Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Oct 2000
    After a month long plateau, I'm back on the loser wagon after starting a "Dog Whisperer" regimen with Parker, my highly neurotic Chow mix, that involves, among other things, a daily 45 minute walk.

So I've been getting up at 4:45 every day for the last couple weeks and doing a 45 minute run with her. I've lost a pound each week, and we've definitely had a mini-break through with her behavior.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I found that LAW-ree and I used to go out to eat a lot.... certaintly far more than I would when I'm alone. Does anyone really like to go out to eat alone? We would eat at eachothers homes on occassion. I haven't gone out to eat in awhile since I don't have anyone to go with. I wonder how much this attributes to my losing a few pounds?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    To piggyback on my stress lately contributing to my losing weight.... I went home early yesterday due to a very upset stomach. I had a couple Triscuits with timmamook chaddar for dinner and that is it. My first big meal will be lunch with my mentor from my college days.
    I feel skinnier, but this is not the best way to lose weight.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    To piggyback on my stress lately contributing to my losing weight.... I went home early yesterday due to a very upset stomach. I had a couple Triscuits with timmamook chaddar for dinner and that is it. My first big meal will be lunch with my mentor from my college days.
    Yeah, I lost a few pounds due to food poisoning last week.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I lost 5 pounds the last week due to moving. It's 103 outside and I'm hauling boxes and sh** around, sweating up a storm. It took hours to cool down. But we're done!!

Now, if I can continue the trend. I think more regular exercise is needed - and definately the indoor kind! It's supposed to be triple digits into next week. I'll be at the new office gym, or on my exercise bike - not outside courting sunstroke.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I lost a few pounds late late nite after Stan fest, never ever follow up microbrews with budlite

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Yeah, I lost a few pounds due to food poisoning last week.
    Oh food poisoning isn't long term though... I don't see why you people do such complicated diets... back in the 1800s people just had magic tapeworm pills and that helped them with their diet...

Yeah... it sounds gross, but to think that some people back then ate tapeworms just to loose weight is impressive... and yet practical, at least nowadays when modern medicine makes it easier to get rid of them...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I found that LAW-ree and I used to go out to eat a lot.... certaintly far more than I would when I'm alone. Does anyone really like to go out to eat alone? We would eat at eachothers homes on occassion. I haven't gone out to eat in awhile since I don't have anyone to go with. I wonder how much this attributes to my losing a few pounds?
    It probably has some impact because restaurant food usually comes in way too big portions where most people feel inclined to clean their plate. Also the food comes prepared with fats, salts, creams, etc in quantities that aren't necessarily good for you and most places do not provide you with nutrition info so you are in effect eating blind and probably more than you think.

We've curbed the eating out habit drastically this summer mainly due to my health issues and having to read labels on everything before eating it. My husband has lost 10 pounds, my daughter has lost 5, and I am slowly slowly slowly losing about a 1/2 pound per week due to some issues with insulin resistance and blood sugar levels and changing medications.

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Timmamook or Tillamook? I only ask having spent many a summer in Tillamook, Oregon at the beach and visiting the cheese factory a number of times.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I haven't gone out to eat in awhile since I don't have anyone to go with. I wonder how much this attributes to my losing a few pounds?
    Depending on what you're eating when you're out - I would say it probably does figure into your weight loss. I know that before I started to pay attention to what I was eating, I never ordered salad at restaurants. I ordered chicken parm, fried shrimp, mozzerella sticks, turkey melts - yummy cheesy deep fried goodness.

and even if you DO order a salad - if it has meat on it - proscuetto (sp?) or salami or any of the good stuff - croutons, cheese, sunflower seeds and full fat dressing - your salad could easily consist of 1/2 your daily recommended calories.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I was bad over the past weekend. I gained 2 lbs. Climbing back on the South Beach immediately.
    Me, too, but I re-gained 3 in the last week. Thanks a lot, bud!

Cooking a bunch of meat tonight to resume S Beach tomorrow!

I can't be too depressed, I'm 5 pounds under where I was a year ago.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I am about 15 pounds lighter now than I was in December. Yeah! All my old clothes fit me and I feel great. I would like to lose more, but I am at a really good, natural weight for my body, so no big deal if I dont.

What helped? I participated in a weight bet at work. I was initially intimidated by revealing my weight to people - especially those I work with. But then I thought what the hell, it's not like people can't guess anyway! It helped motivate me to get into an exercise groove and watch what I eat. I didnt win the bet, but didnt lose either. The bet ended in April and I just kept going and stayed with my routine. I was stuck at the same weight for a while, but recently started exercising LESS and for some reason I lost another 4 pounds or so. Isn't that strange? I haven't exercised at all this week (too hot out!), but I am still maintaining my weight.
    urbanchik

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by urbanchik
    I am about 15 pounds lighter now than I was in December. Yeah! All my old clothes fit me and I feel great. I would like to lose more, but I am at a really good, natural weight for my body, so no big deal if I dont.

What helped? I participated in a weight bet at work. I was initially intimidated by revealing my weight to people - especially those I work with. But then I thought what the hell, it's not like people can't guess anyway! It helped motivate me to get into an exercise groove and watch what I eat. I didnt win the bet, but didnt lose either. The bet ended in April and I just kept going and stayed with my routine. I was stuck at the same weight for a while, but recently started exercising LESS and for some reason I lost another 4 pounds or so. Isn't that strange? I haven't exercised at all this week (too hot out!), but I am still maintaining my weight.
    You may be losing muscle mass, that would be the most logical reason for weight loss when working out less. I have only lost 35 pounds but due to the muscle increase from lifting and running, I have dropped 4 sizes. Many time people don't lose any wieght when working out but lose inches.
    Congrats on the weight loss!!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I went to my doctor who told me my thyroid is still way too low and they tripled the dosage so I am hopeful that will help my quest...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Timmamook or Tillamook? I only ask having spent many a summer in Tillamook, Oregon at the beach and visiting the cheese factory a number of times.
    Off-topic:

Weird, I do not know where I got Timmamook. It was Tillamook all along. And it was tasty stuff.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Since having Ella 10 weeks ago, I have dropped all but 13 pounds of the baby weight. However, I could really stand to lose 30 pounds total. I am back to teaching water aerobics for fun, but I keep eating M&Ms like they were going out of style. I started Mr. TN and I on a regular fitness routine, so far we are only seeing the toning up effects.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have started walking regularly (well, until last night because of the heat). A few days ago we walked across the neighbourhood to the Jewish Community Centre. It has an awesome weight room and fitness center, and free courses like pilates, yoga and various karate classes. I think we'll sign up in the fall... only $400 a month for a family membership. Can't wait for the kids to go to karate... they love classes.

So we're going to look at this as a family fitness thing. It's the coolest little place, and it's so quiet. And only 15 minutes away (walking, that is).

My hubby bought me a present for hitting the halfway point to goal... I got my own softball glove. Too cool, because I want to play next year and that gives me 11 months to break it in.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The dinner report from Bistro Jake:
    I blew the diet tonight. Ive been craving a baked potato for a couple of days. Yep, I ate a small one with butter and sour cream along side a BBQd filet mignon. Plus the typical green salad. I am satisfied.

On the good side, I weighed in at 171 lbs. this morning. Im sure the scales wont be so kind tomorrow. I'll be better tomorrow, I promise myself.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have blown S Beach for the last couple weeks but have been good the last couple days and have to stay there at least this week. Because I know I'm going to mess up all weekend. Would like to be down to a good weight before the FL APA in Sept. Since it's still beach weather.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been having problems eating/exercising with the heat. I'm trying very short walks and very small meals. So far, everything is just hanging in at the same weight as last week. I'll take it!

I blew it this weekend, even ate at Quiznos (and I ain't talking salad!) But I've been doing good otherwise, so it didn't show up on the scale.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    nerudite - I hope those are elbows on you avatar. Because on quick glance....well, I'm a guy and somebody had to say it.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been stepping up the exercise by walking for longer distances. I've been doing about 3.5 to 5 km a day (don't want to push it too hard just starting out). I didn't see a weight loss (well, more than .4 lbs) for a few weeks and then finally I got a big whoosh and 3.5 lbs just disappeared. Maybe I've been eating too much salt or it has something to do with the heat. Total now stands at 59 lbs.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Whoa... any shrinking people out there drink as well? I haven't had wine in AGES, and tonight I had two small glasses (probably total of 6 to 7 oz total), and I'm very tipsy. Just a regular cheapish valipolicella. Whew... what this better way of eating is costing me in food money, I'll make up for in wine money.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, the diet just went to hell last weekend and I added tonnage. Salads and red wine have gotten me back to 171 lbs. Oh god, the weekend is coming up. I can cook well for myself. I crave pasta. Linguini and clams with a nice chardonnay? Restrain yourself. Restrain yourself, RJ.

Do you think if I shaved my legs I'd loose weight?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Since starting to take my dog on a daily 3.5 mi. run in the morning, the weight has been slipping off - I'm now down 15 lbs from when I weaned the twins, almost 4 months ago.

Nerudite - We have GNO a couple times each month, and a pint is about all i can handle in 3 hours. So I make sure its a REALLY good pint.

Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi
    Since having Ella 10 weeks ago, I have dropped all but 13 pounds of the baby weight. However, I could really stand to lose 30 pounds total. I am back to teaching water aerobics for fun, but I keep eating M&Ms like they were going out of style. I started Mr. TN and I on a regular fitness routine, so far we are only seeing the toning up effects.
    I found that while I was breastfeeding, my weight would plateau - simply because it was a balance between keeping my milk production up, and keeping my weight stable.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a strong urge for linguini and clams tonight. Butter, cream, garlic, olive oil. The pasta would blow the diet into the next county.

+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28