Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia's thoughts on "bad" weather.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Cyburbia's thoughts on "bad" weather.

Living in Colorado, we tend to have 300+ days of sunshine a year. Which bodes well for a lot of people.
    Personally I tend to prefer, and want really cold, grey, snowy winters. Winters here, at least the Front Range of Colorado, tend to be mild, with the little snow we get melting soon after the sun comes out. While the sun is good, give me cold and grey winters with the snow sticking around.

Anyone agree with the Z Man?

What are the weather preferences of other Cyburbians?

I now turn you loose....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Four seasons with a distinct winter, spring, summer, and fall.

I would love a nice solid snow storm about once a month around here (Chicago) in the winter, but the last two winters have been pretty weak.

I would not want any of the kind of severe weather that some places get - California (Santa Ana winds and accompanying wild fires) or Florida (hurricanes) . That's just killer.

I'm glad to stay in the Great Lakes region. I'd actually prefer the northern Great Lakes, if I had my druthers. (ie. northern Wisconsin, Michigan, or Ontario, etc), but Chicagoland is ok for now.

Off-topic:
    BTW, what is a"druther" anyhow? It's one of those idioms that are just natural, but I could never explain to someone.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:
    BTW, what is a"druther" anyhow? It's one of those idioms that are just natural, but I could never explain to someone.
    Off-topic:
    It's a contraction of "would rather" with the "d" migrating to rather and "a" being replaced with "u". I'm not sure of the origins.

ZMan I love overcast grey skies and snow. Unfortunately, I don't get near enough around here to be satisfied. Long range forecast here is for colder and drier winter. Not what I had in mind.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Personally I tend to prefer, and want really cold, grey, snowy winters.
    It is called MICHIGAN.

I live here because I like the snow. In parts of the Keweenaw Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula will get as much as 400 inches of snow each year. It is also the same on the east side of lake Erie in NY.

I like weather that changes. Warm (BUT NOT HOT) summers, crisp cold fall mornings that warm up to 40s or 50s during the day with sun shine, Cold Sharp winters with more snow than we know what to do with. Spring... I like the flowers, but everything else sucks.

Registered
    Mar 2004

To dream of bad weather....

Often I find myself wondering what it would be like in Inuvik during winter....or Churchill in February.....or Siberia at any time.....oh and western Mongolia has always interested me.....but then again, I always thought it would be cool to bivouac at the top of Everest or K-2 in January...... Can you imagine how rough that would be.....worse than south pole in July!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Often I find myself wondering what it would be like in Inuvik during winter....
    While not quite Inuvik Kugluktuk, Nunavut is hiring right now. $65 000 plus $16 000 in Northern living credit (non taxable income). If I did not need light I'd consider it, if you are going to live in the boonies, it might as well be the real boonies.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    While not quite Inuvik Kugluktuk, Nunavut is hiring right now. $65 000 plus $16 000 in Northern living credit (non taxable income). If I did not need light I'd consider it, if you are going to live in the boonies, it might as well be the real boonies.
    After scanning the net for a map of Kugluktuk, the Z Man exclaims, "WOW, that IS the boonies."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002

weather

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Off-topic:
    It's a contraction of "would rather" with the "d" migrating to rather and "a" being replaced with "u". I'm not sure of the origins.

ZMan I love overcast grey skies and snow. Unfortunately, I don't get near enough around here to be satisfied. Long range forecast here is for colder and drier winter. Not what I had in mind.
    I think its a further contractio of "I'd rather." Somehow a u got in there.

The weather in Caribou Maine was good except fot the l e g t h of the winters. I like enough snow to do something with; Xcounty ski, snowball fight, whatever. This happens about one winter out of seven in Ohio (south of the snow belt - the snow belt is a different world, huh Dan).
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2002

weather

[QUOTE=donk].htm]Kugluktuk, Nunavut
    That sounds like something Curley would say.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah but....

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Sure, but that's in LOONIES.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I LOVE the four seasons. Fall is gorgeous here right now. nice and brisk - in the 50's and low 60's - with the leaves and the apples.... *happy sigh*

and i love snowy days. but if the skies are going to be grey, i want snow to be falling. i hate those weeks and weeks with total cloud cover and never seeing the sun, and not even having the pretty of the snow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have 2 seasons here...winter and construction.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am in the only mediterranean climate in North America. We get an average of between 18 and 22 inches of rain per year -- dryer than average but wetter than a desert. And it is generally not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter. I suppose it is a pretty good spot for me. I don't take the cold too well and I no longer take the heat too well either.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Living in Colorado, we tend to have 300+ days of sunshine a year. Which bodes well for a lot of people.
    Personally I tend to prefer, and want really cold, grey, snowy winters. Winters here, at least the Front Range of Colorado, tend to be mild, with the little snow we get melting soon after the sun comes out. While the sun is good, give me cold and grey winters with the snow sticking around.

Anyone agree with the Z Man?

What are the weather preferences of other Cyburbians?

I now turn you loose....
    For winter, the best weather is 25-30F, cloudy with no wind and plenty of snow on the ground.

Worst: Sunny, windy and no snow (which is much more common)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm I'm used to 1 station (rainy station) in valdivia, but here in santiago,I'm having more heat than anything, so between the two... I prefer the rain... (Can't stand the heat!); although I'd prefer something intermediate.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I will never again live in an area with a climate that includes a cold, gray, snowy winter.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I LOVE the four seasons. Fall is gorgeous here right now. nice and brisk - in the 50's and low 60's - with the leaves and the apples.... *happy sigh*

and i love snowy days. but if the skies are going to be grey, i want snow to be falling. i hate those weeks and weeks with total cloud cover and never seeing the sun, and not even having the pretty of the snow.
    Sounds like here. The Fall has been great thus far. The leaves are turning. The air is crisp and the sky has been clear and sunny almost every day. This is perfect weather for me. Come Winter though, bleah.... I don't mind the cold, or the snow, but the constantly cloudy gray sky is just too much sometimes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Preferred:

First: Chilly Coastal Mediterranean Climate: cool, sometimes foggy summers, cool rainy winters (with extensive breaks-I'm not talking about continuous Seattle drizzle) (San Francisco/Santa Cruz)

Close Second (maybe tied): Bayside Mediterranean Climate Still cool, sunnier with morning fog, cool rainy winters.

Third: Inland Delta Climate (where I live now) Cool rainy winters, somewhat hot summers-with Delta Breezes providing variation and cooling spells.

All three of my favorite climates have dry summers and (hopefully) damp winters, a semi-arrid savannah/oak forest/coastal redwood landscape.

Less Preferred:

Midwest/Continental Climate: Cold, humid winters, warm humid summers (Hometown:Indiana). I'm sorry, scraping ice off the windshield is not much fun for me.

Absolutely No Frickin' Way:

Southern subtropical. (Florida, Louisiana, Texas) Let's see: I'm off work and I want to do something outside, but no, it's the daily afternoon thunderstorm that drenches everything until 7:00 p.m. And, that humidity. The bugs. The beach culture . The rot everywhere.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I will never again live in an area with a climate that includes a cold, gray, snowy winter.
    Amen. Imagine driving from Indianapolis to Fort Wayne in February. Absolutely colorless landscape. I'll even take our Augusts

Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Amen. Imagine driving from Indianapolis to Fort Wayne in February. Absolutely colorless landscape. I'll even take our Augusts
    BKM: How do you drive so well with your eyes closed????

Greys, from silver to slate, browns, from tans to deep mocha, golds, from pale to rich, reds, purples and oranges. One of the most beautiful drives on a late winter afternoon was from Richmond to Muncie, through farm fields. Stunning. And colorful.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with 80 degree Christmases.

We don't get much winter precipitation here, so we hardly have any cold, gray days, and that's fine by me.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with 80 degree Christmases.
    80 degree Chirstmases? Sounds like Denver during the mid 90s.

-Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I really enjoy the continental climate of the Northeast Kansas area. There is the variety of weater extremes and the range of temperatures to make life and your wardrobe interesting.

I do miss the Western Kansas Wrath of God Super Storms that are so beautiful, and so damn violent. Seeing your first really loaded-for-bear wall cloud on a bright warm Spring day, knowing all hell is about to be unleashed in less than an hour, is an awsome life-afirming thing, especially, when you can see that bad boy rolling in on the flat high plains and also on your broadband connection to the NWS Doppler Radar! Then the lightning comes! Such power!

For those of you that have never seen one I couldn't recommnd more highly that you put it on your 'life's to do list."

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    I really enjoy the continental climate of the Northeast Kansas area. There is the variety of weater extremes and the range of temperatures to make life and your wardrobe interesting.

I do miss the Western Kansas Wrath of God Super Storms that are so beautiful, and so damn violent. Seeing your first really loaded-for-bear wall cloud on a bright warm Spring day, knowing all hell is about to be unleashed in less than an hour, is an awsome life-afirming thing, especially, when you can see that bad boy rolling in on the flat high plains and also on your broadband connection to the NWS Doppler Radar! Then the lightning comes! Such power!

For those of you that have never seen one I couldn't recommnd more highly that you put it on your 'life's to do list."
    I always see them going towards you as they leave the front range. Looking at Eastern Colorado has become a wonderful photographic opportunity at times.

-Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    (
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    BKM: How do you drive so well with your eyes closed????

Greys, from silver to slate, browns, from tans to deep mocha, golds, from pale to rich, reds, purples and oranges. One of the most beautiful drives on a late winter afternoon was from Richmond to Muncie, through farm fields. Stunning. And colorful.
    You are far more perceptive than I. All's I saw was gray. Stubble and bare dirt of slightly different hues, along with a totally flat industrial agriculture landscape doesn't count as "stunning" to me. You are a better man than I

Luckily, many here do prefer the Midwestern climate and landscape. We have far too much population growth as it is.

EX-Hoosier

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 118
    Last post: 17 Jul 2013, 11:14 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 7:48 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 9:04 PM
  4. Replies: 81
    Last post: 27 Dec 2004, 12:47 AM