Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Fresh Eye On Buffalo

A Fresh Eye On Buffalo

My take on ol' buffalo towne. (i hope its not too many pictures) i don't think it is such a bad place.
    (these images are copyrighted do not use without permission)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    For all its problems, Buffalo is still a beautiful place.

Too bad its an economic backwater, in a national economic context.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You know, all I heard about Buffalo was it tends to be a harsh place in the winter (something I would probably like)
    To what other problems do you refer?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Lovely black and white! I need to try that some time. Maybe after I learn to point the camera straight.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Batman and Robin's Home..?

Now I know where Gotham City really was......
    I half expected to see the bat mobile in some of those pictures, or the bat sign in the sky....

Just kidding...... I would agree that the bad weather in winter would be a plus for me....I love bad weather in general and can handle tough winters..... I love the gothic look of the place and intensity of the structures. They seem to stand alone for the most part, which makes them stand out more..... I've never been, but will plan on visiting, now that I've got relatives moving to the the general area....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Here is a view of The Niagara Mohawk tower and Buffalo Savings Bank.

this image is copyrighted

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Nice black and white pictures.

When ever I pass through Buffalo, I marvel at some of those buildings near Erie. The only problem with some of those buildings are they seem run down.

I tend to by-pass the downtown area and head straight for the Galleria Mall.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Steel - is that infrared film?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Steel - is that infrared film?

No. Mostly these were taken with Ektachrome or Fujichrome color slide film. Some of them are from a digital camera.

Quote Originally posted by trini905
    Nice black and white pictures.

When ever I pass through Buffalo, I marvel at some of those buildings near Erie. The only problem with some of those buildings are they seem run down.

I tend to by-pass the downtown area and head straight for the Galleria Mall.

That is why I say you have to take a closer look at Buffalo. There are many many buildings in fine condition. Unfortunately a large majority of the people in the Buffalo metro do as you do and pass right on by as they go to the Galleria Mall. I personally prefer Elmwood Avenue to the Galleria Mall for shopping. If you like architecture get out of your car on a nice summer day in Buffalo and walk some of its Delaware District/Elmwood Village/Alentown streets.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Downtown Buffalo doesn't have the abandonment that you'll see in downtown Detroit, where there are hundreds of large buildngs that stand empty. (Central Terminal isn't downtown.) I think the largest abandoned building downtown is the former AM&As department store; from there, it's just some two and three-story former retail buildings that are unused. For the most part, the building stock is in good shape. Downtown is clean and safe. However, outside of the Chippewa Street entertainment district, there is a lack of vitality and street animation.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The reason you may think some buildings are run down is because of property owners like this.

CITY HOUSING COURT
    Charges dropped in Schmidt case
    By MARK SOMMER
    News Staff Reporter
    10/24/2004

Ten years, 41 counts of neglect, 18 court adjournments, six postponed trials, one demolished building.
    Fines paid to the city: Zero.

The long-standing case against Alex Schmidt and his dilapidated, two-story building razed earlier this year at 736 Main St. ended when the city recommended to City Housing Court Judge Henry J. Nowak that all code violations be dismissed.

The city's reluctance to fine Schmidt drew an angry response from Louis Petrucci, the city's chief building inspector. He said the Schmidt building was demolished only because violations went unheeded - and unpunished - for 10 years. "This sends a bad message to people who want to neglect their preservation properties," he said.

Petrucci said the city's inspection and permits department invested hundreds of man-hours inspecting the building over the years - with now nothing to show for it.

The decision comes at a time when Amherst developer Michael Joseph and his company, Clover Management, have signed an agreement to buy the property, along with the land on which Schmidt's Collision & Glass operates, to build a mix of rental units and condominiums.

Mayor Anthony M. Masiello has sought the development of the blighted 700 block, and a source said the dropping of all charges in City Housing Court was a condition of the agreement.

Joseph owns the Ansonia and Sidway apartments on that block, and is rumored to want to acquire the site of the embattled, three-story Vernor Building next door at 756 Main St. if the building, also tied up in Housing Court, gets an expected go-ahead for demolition.

Corporation counsel Michael B. Risman defended the Masiello administration's decision to drop charges.

"Our ultimate goal has always been to get the property developed and in the hands of someone prepared and willing to improve it," Risman said. "We thought in the big picture this would facilitate that." Risman said while Schmidt was never fined, he didn't get off scot-free. "I'm sure he had enormous expenses in legal fees."

Schmidt did not return calls seeking comment.

e-mail: msommer@buffnews.com
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    That is why I say you have to take a closer look at Buffalo. There are many many buildings in fine condition. Unfortunately a large majority of the people in the Buffalo metro do as you do and pass right on by as they go to the Galleria Mall. I personally prefer Elmwood Avenue to the Galleria Mall for shopping. If you like architecture get out of your car on a nice summer day in Buffalo and walk some of its Delaware District/Elmwood Village/Alentown streets.
    Thanks for the points of reference. I will probably do that when I visit Buffalo again.
    Do you know the name of the stadium that can be seen from the highway on the north side of the downtown?

Thanks for the points of reference. I will probably do that when I visit Buffalo again.
    Do you know the name of the stadium that can be seen from the highway on the north side of the downtown?
    I think it is called Dunn Tire Park now but most people probably call it by its older name Pilot Field. The Bisons play there.

I think it is called Dunn Tire Park now but most people probably call it by its older name Pilot Field. The Bisons play there. But that is on the south end of downtown

ok ok my fans are demanding it so here are a few more Buffalo views
    (these are all copyrighted images do not use without permission)

worth another look

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Definitely some stunning architecture. I'm impressed. It's depressing to read the stats on the number of outmigrants from the Buffalo area over the last 20 years, though (particularly among those aged 18-34).

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Is it safe to assume that Buffalo invented to 'Buffalo Wing'?

If so, where is the original establishment? Post a pic of that!

Gracias.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I gotta say, there is something really nice about the place. It keeps itself real.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Even allowing for a careful editing on the part of the photographer, I must admit I was surprsied by teh sheer quantity of apparently outstanding architecture.

I find US vernacular buildings from the 1880s to the 1930s to be of extremely high cosntruction quality and way underrated on the style side. I wish more of them had been preserved but it looks like Buffalo has done ok.

OT: There is no inherent reason why, economically, a particular town Has to be in decline, unless it is very closely assocaited with some extractive industry and the deposits have run out. I think the big problem with rust-belt cities, economically, is that social stabilizers and other 'rigidities' did not permit a more reactive downward adjustment in low-skill wages...resulting in no wages at all.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Quote Originally posted by Luca
    Even allowing for a careful editing on the part of the photographer, I must admit I was surprsied by teh sheer quantity of apparently outstanding architecture.

I find US vernacular buildings from the 1880s to the 1930s to be of extremely high cosntruction quality and way underrated on the style side. I wish more of them had been preserved but it looks like Buffalo has done ok.

OT: There is no inherent reason why, economically, a particular town Has to be in decline, unless it is very closely assocaited with some extractive industry and the deposits have run out. I think the big problem with rust-belt cities, economically, is that social stabilizers and other 'rigidities' did not permit a more reactive downward adjustment in low-skill wages...resulting in no wages at all.
    I think another reason is that the Federal government subsidized new growth in the South and West leaving the North East cities to fend for themselves, supporting the poorest and most uneducated while a majority of the remaing wealthy fled to the suburbs.

Buffalo has certainly been devestated but very much is still very good in the city. These images are just a very small fraction of what I could show of its extraordinary collection of architecture. This architecture is what keeps people in the city and will be responsible for its rebirth (that is if the ignorant do not eliminate it first)

All in all I have a lot of hope for Buffalo for two reasons.

1..There are many growing and strengthening neighborhood groups that are starting to mmake real change happen.

2.. The crummy sprawl building patterns common in the suburbs and in the south and south west are slowly comming into disfavor. There is only so much traffic and cheap plastic no place no space environment that people can handle.
    Last edited by steel; 30 Sep 2005 at 5:05 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Is it safe to assume that Buffalo invented to 'Buffalo Wing'?

If so, where is the original establishment? Post a pic of that!

Gracias.
    Buffalo wings or just wings in Buffalo were invented at the Anchor Bar at Main and Michigan just north of the CBD. I don't have a picture but here's a link to their website where you can read about their history, see pictures, and even order their wing sauce. http://www.anchorbar.com/

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    Buffalo wings or just wings in Buffalo were invented at the Anchor Bar at Main and Michigan just north of the CBD. I don't have a picture but here's a link to their website where you can read about their history, see pictures, and even order their wing sauce. http://www.anchorbar.com/
    Its on the corner of Main St and North St. Michigan Ave runs north-south.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2003

More Queen City Architectural Gems

My brother sent me an article from the Buffalo News which mentioned this site:
    [/URL]http://www.ah.bfn.org/a/bamname.html[/URL]
    It features numerous Buffalo architectural landmarks indexed by both address and neighborhood and is titled: "Buffalo as an Architectural Museum."

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Fresh graduate, what to do?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jun 2012, 3:07 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Dec 2010, 2:18 PM
  3. Greetings; a fresh new voice!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1