Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Apartment life

Registered
    Jan 2013

Apartment life

I loathe the people who moved in next door, their phone just vibrated for 12 mins straight at 7am on a Sunday. It sounds like it was amplified x10 by the wall between us, it was loud enough to wake me up, I don't know why it wasn't for them. The sound stopped only after I hit the wall a couple times.

I am still glad the yappy-chihuahua-loud-sex girl has moved out, but at least with her I knew the noise wasn't going to last very long .

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    I loathe the people who moved in next door, their phone just vibrated for 12 mins straight at 7am on a Sunday. It sounds like it was amplified x10 by the wall between us, it was loud enough to wake me up, I don't know why it wasn't for them. The sound stopped only after I hit the wall a couple times.

I am still glad the yappy-chihuahua-loud-sex girl has moved out, but at least with her I knew the noise wasn't going to last very long .
    I'm so over living in an apartment. Our problem isn't so much the noise that travels through the walls, but the hallway which is an echo chamber amplifying any noise. My neighbor and his lady friend have at times a contentious relationship, which frequently involves repeatedly ringing his bell and knocking on the door while pleading for him to answer. Another neighbor has a yappy dog that barks all day long.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I would rather live in a tent in the woods than live in an apartment or townhouse ever again. I had the neighbors from hell every time.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Wait...what...huh? A girl was having loud sex with a yappy chihuahua? Man and I thought this town was loony tunes....
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

We lived in an apartment the first 6 years we were married. There were a lot of retired folks in our building, so the noises/parties you often encounter with students weren't a problem, but we had a few neighbors over the years with frightening mental health issues.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

We lived in an apartment the first 6 years we were married. There were a lot of retired folks in our building, so the noises/parties you often encounter with students weren't a problem, but we had a few neighbors over the years with frightening mental health issues.
    We have two in our building, one is more of an eccentric and will talk to me occasionally. The other one can be quite scary when she's off her meds. She's pace around the circular driveway out front at 2am screaming nonsense and shouting at anything that moves. I've called the cops on her before since she was darting in and out of the road. She's a frequent flyer with the cops, they came, called her daughter, and once the daughter arrived they convinced her to go back inside. Sadly there's really no options for someone like her.

My upstairs neighbor at our old place was an asshole. Let his kids pretend they were WWF and throw stuff on the floor all the time, he'd play reggae music on full blast day and night, he'd pipe his video game system through his stereo speakers, and they were dirty. I couldn't figure out why there was a foul smell in the vestibule we shared until one day when their door was open I saw a bunch of dirty diapers that were wrapped individually in plastic grocery bags just laying at the bottom of the steps where it met their door. I wrote them a note about keeping the noise down after 10pm and left it on their door, the man came down and asked if I left the note. I said yes, he said here's your fing note and tore it up and threw it at me. He said he paid rent so he could do what he wanted, I said I pay rent and have the right to peaceful enjoyment of my apartment. He walked off. I called management and they said they would send him a letter and any time his music or video games were blaring between 10pm-7am to call the cops. The next time the music was on, I rang his bell and knocked, he came down and I told him to turn it down. He said what are you going to do. I said call the cops. That was the last time we ever had an issue.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I finally got lucky with my current apartment. Great price, great location, considerate enough neighbors (and the walls are pretty thick anyway). But the place I lived in before was a living nightmare. The neighbor who lived next door to me was a total gun nut and would frequently like to show off his collection, usually after he had a couple drinks (he also had a serious anger problem and frequently fought with his girlfriend). At the same time, the neighbor living above me was convinced he was abducted by aliens. He even wrote a book about it, and loaned me a copy. I'm not making this up.

One night, the neighbor above me (most likely under the influence of several drugs) passed out while he was drawing a bath. He subsequently flooded my apartment, and I started counting the days until I could move out.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've been lucky in the apartments I lived in. I had one neighbor who was a wine importer...good times. I had another place where the neighbors and I just hung out on the front balcony and drank. Everyplace seemed to have that one nut job around, but it was never my neighbor.

Does anyone think there is just better luck with garden apartments over apartment buildings. I've never lived in an apartment that had a hallway like Kjel is talking about. Mine always had a balcony or open place to hang out.

Vancity, just so you don't feel alone, I lived in a house where I had the drunk single mom who always complained about the latest guy. The worst was hearing her complain about her crabs. Not something I need to know about and not something you should talk loudly about in the backyard.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In terms of maintenance, I guess I got lucky as all of the managers were pretty responsive with maint. issues. Now that I man the 'complaint line' I am especially cognizant of this.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2007
    In my new apartment my upstairs neighbors are a couple that both are bartenders (at different bars) so that means they both keep odd hours and of course I 'hear' alot of their *ahem* couple time...which seems to happen often, its a little distracting to be honest when trying to fall asleep or when it wakes you up at 3AM.

They have fought a few times and one time they were throwing furniture out the back porch. Yikes. My guess is when the lease is up they split up, we hear them fight alot.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2013
    When my roommate and I first moved into our current building (old, wooden), we would get noise complaints a couple times a month. Sometimes it would be when there was only three (one guest over) or four (two guests over) of us talking indoors, other times my roommate would be showing me a song she`d heard, on her laptop speakers.... yeah... it was pretty ridiculous. I think whoever used to call in on us for every peep must have moved out..
    now we live underneath a child who screams, stomps, runs and jumps from 6AM-12AM everyday... who lets their toddlers stay up that late anyway? And those same people love to vacuum, at really weird hours, especially on the balcony, which is extra loud... as you know if you've ever used a vacuum on hard floors.

We also used to get blamed for smoking pot by our neighbours all the time, neither my roommate nor I has ever even tried pot... so..... yeah. Thats annoying, and embarassing.. just because we are young people doesn't mean its us

The building before this one that I lived in was concrete, and brand new... I never heard a thing, and nobody ever heard me, but the old man next door smoked all the time (in the non-smoking building) so that would come in through our windows and vents.

All this said, I prefer apartments to houses, I feel much safer in them, I like the views, and I prefer a compact, easy-to-maintain space.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My wife and I spent several years in two different apartments, one rental and one condo. The biggest concern that I had with each of them was that I did not have any yard.

We loved our condo, but it was small (one bedroom) so when we found out that we were expecting, we moved into our current home. It had a rooftop deck overlooking the city skyline, was walking distance into downtown, and several of my neighbors did not have a car because there is actually a decent city bus system here. It was nice because we could make the inside look how we wanted it to and did not have to worry about the maintenance of the outside.

Having said all of that, we like living in a house. I can plant a garden and landscaping. We have windows on all the sides of our house for light, and it is big enough for our family, plus having a guest room.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I lived is a lot of apartments before we got a house. Some were great, others were not. I had my share of good and bad neighbors. I lived in the upstairs of a place in Missoula which was definitely a mixed bag. On one hand it was across from the community garden and sometimes people would leave their overflow of vegies for others to pick up and there were the assortment of granola chicks. And, I cannot forget the neighbor next door who came by a time or two late at night with booty call requests

But on the other hand, all of my downstairs neighbors were problems. One cut our cable to try to hook into it. Another had loud fights every Friday about 2 a.m. And another had a baby, and the father was always coming upstairs to tell us to turn the stereo down (yeah, like his baby wasn't noisy, and did we complain about that?)
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Update on the new neighbours: I can very clearly hear them snoring at night. Like the vibrating phone, it carries right through my bedroom wall. No doubt the predictable rhythm of it will keep me up. Yaaaaaaay!

The thinness of these walls is ..... Preposterous!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Maybe you just need to make your own noise. conduct a dinner theater in your apartment to let the neighbors know how thin the walls are. Maybe have your phone set to an annoying ringtone and let it go.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Maybe you just need to make your own noise. conduct a dinner theater in your apartment to let the neighbors know how thin the walls are. Maybe have your phone set to an annoying ringtone and let it go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oUuu_bUxtU

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:25 PM
  2. Real Life vs. Virtual Online Life.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 9:29 PM
  3. Circulation on apartment floorplate
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jun 2005, 5:43 PM