Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Now: I want my reward for politeness and patience for all the times I refrained from saying that under circumstances where it would have come across as a personal attack.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/valanwo...la%20award.jpg

Ahem ... personal attack? Sorry, but you can call it that only of El Guapo, michaelskis, prudence, Chet and the other more outspoken right-leaning folks here think that my being critical of the Bush administration is a personal attack against them.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Feb 2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Off-topic:
    Dan What? Am I in trouble again? And I'm trying so hard this political season to play nice and now this?!?.
    When it comes to expressing your political beliefs, holding back for fear of offending the leftie crowd isn't necessarily good. You've been vocal about your political leanings, and it's a good thing, IMHO. I'm a strong believer in maintaining a diverse marketplace of ideologies.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Ahem ... personal attack? Sorry, but you can call it that only of El Guapo, michaelskis, prudence, Chet and the other more outspoken right-leaning folks here think that my being critical of the Bush administration is a personal attack against them.
    Thank you for the glorious reward. But I am confused about your example about "personal attacks". It sounds to me like you think I am saying that your comments about women are "a personal attack". I am not. Can you please clarify your meaning so I can try to avoid sticking both of my big fat feet in my mouth with a response to, perhaps, something you never meant? lol.

Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    PS MZ That outfit just screams first 3 weeks back in the US 1986 post-3 year German tour! We GI's used to call that look a Kassern Queen or Petra. Which translated into english means, "sure thing."
    Oh, that's a Hoot. I had a 2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old. I had been married for 7 years. And it was, um, 1991? But I appreciate the inside info. That is not the kind of thing most men will tell you they say about you when you aren't around. Oh, and in High School, I was generally regarded as The Ice Queen or some such. No one from my high school would even ask me out. The idea that someone would see me as A Sure Thing is hysterical.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When I was in Jr. High, I was under 100 lbs, when I was in HS I was only about 130ish. Now I am at 175 and my goal is 200 lbs.

I think that people often misunderstand the concept of weight. It should be targeted towards Body Fat Index instead of weight.

I extremely fit 511 can be 225 and only have a 9% body fat index, and muscle weighs more than fat does.

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    And so the political machine continues!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I was somewhat chubby in high school, lost all the weight in college and eventually got down to about 98 lbs when I was around 25 and finally levelled off around 107. Gained 28 lbs with my son. I'm not down to 107 again yet, but between South Beach and the "hurricane diet" I'm getting there.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Oh, that's a Hoot. I had a 2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old. I had been married for 7 years. And it was, um, 1991? But I appreciate the inside info. That is not the kind of thing most men will tell you they say about you when you aren't around. Oh, and in High School, I was generally regarded as The Ice Queen or some such. No one from my high school would even ask me out. The idea that someone would see me as A Sure Thing is hysterical.

I was talking about the fashionable look that was all the rage with German girls who wished to go to the big PX. - not your particular proclivities in the frigid-slut spectrum. Sorry, but almost any male GI in Germany during the time I'm talking about will back me on this one. There was a NATO Mattress (The German Term for girls that dated GI's) look. No offense meant, but I not sure I helped myself with my follow up...opps I see the red light.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    M Zone.....

You are beautiful the way you are.

Bear Stevens
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    roflol
    EG, I wasn't in the least bit offended by your initial comment, just amused. But please spare me any further explanations -- stop while you are behind.
    PS -- I did live in Germany and my husband was still involved in RPG's so we had single GI's at our apartment most weekends that he was at home and I would cook them Christmas dinner and stuff like that. I am aware that there were German women looking to marry "a rich American" or have a second child out of wedlock to get the additional bennies...etc.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    M Zone.....

You are beautiful the way you are.

Bear Stevens
    Of course I am
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 20 Oct 2004 at 4:15 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I tell ya, pregnancy is the best thing. I've actually been losing weight (my little monkey has been nicely sucking the fat out of my behind for me) and when he finally arrives, it will be the quickest 10+ lbs I've ever lost!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've talked about my weight in another thread. (And I think there is a photo of me and NHPlanner somewhere in the Denver Alefest thread, so it's not too much of a secret what I look like).

What I wanted to post though is that I think I just found a new exercise for the winter: shoveling snow. I tried my hand at it last night for the first time EVER, and my god it's tough. Especially if it's iced on. All I did was the front sidewalk (about 55' or so) and I was beat afterwards! I hope we have a thaw, because I'm not looking forward to the driveway!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    ...All I did was the front sidewalk (about 55' or so) and I was beat afterwards! I hope we have a thaw, because I'm not looking forward to the driveway!
    Ah, a southern California native in the snowbelt.

Now you can make cool snow sculptures from the piled snow.

Just don't wuss-out and buy a snowblower because they are for weaklings.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:

Ah, a southern California native in the snowbelt.

Now you can make cool snow sculptures from the piled snow.

Just don't wuss-out and buy a snowblower because they are for weaklings.
    Off-topic:

Yeah, I made the mistake of wearing my down jacket out to do the shoveling... had to take that off within 5 minutes! Just like everything else, I'm probably learning the hard way, but I'm learning! I promise I won't buy a snowblower (although it's tempting). I just have to get my arse out there and shovel the snow next time BEFORE it's compacted and iced onto the sidewalk. I'm sure that makes all the difference!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I definitely go through streaks of weight obsession.

We're back on the Trying To Conceive monkey train, and after each failed cycle, I have a renewed interest in dropping a little more weight. i'm about 10 lbs under my pre-prego weight - which feels good, but after the baby, my body is NOT the same. I used to be (self considered) fertility goddess-esque - all boobs and hips, little waist, and now that baby belly is just so stubborn and after breast feeding, the old girls just ain't what they used to be.

Mostly though, I try to focus on other numbers, like my most recent 5K time, and cholesterol, and BMI. All of which are respectable and healthy. well, maybe not my 5K time, but my BMI is within the normal range.

But I will admit, that when I was 9 1/2 months pregnant, there was NOTHING worse than weighing more than my husband.

This was last weekend, apple picking. Its the only recent pic i have of me here at work.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    OT: I have this feeling that there will be a couple of new submissions on hotornot.com....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    OT: I have this feeling that there will be a couple of new submissions on hotornot.com....
    Perhaps we should start a new Post Your Pic thread. It has been a while since the last one.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    What I wanted to post though is that I think I just found a new exercise for the winter: shoveling snow. I tried my hand at it last night for the first time EVER, and my god it's tough. Especially if it's iced on. All I did was the front sidewalk (about 55' or so) and I was beat afterwards! I hope we have a thaw, because I'm not looking forward to the driveway!

What is this snow you speak of? I can't believe you guys have snow already. It is still October.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Why do you think that?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The Z Man put on some pants today that fit a year ago. TOO TIGHT! Soon after, he grabbed his workout gear and plans a stop on the bike in 3 hours.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Why do you think that?
    Why, because I am devastatingly attractive, and feel the need to share my glory with everyone, of course. Look at that snuffling muzzle, the sleek pelt, the doe-like eyes. I'm not suprised that you all feel the same way about me.

<personal story>
    In seriousness, in the second year of grad school I had a wee bout of illness and got tossed onto some nasty (and in my opinion, vastly over-prescribed) pills that did vicious things to my body chemistry. I went from 175 and peaked out at 220 pounds. I felt awful and black about everything. In a fit of self-affirmation last year, I threw away the pills junk science had given me, fired my doctor and turned to exercise and good nutrition to restore order. I now measure in at a fit and healthy 6', 190 pounds, feel great, run regularly, and am back to wearing my old 32x32 jeans. And I'm a much happier guy.
    </personal story>

I think the mind can overcome a lot of the challenges we face in our lives, if we have the faith to believe in and place value in ourselves, I'm concerned that modern medicine has placed too much value on pharmaceuticals in a healthy lifestyle, and in the medical system. I'm gladdened by the stories of courage and determination from my fellow planners on how they deal with their own life problems, and I salute you all. Because I think you're all hot.

Except for Nerudite. You can't be hot in Edmonton, and I'm sorry about that on your behalf.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Spatial_Monkey
    Except for Nerudite. You can't be hot in Edmonton, and I'm sorry about that on your behalf.
    Hmmmmm... don't know how to take this. I was certainly hot last night shoveling snow in my down jacket!

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I am 5'11" and 175-180 pounds. I went through a period immediately after college where I stopped working out and ended up getting kind of pudgy. Then I moved to Austin and started rowing again. I replaced most of the fat with muscle, but my weight remained about the same. I think I am at about the 'right' weight.

Off-topic:

Hmmmmm... don't know how to take this. I was certainly hot last night shoveling snow in my down jacket!
    With humour, of course. I'm an ex-Calgarian, and I can't resist taking shots at anything Edmonton related.

It snowed here last night too. Wee! More snow for the ski hills!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Why, because I am devastatingly attractive, and feel the need to share my glory with everyone, of course. Look at that snuffling muzzle, the sleek pelt, the doe-like eyes. I'm not suprised that you all feel the same way about me.
    [utter silliness for the sheer fun of word play] Yes, you are quite adorable...but I don't date dogs.[/utter silliness]

However, that still doesn't clear things up for me: why would you (or anyone) want to post a pic to "hotornot.com"??? Clearly, you are hot, you know you are hot, you have been through an extreme mind- and body- altering experience to get your head on straight about your priorities and your self-image. Why would you care what a bunch of total strangers think about what you look like? Well, not even what YOU look like but what a PICTURE of you looks like. And pictures are highly unreliable indicators. I have pictures of me that are stunning and pictures of me that are pathetic -- some of them taken the same day, minutes apart. Photos are art, not reality.

MZ, completely puzzled by the idea.

Why would you care what a bunch of total strangers think about what you look like?
    My opinion, hotornot photos generally fall into two categories.

1. Friends post friends/enemies photos as a practical joke
    2. People post their own photos for low self-esteem/gratuitous self-affirmation issues

Mention of hotornot in this forum context would, I believe, fall under category 1. (friends to friends for fun).

And I try not to date dogs either, but sometimes you just can't tell at 3AM

Registered
    Jul 2003
    1. Friends post friends/enemies photos as a practical joke
    eewww. You mean I need to go to that nasty place to see if someone here has snagged a photo of me as a practical joke? eewwww

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28