Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    So... is the ANY time a beer can be consumed during South Beach?

What if I did the meals with my GF, but had a beer every now and then.

Wine only might not work.
    After the first 2 weeks, you could probably have an occasional beer.
    And the wine? Should be red only (less sugar)!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    After the first 2 weeks, you could probably have an occasional beer.
    And the wine? Should be red only (less sugar)!
    From what I read last night, SB no alcohol for the frist 2 weeks. (Do-able) Then wine during phase two until target weight is reached. Then Phase Three allows for more room.

This no beer thing is freaking me out. Maybe I have a problem.

I can tough it out though. But I hate fad diets. I just need to get my ass back to the gym on a regular basis.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    From what I read last night, SB no alcohol for the frist 2 weeks. (Do-able) Then wine during phase two until target weight is reached. Then Phase Three allows for more room.

This no beer thing is freaking me out. Maybe I have a problem.

I can tough it out though. But I hate fad diets. I just need to get my ass back to the gym on a regular basis.
    I actually don't consider SB a fad diet... it's just a sensible one that outlines what you should and should not eat. Have you read the book? It's actually quite good, which is why I started.

I have beer on special occasions, and just make sure to be otherwise good that day. I haven't noticed any particular side effects, other than I am such a lightweight now when it comes to drinking. If you followed South Beach, but still had a beer or two once a week, it's still a hell of a lot better than eating a regular high-carb diet and drinking every week, you know? And that's the beauty of South Beach, you can tweak it to work for you.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I suppose you are right. My beer consumption now has gone from quantity to quality.
    Make sure to stick with a tasty, bitter, and hoppy IPA; a robust stout; or a hearty porter and I will not drink as much.

Of course autumn beer fests are beginning.

What about gin and diet tonic? I like that drink.

Whiskey?

Or should I just read the book when the fiance is done?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What about gin and diet tonic? I like that drink.

Whiskey?

Or should I just read the book when the fiance is done?
    Actually, gin and diet tonic is a good substitute for beer when you go out drinking. You should probably read the book though, because it's the reasons behind why you should eat various foods over others that will make so much sense to you. And that's what helps you make better choices when you are faced when less than ideal situations. Once you start to read the book, you'll see how it all works out on the glycemic index (and why beer is evil ). But as a Guinness devotee, I can't say I've totally cut beer out of my diet... just cut it back considerably! Even if you ate according to plan with your GF, you will probably see excellent results because men seem to do much better on this diet than women (plus, I'm sure she'll appreciate the support). My husband has lost 15 pounds just from changing his eating habits during supper, and eating the way he regularly eats the rest of the day.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ and I have been sooooo bad. It's been a carb-fest weekend. Ah, but brunch.....yum.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I just finshed my second beer for this Sunday evening. Hoping to clear all of them out for the next two weeks.
    South Beach is a go.
    Going to try the 2 week Phase One "Cleansing" and then see what is happening thereafter.
    It is something to look forward to, change is good.
    Had a final dinner of fried chicken and chocolate cake.

Wish me luck.

-Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Had a final dinner of fried chicken and chocolate cake.

Wish me luck.
    good luck. You kinda feel like a condemned man, with the "final" meal. But really, you'll feel much better in a couple days. If you feel light-headed, it's just the carb thing, you'll get over it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Down 2 lbs....must be from all the packing for the move. Anyways....looking forward to my new more pedestrian lifestyle in a few weeks time.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I re-established a passion for sorbet this past weekend--lime sorbet this time. Low in fat, low in calories. It represented dessert after the eggs benedict. Now, if I could find some orange sorbet at Publix... Thanks, Catherine de Medici.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I re-established a passion for sorbet this past weekend--lime sorbet this time. Low in fat, low in calories. It represented dessert after the eggs benedict. Now, if I could find some orange sorbet at Publix... Thanks, Catherine de Medici.
    Make your own. It's very very easy if you own an electric ice cream maker. I got one in June and have had a lot of fun with it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Make your own. It's very very easy if you own an electric ice cream maker. I got one in June and have had a lot of fun with it.
    But it's so much easier to get it at Publix. I live alone. No fun in doing it alone....well, there is that one alone thing.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Down 2 lbs....must be from all the packing for the move. Anyways....looking forward to my new more pedestrian lifestyle in a few weeks time.
    Friday is the kick off for a Pedometer Challenge with my girlfriends. 3 teams of 3 competing for glory and money. Everyone pays into the kitty (or can, for fans of Rescue Me) and the winning team walks away (pun intended) with $135 (to share) and the overall winner gets $45 of their own. I'm in charge of all excel spread sheets! *gleefully rubs hands together*

oh - and i think i'm going to totally clean up this competition.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My wife and I joined Weight Watchers last week. Hoo-boy, I have a long road ahead of me to meet my goal. Using the Points system has been an adjustment, but so has been altering my diet. I cannot believe how much less food I need to eat in order to stay within my daily point allocation! It's been hard, but I am not eating all the high-carb, empty calorie junk that was a regular part of my diet. For lunch yesterday I made a chicken wrap in a whole-wheat Flatout flatbread slathered with tomato basil humus and a half-slice of reduced-fat swiss, and it was the best-damn wrap that I have ever had in my life. Wow, it was absolutely yummy! I think I can do it, but I do go to bed hungry. But I am also sleeping better. I guess that my body has to work extra hard now to burn off all those fat cells in my spare tire. Anybody else notice a change in their sleep habits?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    On my second day of South Beach. I am less hungry already and beginning to understand things more about the plan.
    Breakfast was good, and I am spending my lunch hour at the driving range hitting golf balls rather than chowing down on a heap of Chinese food.

Things are better. Yesterday I was really hungry and it was tough being without my sugar rush. Now things seem good, and even my whole outlook on life has gotten better.

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2006
    ZMAN,
    (I love your avatar by the way. I'm a big Bruce fan.)

Is the GF doing SB too? That would make it way easier for ya. The first two weeks are brutal, but you are sure to lose 8-12 lbs. if you stick with it. After that you can eat more tasty things. I'm a big cereal eater, so going without cereal for those first two weeks was brutal. But, after Phase 1 you can have SB brand cereals, and there are some Kashi cereals that are even healthier (7-grain puffed wheat is definately diet-friendly) The meal replacement bars are actually very good, as far as diet bars go, especially the chocolate and peanut butter chocolate ones. I usually have one of those for breakfast, along with a bottled water with Crystal Light On the Go. And you say you usually have chinese for lunch. The SB Dining out Guide actually says that chicken w/ mushrooms, beef w/ brocoli and beef w/ green beans from Panda Express are allowed in Phase 2. So, I go to Panda Express for lunch once a week. Be sure to buy some Splenda, and use it anytime you would usually use sugar at home. I can't say enough good things about the SB 30-minute meals cookbook. The meals require a big initial investment for all the spices and things, but I would not survive this new lifestyle without it. And, be sure not to skip meals, and there is no reason to get burned out on eating the same things again and again, especially once the two weeks are up.

GOOD LUCK!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's so good to see so many people taking the bull by the horns! Zman, glad to see SB is working out better for you. I love it, when I'm sticking to it! I'm having a hard time this month though... summer is hard on the diet

Wanigas, that's so cool that you are doing WW with your wife. It must be so much easier for both of you that way. Every time I've done a diet, I've never had anyone at home doing it as well. Made it really hard to make the smart choices every time. I try not to let it bug me, but it is hard to eat celery when the person next to you is eating french fries! Hopefully the program will work for you both

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I cannot believe how much less food I need to eat in order to stay within my daily point allocation!
    When Rob and I first did WW, we were both shocked at how many empty calories we were eating. Rob's typical breakfast was 2 slices of toast with butter, a banana and a giant glass of OJ. Which was almost 10 points - just for breakfast!

My best advice for WW is to utilize as many 0 point foods that you can fit into your diet. We eat huge salads for lunch, with tomatos and cucumbers and green beans, and just 1 point for the salad dressing. We chop carrots and peppers and celery and bring that in for snacks. we eat a lot of sugar free jello. sugar free popisicles are 0 pts.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    ZMAN,
    (I love your avatar by the way. I'm a big Bruce fan.)
    Off-topic:
    Two buttons heading out your way for being the first person to recongnize the Bruce avatar.

Yeah, the Fiance is doing SB too. We're doing better today. I actually don't mind the meals during Phase I and we usually cooked every night, so there is nothing different with that.
    My biggest problem is all the eggs for breakfast. I hate eggs, although Ms.PLAN has been cooking eggs with lots of stuff in them to distract me, like mushrooms, onion and asparagus. AND you can use hot sauce so it hasn't been really bad.

I also find that the focus of Phase I is helping curb cravings for sweets, particularly dark chocolate M&Ms.

Our office just approved a Panda Express and it is currently under construction. Perhaps a good lunch stop? Yes.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001

Our office just approved a Panda Express and it is currently under construction. Perhaps a good lunch stop? Yes.
    Ugh, the salt at that place kills me. Gain three pounds just from water.

I like eggs, but I'm not a breakfast person. I wasn't really keen on eating eggs for breakfast every morning. I opted to make a Phase I friendly shake instead. Basically it's just a little bit of milk, a few splenda packets, tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa, 1/2 c. of skim ricotta, teaspoon of instant coffee and some ice all blended up. Tastes awesome, and it's a hell of a lot better than eggs everyday! Plus, the cocoa got rid of my chocolate craving for the day.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Last night, something we ate on our SB approved dinner was bad. We both got sick. Now, our usualy post-sick foods were bread or crackers, now we're in trouble.
    Today, I am craving bread like no other. A salad for lunch with not do it for me. I am tempted more so after the first 2 days than the book said I should be.

But, my pants are really loose today.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001

Wow!

Holy crap! I just tipped the scales at 168 lbs. That’s three pounds from my goal. I need to set a new goal. Maybe down to 160?

I swear by the red wine diet. Oh, and the SB helps too. So does the encouragement of a friendly Cyburbianite.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Doing really well this weekend (despite the 70% cocoa lindt chocolate I keep consuming). 61 lbs down, less than 50 to go. Had about 12 people say something this week. What's really helping is I've started walking a few times a day. Both breaks, and sometimes at lunch. Averaging between 4 and 7 km per day... the coolest thing is that my thighs are finally slimming down a bit, and I've lost an inch in my waist in the past few weeks. So even though the scale isn't going down too fast, I can really feel the difference.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    ... the coolest thing is that my thighs are finally slimming down ....
    oooooh, I like thighs.....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

ZMan, you Loser.

Well, ever since the 4th day of SB, my stomach and overall digestive tract decided to go a tad crazy on me. Nothing gross, it just felt like I got punched in the stomach and that I was getting appendicitis (sp?). Sooooooooooo, I have begun a modified, SB/ZmanPLAN Plan. Basically it is a combination of phase II of SB (a little early), put down the fork!, no refined sugar, and no white flour.

I feel better already, and I am still supporting my fiance in her pursuits of the SB diet by eating the basic meals on the plan. She is looking good, and I am looking better. And feeling better to boot.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club