Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Obsessions with colors, shapes, or other characteristics.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow

Obsessions with colors, shapes, or other characteristics.

I have noticed that most planners have little things that could be thought of as OCD. For me, it is the color blue. I will go out of my way to use the blue mini binder clips, sign documents with a blue pen, use blue disks, folders, and even post it’s. Something about the color makes me calm. (and that is a good thing)

What is your Obsessions?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Always have to have ready access to a black pen and a red pen. I have one of each on me at all times when I'm at work.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Always have to have ready access to a black pen and a red pen. I have one of each on me at all times when I'm at work.
    ME TOO!!! Weird man. I also have snowy scenes everywhere. Skiing pictures on the cubicle wall, cutouts from Powder, Ski, and Skiing magazines, snow scenes as my computer wall paper. it hasn;t snowed here yet in No. Colo., but I think about it all the time, and like Michaelskis' fascination with blue, I think mine is snow.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I must have lots of colored pens and highlighters because they each have their own importance level. The same goes for sticky notes. I am trying to get over this quirk of mine but it is so hard.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    BIG ORANGE

Almost every map I make, the highlights are in orange. It shows up well in presentations and it is the color of rocky top...

Also in my personal life, anything the color orange, I am compulsed to buy. I have orange coasters, pens, dishes...etc...

If it wasnt for Mrs. H, my whole world would be orange...thank god for Mrs. H.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I always feel better speaking with a map in front of me. I don't have an obsession with any one color, but am very sensitive to balancing colors and tones.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    In a new discovered reality where it doesn't snow
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    ME TOO!!! Weird man. I also have snowy scenes everywhere. Skiing pictures on the cubicle wall, cutouts from Powder, Ski, and Skiing magazines, snow scenes as my computer wall paper. it hasn;t snowed here yet in No. Colo., but I think about it all the time, and like Michaelskis' fascination with blue, I think mine is snow.
    I can't talk about the snow yet... I got yelled by maister last time I said I wish it would snow. :-/ (No snow, no downhill skiing or snowboarding)

BUT THEY ARE SAYING THIS WEEKEND WE MIGHT SEE SOME.. nothing that will stay though.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I don't think I have any obsessions with colors, shapes or other characteristics but I do have a pretty bland wordrobe. I have very few colors out side the "earth tone" category. I'm trying to branch out an buy some new colors but it is hard getting outta that confort zone.

I do have a lot of stuff that is Blue, not really an "earth tone" so maybe that is my "Obsession color"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I only use a Uniball Micro black pen, and when the pen no longer writes clear and rich I toss it, even though it still has life in it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Like michaelskis I have a blue pen obsesson. I hate writing in black pen or in pencil.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Not that I do it very often, but when I write in pencil it has to be a 4H staedtler real wooden pencil. I'll setle for a 2H in a pinch.

I absolutely hate mechanical pencils (leads break and write unevenly) and markers(sound gives me goosebumps).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have to close the shades 3 times before leaving my house, otherwise my family dies...

Joking

Obsesions with colo(u)rs? Mabye blue... can't live without it...
    Can't think of anything else.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had a blue Saturn SL 2 w/ blue interior, and now have a blue Saturn ION 3.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Off-topic:
    This thread reminds me of a piece I saw by the comedienne Brett Butler. She is complaining about the girls at department stores that spray you with perfume when you walk by. She talks about being sprayed and told the perfume is "Obsession". She tells the young lady "Honey, you don't know what obsession is... obsession is climbing around in the bushes outside a married man's house with a machete in one hand and a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub in the other. Now you go home and tell your daddy that... and you tell him to call me."

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I can't talk about the snow yet...

What about 'colored' (yellow) snow???

...that would be on topic

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    What about 'colored' (yellow) snow???

...that would be on topic
    Made me think of Frank Zappa classic:
    DON’T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I always liked mechnical pencils (closet engineer, oh my god) but hated putting the lead in them. When I went to work where I am now, they had disposable mechnical pencils. I have been in love with them ever since and must have at least 3 on my desk at one time.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I always keep my work-issued stapler, tape, 2-hole punch, scissors, etc. in a desk drawer. This annoys co-workers who stop at my desk needing a stapler or whatever. I just can't stand the desktop clutter.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I can't talk about the snow yet... I got yelled by maister last time I said I wish it would snow. :-/ (No snow, no downhill skiing or snowboarding)

BUT THEY ARE SAYING THIS WEEKEND WE MIGHT SEE SOME.. nothing that will stay though.
    We have one ski resort open here in Colo. already, with more on the way. There will be snow today in the mountains, but none in the flatlands yet. (I still wake up to check though)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    I always liked mechnical pencils (closet engineer, oh my god) but hated putting the lead in them. When I went to work where I am now, they had disposable mechnical pencils. I have been in love with them ever since and must have at least 3 on my desk at one time.
    Same here! I must also have:
    Medium-point pens -- no ultra fines for me!
    My green marker that I use for my plats and reports. If anyone removes it from my office I hunt them down until I find it.
    Highlighters: bright yellow. Period.
    Various sizes of binder clips (paper clips are a pain)
    Desk calendar -- the big flat kind (in addition to my DayTimer)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What is your Obsessions?
    My obsessions tend to focus on proper grammar, spelling, and various other rules and usage of the English language.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I love the color blue. However, I don't particularly like blue cars.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Your behavioral characteristics
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Jun 2012, 1:20 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 07 Jul 2011, 4:10 PM
  3. Signs / billboards Regulating sign shapes