sioux Falls, SD (long)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cardinal's Downtown of the Week - Sioux Falls, SD (long)

Y'all know I like downtowns. I thought I'd try a new feature. I won't be able to add a new downtown every week, but I'll do it as often as I can.

This week's selection is Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Most people don't think much of the Dakotas (except perhaps the Black Hills) and of the plains in general, but there are some exceptional communities there. Sioux Falls is a case in point.

Let's start out on the fringes of downtown, at the Falls Park. Early settlers described this as one of the more remarkable places on the plains. It became an industrial area powered by the falling water. After that the place decayed, and it has only recently been reclaimed as a city park.

Most people enter the park from under the railroad bridge. While the foreground is a park, the city's industry dominates the background.

More industry is located even closer to the downtown. It is good, old-fashoined heavy industry.

Where there is a meat processing plant...

...there is a stockyard.

The railroad that brings in the cattle and pigs also brought in the people. They were not slaughtered.

Let's get on to the downtown itself.

Several downtown buildings, and most of the public buildings, are made from this pinkish sandstone.

Some newer buildings.

A trolley is used to move people around the downtown.

A shot of the streetscape from under a movie theater marquee.

There are a couple good examples of art deco architecture here. Look at the lighting. Nice.

A Carnegie Library.

The courthouse tower is visible from much of the downtown.

A great entrance.

The falls are in the bottom of the valley. Manufacturing lies to one side and the downtown to the other, on relatively flat or gently sloping plains. There is a large hill next to the downtown, and an imposing church dominates the skyline.

The hill is also where the great old homes are located. Sioux Falls has a large number of these, including many Victorian styles, located on streets lined with mature trees. It is a beautiful neighborhood of detached single family homes on large lots.

Enjoy!
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Thanks, Cardinal. Some classic Victorians. Reminds me of some of the houses in my neighborhood (more of them, though)

The Falls were interesting, too.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Very gorgeous, sans the processing plants/stockyards...but ya got have some form of industry!

The residential really impressed me! But I was surprised of the lack of building height downtown...it almost looks comparable to a Chicago train suburb (i.e Elgin, Naperville, Des Plaines) if you just look at the downtown pics.

But all in all, it looks pretty nice.

Thanks for the tour!!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Nice tour!!!

The Falls are an interesting natural feature. It probably looked rather out of place in the upper-Plains when the first settlers came thorugh, much like the Illinois River valley around Starved Rock at Utica, IL.

Thanks.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Historic vibe. Nice.

Registered
    Mar 2005

That is NOT a trolley. It is a bus. Trolleys are powered by overhead electric lines and usually run on tracks. Pet peeve rant over

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Good call on the bus. They have one of those that takes people around the Woodfield Mall area in Chicagoland. They call it a trolley, but it's just a snazzy-lookin' bus.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Am I the only one who thinks this town looks really boring and depressing? I don't think I'd survive a week around there.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    That is NOT a trolley. It is a bus. Trolleys are powered by overhead electric lines and usually run on tracks. Pet peeve rant over
    Word! Whenever I see those...things I get an urge to throw tomatoes at them. I just never seem to have the tomatoes with me.

The Hill looks like anice comfy part of town with beautiful old houses, but the downtown looks somewhat ruined by poorly-considered, spare new buildings and an absence of street life. Yeah, the chance of being murdered is probably quite low there, but what are the chances of dying of boredom?
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jread
    Am I the only one who thinks this town looks really boring and depressing? I don't think I'd survive a week around there.
    Remember that you are only seeing a small part of the town, and on a cold day with intermittent rain that kept people inside. The city does lack a strong "place" in the downtown, like State Street in Madison or the Riverwalk in San Antonio, but it is a good place to live. There are jobs, wonderful neighborhoods, good schools, a college, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jread

To my personal preferences, I would agree wholeheartedly with you. The only thing that saves me while living in "Small Town/Family Values Americana" is (still) cheap gas and a big city or two an hour away.

But, as Cardinal notes, many, if not most, people prefer a slower paced, small town environment. I would rather see places like Sioux Falls do well then have millions of people crammed into suburban sprawl facsimiles of that smaller town/slower paced life. Give me Sioux Falls over Highlands Ranch, Colorado or Plano, Texas, anyday.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    To my personal preferences, I would agree wholeheartedly with you. The only thing that saves me while living in "Small Town/Family Values Americana" is (still) cheap gas and a big city or two an hour away.

But, as Cardinal notes, many, if not most, people prefer a slower paced, small town environment. I would rather see places like Sioux Falls do well then have millions of people crammed into suburban sprawl facsimiles of that smaller town/slower paced life. Give me Sioux Falls over Highlands Ranch, Colorado or Plano, Texas, anyday.
    I would rather see a few hundred thousand people crammed into Sioux Falls in smart, walkable developments with a good sense of community and adequate public transit.

Then again, Hell has not frozen over as far as I know.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 24 Jan 2009, 7:06 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Oct 2007, 10:08 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 10:28 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 04 May 2004, 4:08 PM