Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Mar 2006
    When I was about 8 days into SB I caught an awful stomach flu from my daughter. I was throwing up for over 2 days straight. At that point I had to screw SB for awhile. I had frozen waffles, popcicles and 7-up for a couple days. I lost an additional 5 lbs. that week, but it was from being severely dehydrated, not from SB. But once I was better I just stuck with phase 1 for an extra week, and didn't gain any weight back. It just took longer before I kept losing more. That is the good thing about SB. You can fall of the horse (during holidays, or at a party) and you can just jump back into phase one for a few days and be fine.

This weekend my husband told me I'm looking skinny. I was all "Do I look like I'm in shape, or do I look like a weakling? If you saw me on the street would you say I look skinny, or thin?" He said "I can't say anything right. You're looking good. That is my point." But, in all seriousness, I'm afraid I am leaning towards looking like a scrawny weakling. That is the problem when I lose weight. I've been doing pilates. Any other suggestions?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Basically it is a combination of phase II of SB (a little early), put down the fork!, no refined sugar, and no white flour.
    You have what's called the 'induction flu'... basically your body trying to get off the carbs. I got it really bad for about a week, and then it went away altogether. So did you lose your first week, or are you not weighing in?

Tell your fiance kudos!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    But, in all seriousness, I'm afraid I am leaning towards looking like a scrawny weakling. That is the problem when I lose weight. I've been doing pilates. Any other suggestions?
    The swiss ball can work wonders for muscle tone and strength. the best part is you can do it watching TV and not even notice you are working out. Best for working on "core muscles"

Only problem is a 24-30 inch ball is hard to store.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    You have what's called the 'induction flu'... basically your body trying to get off the carbs. I got it really bad for about a week, and then it went away altogether. So did you lose your first week, or are you not weighing in?

Tell your fiance kudos!
    I did lose, and I look thinner. But I not doing South beach as seriously anymore. After reading the book, I have become convinced that there is some deprivation while the author says there is no deprivation.
    I'm sorry, no beer for the rest of my life (as the book implies) is not going to work.

Now, sugary snacks and white flour I will live without, but if I have another salad then God help the people around me. (But I do like salad, I just have to begin a slight moratorium).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Now, sugary snacks and white flour I will live without, but if I have another salad then God help the people around me. (But I do like salad, I just have to begin a slight moratorium).
    See... but you are still doing the right thing. You read the book, and figured out how it couldn't be your lifestyle for the long term. The key to South Beach is that it is a way of life, literally. So now that you've read the book, you can understand how food/drink affects you so you can make wiser choices. I bet you won't look at food the same again, and that will help you with your weight loss goals, even if you don't follow SB to the letter.

I don't follow it to the letter either. Mostly I go over on my daily allowance of chocolate. And so I haven't been losing as fast (well, until this week). But just work with the parts that you know you can do, and you'll still feel better. Cutting out flour and sugar was hard at first, but now I find that eating too much of either gets me really ill. So maybe Dr. A has something there.

On my progress this week: the new meds are making me really lose my appetite. It's been a struggle to eat all my snacks and full meals. I've lost five pounds just this week, mostly because I"m home all day and bored, so I'm going on lots of walks. I'm within 3 lbs of my husband now... I'll weigh less than him soon!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Yeah, it has been good. Yesterday I had peanut butter cups (2), but afterward my sweets craving was satisfied. (GOOD!)
    Now, I will have a cheese stick and see if the admin staff has put out any dark chocolate M&Ms, of which I will have a small handful.

I am down about 6 pounds since doing this and I am going to the gym again. When I get some extra cash (I am also on a diet from credit card spending), I will purchase a good whole grain cookbook and make pizza!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Since leaving Florida and not working in a real profession, I am back to teaching water aerobics for fun to help get the baby weight off. I think I am about to go nuts because I am toning up, but not really losing the baby weight. It may be because I keep eating ice cream and M&Ms like crazy. The Philly area has so many tempting foods around like water ice, ice cream places every 50 feet and cheese steaks. On a good note, my prepregnancy clothes are fitting again.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I haven't had a great past month, but am backon the bandwagon. Went to the store last night, loaded up on protiens (meat/cheese and some veggies) and am gonna give this a shot. I gained 5 pounds back over the past month of eating like crap AND I have felt horrible, mentally and physically. I still have the last 10 pounds to go (and now 5 more on top of that) from my original goal. Its amazing what food can do to your mental and physical health.

Registered
    Aug 2005

emotional eating

are any of you emotional eaters?

i totally am and i recognize this. unfortunately i haven't been able to work past the recognition stage to the not-using-food-to-feel-better-stage. any suggestions?

i've been packing up my life and dealing with all the stresses of moving and to cope with all that stress and emotion i've been binging on the M&Ms and baking cookies and treats supposedly for my BF but i end up eating more of them. GAH.

i know once move and develop a bit of a routine i'll start eating better but right now i've gone a bit crazy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ^^^^^
    I've always been an emotional eater, and that's a hard one to break. What really helps though is just not bringing that stuff into the house. So if you really want it, you have to go out and get it. The only 'bad' stuff I have for me is a box of dark chocolate bars in my fridge. I won't eat them cold, so I know that if I want one, I would have to let it sit there for awhile before I eat it. Since it's not an instant gratification, I skip it until I really want it.

My other trick is that I live 1 km from the nearest convenience store. So if I really want something *that* bad, I have to get off my arse and walk down to get it.

Are there any non-sugary foods that can be comfort foods? I've come to like string cheese quite a bit (since it was one of my childhood faves), and it takes me awhile to eat it since I peel off tiny strings at a time. Also, pistachios remind me of Cali, and they take awhile to eat (once again cracking the shells). I also love hardboiled eggs (like Easter!). So maybe look for alternate comfort foods.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    are any of you emotional eaters?

i totally am and i recognize this. unfortunately i haven't been able to work past the recognition stage to the not-using-food-to-feel-better-stage. any suggestions?

i've been packing up my life and dealing with all the stresses of moving and to cope with all that stress and emotion i've been binging on the M&Ms and baking cookies and treats supposedly for my BF but i end up eating more of them. GAH.

i know once move and develop a bit of a routine i'll start eating better but right now i've gone a bit crazy.
    Ummm yep. It sucks too. My sister in law was going through a really bad time and lost 45 pounds. Nope, I'm the type to gain it. I wish I could offer some advice, but I'm in the same boat. Lately I have been eating horribly, but luckily not gaining any weight. However, I feel like crap - tired, lethargic, fatigued, etc. My skin is looking bad, my hair is brittle.

It is a horrible cycle - I feel bad, no energy to cook so just eat something bad, can't get up to at least go for a walk, then I feel even worse, even less energy to cook, etc. I just need to stop the cycle.

I was thinking about doing some sort of detox diet for the next week - nothing crazy like grapefruit only or cabbage soup or whatever. But something I can just suck it up and stick with to get the ball rolling.

I know what I need to do, so why is it so hard??

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Have you tried South Beach, SW MI Planner?

The first phase is definitely a detox phase, getting all the carbs and sugars out of your system. It will leave you feeling pretty achey and tired. But, eventually your body becomes accustomed to just relying on long-term energy stores, instead of the short-term boosts you get from empty carbs and sugars that just leaves you feeling more tired quicker. Now when I crave non-SB foods (pasta, cookies, cake, etc) I know it may taste good, but I would feel sick and tired if I ate them, and that is enough reason to keep them away. It has gotten to where I'll see a Little Debbie display at the grocery store, and I look at those boxes of snack cakes and I just picture it all turning to fat in my body, and it totally grosss me out.

My daughter's birthday is this coming Sunday, and she wants pizza and ice cream cake. My husband and I will be trying the Digorno's wheat crust pizza, and ordering other pizzas for our guests, if they want. And I'm only interested in having a very small piece of the ice cream cake. I know eating it will make me feel tired, though.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    With my personbality I am either a comfort eater or I lose weight like crazy because I have no appetite when stressed. Last stree period I lost nearly 30 lbs. Before that I was on a 5 year gaining trend of 5 lbs a year.

Why do empty carbs have to taste so good?

I second nerudite's way of dealin gwith food, I don't keep that stuff around and have to walk a few blocks to get it. On the way to the junk fod store I pass a fruit stad and buy fruit instead an deat it onteh way to buy junk. if I still want the junk, then at least I've walked for it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Are there any non-sugary foods that can be comfort foods?
    Yes, most of my comfort foods are non-sugary. Basically my fall elk chili and Hungarian Sauerkraut soup fill the void of memories long past. I really like my mom's green chili and homemade macaroni and cheese. Sure, some sugary stuff can be comforting for me, but mostly older homemade stuff that is an entree (so to speak) and my comfort foods.
    But thinking now, I think that when I have a bad day I definetly want to get a big pizza for dinner and a couple of tasty beers, (because I deserve it)

cch, is DiGornio's wheat pizza enriched or whole grain? Be careful with that. I was thinking of my creedo with my work in the local Econ. Development Board about supporting local businesses. There is a great pizza place right down the street from me, BUT I cannot eat there anymore (unless they want to bake a whole wheat crust). But I still advocate people in town to go there.

-Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Ummm yep. It sucks too. My sister in law was going through a really bad time and lost 45 pounds. Nope, I'm the type to gain it. I wish I could offer some advice, but I'm in the same boat. Lately I have been eating horribly, but luckily not gaining any weight. However, I feel like crap - tired, lethargic, fatigued, etc. My skin is looking bad, my hair is brittle.

It is a horrible cycle - I feel bad, no energy to cook so just eat something bad, can't get up to at least go for a walk, then I feel even worse, even less energy to cook, etc. I just need to stop the cycle.

I was thinking about doing some sort of detox diet for the next week - nothing crazy like grapefruit only or cabbage soup or whatever. But something I can just suck it up and stick with to get the ball rolling.

I know what I need to do, so why is it so hard??
    Girl, forget a diet (I mean eat something healthy) but get up, take your daughter for a walk, a long, fast paced walk. Get your heart rate up, sweat a bunch and you will feel better almost instantly. The only hard part is getting motivated to do it. Just get up and go do it. Don't even think about it. Your daughter will love it and you will feel better instantly. I bet you'll even feel like cooking when you get home!!
    I get SOOOOO depressed when I don't work out and it takes me days to figure out whats wrong. One day at the gym (sometimes it takes 2 for a lasting efffect) and I feel better. Try it. Don't focus on the food, focus on excersice....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    Girl, forget a diet (I mean eat something healthy) but get up, take your daughter for a walk, a long, fast paced walk.
    What she said. If you're lethargic and bummed, this is not the time to worry about a diet. Move around, have a few healthy snacks or meals, and then decide how to change your eating habits.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I blew the diet all to hell tonight: Linguini in a white clam sauce.

Hadn't eaten all day and I was hungry But it was sure good.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Started back on Atkins on Monday and have lost 8 pounds..some water but I know a few were real pounds...feeling MUCH better. Now i am off to eat some eggs.....

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    What she said. If you're lethargic and bummed, this is not the time to worry about a diet. Move around, have a few healthy snacks or meals, and then decide how to change your eating habits.
    I couldn't agree more with ZG and Jax.

One of the best purchases I've made in the last year is the backpack carrier - I picked up a really nice Kelty on ebay, and it has been so kind to my back. I even carried Jack around for 15 minutes the other day without killing my neck/back. it is SUCH a good workout - with Brae in it, the carrier and him together add 30 lbs - and the kids LOVE it.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    With the husband gone for the weekend, Mac and I have been blowing any semblance of a balanced diet with chocolate ice cream sundaes for dinner.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wanigas, that's so cool that you are doing WW with your wife. It must be so much easier for both of you that way.
    Thanks! And thanks to everyone else for the encouraging words. After two weeks on Weight Watchers, I have lost 11 pounds. Yea!

My stomach is now trained, and I can eat much less without feeling hunger pains. My clothes are starting to feel a little looser, but not much. I'll know when things are much different when I can buckle my belt a notch or two further than before.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    Get up, take your daughter for a walk, a long, fast paced walk. Get your heart rate up, sweat a bunch and you will feel better almost instantly. The only hard part is getting motivated to do it. Just get up and go do it. Don't even think about it. Your daughter will love it and you will feel better instantly. I bet you'll even feel like cooking when you get home!!
    OK, and herein lies the problem! So we go for a walk this week. She does great for about a quarter mile. The she sits down. I say, Josie, come on, lets walk. She says "No mommy, I am in a time out!" with a huge ass grin on her face. I say "Honey, you are being really good, you don't need a time out". She continues to sit there. So, I pick her up and carry her about ten feet, she squirms and says she wants to walk. So, I put her down to walk, and she promptly sits down again and says she is in a time out. Repeat this literally ten times. I ended up just picking her up and carrying her home. She won't sit in a stroller, not a burley. She won't walk. This is why I am not motivated to walk (and downright fustrated). Not the actual walking part, but dealing with a two year old headstrong little girl. So, moral of my story, is that I have to go in the morning, and have been setting my alarm and not being able to get up.

There is so much going on right now with me, and I need to use that energy to get some exercise instead of letting it drag me down. Instead of complaining I need to just do it.

Oh, and CONGRATS Wanigas?! Hopefully your wife is liking it is well!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas? View post
    My stomach is now trained, and I can eat much less without feeling hunger pains. My clothes are starting to feel a little looser, but not much. I'll know when things are much different when I can buckle my belt a notch or two further than before.
    That's a good feeling, Friend. Way to go!

-Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    So, moral of my story, is that I have to go in the morning, and have been setting my alarm and not being able to get up.

There is so much going on right now with me, and I need to use that energy to get some exercise instead of letting it drag me down. Instead of complaining I need to just do it.
    I must have been having a good day when I wrote that. Although its true, I have been having a difficult time following my own advice. I can't get out of bed anymore either and its not for lack of sleep. I don't want to get up, I dont want to excersice. Sunday I laid on the couch ALL day, not exaggerating, ALL day. That is not who I am, I have a TON of energy, never stop going but the past 6 weeks have been a nightmare for me, something I have never experienced and something I cannot control, for the first time, excersice is not working for me either. Good luck and you are right, stop complaining (or finding excuses) and get up and do it...will your daughter sit in a wagon???? Its not that comfortable for you but it may get her used to riding?? what about a bike with a seat or her own bike??? That may work too....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, and CONGRATS Wanigas?! Hopefully your wife is liking it is well!
    Thanks! Oh yes, she gives me mucho compliments everyday! She has lost weight, too, so that's great, but I won't talk about it, ya know how ladies are about their weight. She looks great!

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28