Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nude Thread (So No Threads)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Nude Thread (So No Threads)

OK, Cyburbiafolk.....who's up to admiting that they have been to a nudist club or a nude beach?

For a number of years this Bear was on the Board of Directors for a nudist club in NW Ohio. We were a traveling club, meaning that we had no permanent home. Once a month the club would rent the use of a local indoor sports club. We played walleyball (using handball courts to play volleyball), swam in the pool, sat in the hot tub, used the exercise equipment. Everybody would bring a dish to share and we would enjoy a few hours of naked recreation.

During the summer we would travel to actual nudist clubs in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana.

It was a nice experience. I found myself spending most of the night playing walleyball ('cause I was good, heh heh heh). When I took my ex-wife there, quite a few years ago, she was quite comfortable. Katie (we have been married now for 10 years) didn't care much for it. I would kid her about the claw marks she put in the hallway when I took her to her first night at the club's gathering.

Over the years I have been to a few nude beaches, too.

It must be the eastern European heritage 'cause I have always enjoyed being that way. (Nudists in Europe are much more plentiful than in the states.)

And the question those of you who have never participated in nude recreation have asked is answered as: No, the men are NOT all walking around with woodies. I never saw one (1) woodie in all my years in nudist recreation.

Side Bar: This Bear likes the north country, such as the Upper Peninsula shores of Lakes Superior and Michigan. Only about a month to enjoy nude recreation up that way. To those of you in FLA.....you probably have nudist clubs right down the road from you.

Not So Shy Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You have doubtless heard my many complaints about my vampirically pale skin and how I would burn going out to my car in Southern California. I have owned (and do own) "tan through" bikinis that use wild patterns to cover up the private parts that they wouldn't actually hide if they were plain. Let's just say that a sunburn on parts that are sometimes referred to as "where the sun don't shine" is really unpleasant. So I am in no hurry to let it all hang out.

Still boring after all these years.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    OK, Cyburbiafolk.....who's up to admiting that they have been to a nudist club or a nude beach?
    Uhhh ... nope. I have been to undeveloped hot springs where nude bathing is the custom, but not a formal "clothing optional" environment.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've never been to a club, but went to Little Makena beach on Maui a number of times, Bonny Doon beach in Santa Cruz County (CA), a small place north of Muir Beach in Marin County (CA), and a very small beach in Sonoma County (CA)...I don't think it was named.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ewwww....me too ugly naked....ewwwwww...not happening ever.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not for me.

A guy I knew through work was written up in the paper for threatening to kill his aunt because she was going to tell his father that he, his wife and kids went to nudist camp on the weekends. So, instead of his father hearing it from the aunt, he and anyone who read the paper knows about this lifestyle of theirs. Dumba$$.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    [QUOTE=Bear Up North To those of you in FLA.....you probably have nudist clubs right down the road from you.

Not So Shy Bear[/QUOTE]
    We don't have any around my current home, but on the west coast of FL, north of Tampa, where I lived for 15 years, they're plentiful. I was surprised when I found out that an engineer at a local firm in our small town, who had submitted a gazillion zoning apps over the years, was a year-round resident at one. It was not a picture I wanted to see in my mind.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Off topic: but wasn't there a nudist colony that had a pedestrian overpass (chain link and all) installed over a highway. I vividly recall seeing a photo of colony members hovering over unsuspecting (or maybe suspecting) motorists. Or am I just on something.

Of course if you've ever been to the Canary Islands (Tenerief to be exact) you'd realize that you don't necessary have to have a beach designated as such.

Not in this lifetime, I find nudity revolting on most people, myself included. I'll take a pass in the next life as well. On the subject of tanning and having that bronze glow, I have come to prefer a nice "Whiter Shade of Pale", yeah, I'm of Irish descent. I look like a mutant in sunny SoCal. I avoid the sun these days at all cost'. I don't want that blistery skin when I'm older. I could use a move to a cooler climate.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Bear, maybe you could shed some light on why people do it. I'm not trying to be a wiseass, I just think most of us don't get it. I could do without an additional level of self-conciousness. And volleyball would seem . . . uncomfortable.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    My girlfriends and I used to have Naked Boat Day, where one day a summer, we would go out on a boat and just skinny dip and sunbathe for the day, but cover up when people would go by. And when we had our pool, I spent a lot of time naked in my back yard. but that's about it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nope, no clubs, but like Dan I have visited a couple of the undeveloped hot springs. As a hiker and backpacker, I've been known to take the occassional dip. There was a public beach near a town I worked in, that I stumbled across when canoeing the Wisconsin River one day. Locals had many interesting stories.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Yah, I'm not sure that anyone would want to see me naked. Plus, I think sports without a bra wouldn't feel to hot.

We do have a nudits resort Turtle Creek a few miles to the north. Year round. I don't know anyone who goes there. Website is work friendly, only shows a few rear ends.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I went to a nude beach in Sonoma or Marin one time (can't remember which) and it was no big deal really. It was so cold that day with the ocean breeze that most people weren't even out of their sweatshirts let alone nekkie. I've been to tons of hot springs that were clothing optional and opted for no clothing, but growing up in Cali, it was never a big deal.

Although as I grow older, my body isn't as hot as it used to be, I have become much more comfortable in my own skin and enjoy being nekkie more often than I used to.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    One summer I was an intern for a river recreation study on the Blackfoot River. One of the recreation sites in my area was Red Rock, the local nudie beach. The other intern, a woman, wouldn't go. So I had to do my duty. Yes, someone had to look at, err, I mean interview those nekkid women. I figured I wasn't getting paid and was only getting gas money, so I deserved one perk. I suppose the data from that site might have been slightly skewed because I didn't interview the naked men.

I did not go "native". I had on my pants, t-shirt and MT FW&P cap the whole time.

Another time I was rafting past Red Rock and there were three topless coeds sunning themselves on a big boulder in the middle of the river. Floated past them and tipped my hat "Good afternoon, ladies."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Skinny dipping in the summer waters of the Adirondacks is about the limit of my experience. It did make for a fun date one nite...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No nudist resorts or anything. I'm fine with being naked, although being nekkid is even better . I just don't care to spend my days walking around that way because, let's be honest here, nearly everyone looks better with their clothes on. However, more than a few lakes, rivers, and beaches in the South have endured the sight of my bare rear-end.

Never indulged myself but when I was in Aruba a few years ago the hotel next to mine was filled with europeans who sunbathed nude. I always took my walk up the beach in that direction.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    *Hums quiety to himself*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Like others, there are a number of creeks and swimming holes that I've skinny dipped in.

Even as a cyclist, who will change his clothes anywhere, I am pretty modest.

Funniest cycling related nudity thing has to be the Mount Snow Naked Crit.
    Never seen it, but heard about it.

The other would be co ed naked football at the Pedro's Festivals in Vermont. That I have seen.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Only a few times and only at Baker Beach in San Francisco. This place is so cool - it sits under the Golden Gate Bridge and you can't help but strip off your clothes and bask in all the goodness that the Bay Area has to offer....

Funny story about Baker Beach - My last time there, I was down on the beach and a fellow on the cliff (parking area) above started yelling things like "perverts, fags, losers, dikes, etc., etc." to the crowds below. Well, he lost his footing and rolled part-way down the cliff and (luckily) got jammed up in a clump of trees and brush about 50 or so feet above the sun bathers. It was hilarious to see some good samaritan naked folks start to scamper up the hillside to try to assist the poor guy all the while he is trying deperately to free himself to get away from the approaching crowd of freaks.

Mmmm, karma........

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I will go topless........if I am in a different country like St. Martin. Every once in awhile, I will indulge in skinny dipping if no one else is around but my husband elsewhere.

I am actually surprised by who will go naked. They never seem to be the attractive people that are worth staring at. It is always the chubby people that you stare at wondering why in the lord's good name do they do it???????

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    I will go topless........if I am in a different country like St. Martin. Every once in awhile, I will indulge in skinny dipping if no one else is around but my husband elsewhere.

I am actually surprised by who will go naked. They never seem to be the attractive people that are worth staring at. It is always the chubby people that you stare at wondering why in the lord's good name do they do it???????
    Hey, what about all of the Cyburbian who have admitted to the occassional dip? What are you saying about us all?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Hey, what about all of the Cyburbian who have admitted to the occassional dip? What are you saying about us all?
    Sorry Cardinal. I forgot that planners are the most attractive professionals ever!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I spent a semester in greece on an island. There was a nude beach there...and most were topless. As my Brazilian roommate in college used to say... once the suit is gone...the mystery is gone. Bathing suits leave room for the imagination which is usually better than reality.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 11:56 AM
  2. The Uncool Threads Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 15 Nov 2006, 9:17 AM