Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Call me crazy, but I want to lose 20 pounds before the baby is born. I want to reinvent myself and start fresh for a new chapter in my life.
    Your supposed to gain sympathy weight with your wife, then lose it together after the kid is born.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Call me crazy, but I want to lose 20 pounds before the baby is born. I want to reinvent myself and start fresh for a new chapter in my life.
    My brother's first child is due this month, and he's gained over 40 lbs. He and GF have been plumping in tandem.

This is all about stress, as far as I can tell. Maybe you'll be able to lose weight on stress instead.

As for my progress on South Beach, I'm still doing OK. I lost 5lbs. in first two weeks, 15 to go. Too bad my doctor thinks I might have arthritic knees! At 32! I gotta find a pool to swim in nearby, since running is probably out.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I'm starting to feel a bit like humpty dumpty...this stupid Atkins Diet, I am sick to death of chicken and I think all I have eaten in the past 3 days is eggs, tuna fish and sausage....I wish fat was the new thin

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How many of you eat diet foods or "light" foods with sucralose (Splenda) in them? I've discovered my digestive tract doesn't properly process that sweetener. I get gassy. It took me a while to find the culprit. But after eliminating the foods with the big bright and happy Splenda logo, I still had the problem. After reading all the ingredients on all food boxes, I discovered sucralose is a common additive. On the Weight Watchers "Smart Ones" entrees, it's a common ingredient. I guess that's how they get the point values so low!

Registered
    Feb 2004

Developing a Routine

Okay, I'm officially tired of being out of shape and have finally decided to Get Serious and Do Something about it.

My goal is to get down to the fighting weight and relative level of fitness I enjoyed back in my mid-20's. That means I will need to lose in the neighborhood of 30 lbs. and build enough muscle mass back where I should be able to run 3 miles (I'd be happy running 6-something minute miles), do 16 pullups, and maybe do about 100 situps in two minutes. I have also set myself the goal of not spending any money on gym memberships or equipment while working to achieve those goals. I'd also like to set a deadline when I will achieve this. In making this public announcement here it will add one additional incentive - I'm hoping you will HUMILIATE me if I fail to achieve those goals by the deadline.

I can be fairly disciplined when it comes to adhering to a certain diet but I already know ahead of time I have next to zero self-discipline when it comes to sticking to a workout routine. So the thing I now have to figure out is 1. what to eat, 2. what workout routine to follow and 3. what deadline date is realistic to accomplish my goals....any suggestions?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The extent of my diet plan at this very moment is drinking a Diet Coke. Really though...my long commute isn't helping me any.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I am down 7 pounds, but a total of 17 from my highest weight ever (not including being pregnant). Working on it, now just need to be more consistent with the exercise!
    OK, now down 35 pounds from highest weight; 18# since May. After that last post 2/07, kind of held steady for a few months. Joined a gym in April and go 3-4 times a week doing 30 minutes of cardio, weights, and abs.

As far as what to eat, I have just been concentrating on choices and portion control, not really following anything specific. Just tried to cut out the fried foods, drive-thru, sweets, etc. I don't deny my self anything because that, for me, leads to cravings!!

Maister- do you have a place you can work out? I know down here we can use the exercise room at the fire dept if we wanted to.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Maister- do you have a place you can work out? I know down here we can use the exercise room at the fire dept if we wanted to.
    In terms of weight rooms, treadmills, and traditional gym equipment stuff, no I don't, but am fortunate to live across the street from a nice 100 acre public school-owned property. There are tennis courts, ball diamonds, and cross country trails galore. I intend at the least to do my running there.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So the thing I now have to figure out is 1. what to eat, 2. what workout routine to follow and 3. what deadline date is realistic to accomplish my goals....any suggestions?
    the simple answer is you need to burn more calories than you take in, so obviously exercise is key, along with a healthy balanced diet. i try to stay away from fad diets but from what i remember, i do think the maintenance or Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet is a good guide for what to eat. lots of leafy green vegetables, fiber, lean simple proteins, limited amounts of refined sugar.

muscle burns more calories than fat, so you need to increase muscle mass. a dr. i spoke w/ said one needs to exercise 30 minutes a day to maintain one's weight, 90 minutes a day to lose weight. i would suggest a combination of cardio and weight training.

they (who every they are) say that one should look to lose about 2 lbs a week for a healthy weight loss. the fad diets can help you lose more weight quickly (instant gratification) but they aren't always healthy and a lot of times there is a greater chance of falling off the wagon.

*inhales hershey kisses*
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 24 Jul 2007 at 4:23 PM. Reason: grammar police
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    the simple answer is you need to burn more calories than you take in, so obviously exercise is key, along with a healthy balanced diet. i try to stay away from fad diets but from what i remember, i do think the maintenance or Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet is a good guide for what to eat. lots of leafy green vegetables, fiber, lean simple proteins, limited amounts of refined sugar.

muscle burns more calories than fat, so you need to increase muscle mass. a dr. i spoke w/ said one needs to exercise 30 minutes a day to maintain one's weight, 90 minutes a day to lose weight. i would suggest a combination of cardio and weight training.

they (who every they are) say that one should look to lose about 2 lbs a week for a healthy weight loss. the fad diets can help you lose more weight quickly (instant gratification) but they aren't always healthy and a lot of times there is a greater chance of falling off the wagon.

*inhales hershey kisses*
    So I guess the 'vodka & salad' diet is out? .

I seem to recall reading that 2lbs per week number before so it sounds like I should plan on about 15 weeks. Which would put my deadline date right around the second week in November.....perfect timing. I'll be super hungry just in time for Thanksgiving!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So I guess the 'vodka & salad' diet is out? .
    That really all depends on what you mix with the vodka

If you goal is a 6 minute mile, you can google training for 5K or half marathon or whatever and it will give you a training schedule.

I'm nearing 20 pounds under my driver's license weight. Hooray. I'm also adding muscle. Hooray.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Penguin is becoming leaner and meaner! SuperSexyPenguin is not too far away (and still single!)

But no, I'm not setting deadlines. I'm pushing myself, but I don't want to push too hard and blow something out. So, slow and steady wins the race. I'm just gonna stick with it, and I'll be in shape when I'm in shape.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG and I returned to the South Beach diet yesterday. Fortunately, red wine is allowed. My goal is to get down to 165 lbs.; about 7 lbs. to go.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    All through my life i have been a avid weight trainer, and excercise freak. In college I played football( started out as a cornerback but moved to strong safety (2nd string/short yardage/goaline, cause i like to hit) and weighed 207lbs when i graduated. For the next ten years I weight trained like crazy and got up to 232lbs with a 7% body fat. I then got into Roadracing Motorcycles and drop my weight to 175lbs. It was in my racing phase of my life that I got married and had two beautiful daughters.3 years ago i retired from racing at 190lbs. Fast forward 11 years, old slim step's on the scale and what shows up......261lbs (I am 6' tall). F*&^% I said. This was 5 months ago and I am now down to 190lbs..

My motto in life 'Put your head to it and you can do it" yeah its stupid but I am so cocky/arrogant/fill in the blanks.

My wife comes up with a lists of reasons why she cannot lose weight..........she calls me lucky, I am but not because I am able to lose weight I am lucky because I am able to construct/deconstruct reassemble into elements that work for myself

Quote Originally posted by craines View post
    My motto in life 'Put your head to it and you can do it" yeah its stupid but I am so cocky/arrogant/fill in the blanks.
    Nah, it's not stupid. I've been overweight my entire life, even as a little kid.

Then one day, I said "ENOUGH." Went out, joined a gym for the first time in my life, and I'm busting my assets. Even the manager made a remark about me being one of the only guys there the other Friday evening.

I'm by no means lean and mean yet, but I'm making an honest effort, and the pounds are coming off slowly but surely. I just remind myself every day about why I'm doing it, and that gives me the drive to push harder.

Today: 3 miles, 30 minutes, 10 seconds.

I'm also noticing these odd growths on my arms. Rumor has it, they're called "muscles."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ZG and I returned to the South Beach diet yesterday. Fortunately, red wine is allowed. My goal is to get down to 165 lbs.; about 7 lbs. to go.
    After golf yesterday and before I hopped in the shower, I stepped on the scales and I was 1/2 lb. under 170 lbs!! Four and one-half pounds to go to reach my goal!!!! The heat, humidity, diet, and the little bit of exercise I get are working.

I still weigh 2-much. Hovering around the same point. Perhaps trading fat for muscle, but I'm not sure. Sigh.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SuperPenguin View post
    I still weigh 2-much. Hovering around the same point. Perhaps trading fat for muscle, but I'm not sure. Sigh.
    Maybe. Did you have a body fat percentage test done before you started on the exercise/diet regimen? That's an easy way to check for that particular shift. The should be able to do it at the gym.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Did you have a body fat percentage test done before you started on the exercise/diet regimen?
    Not immediately before, but yes, at one point in the not too distant past. Not that I remember it off the top of my head.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Grrrr! Two steps forward one step back. The first week I managed to lose 6 lbs! Last week gained 3 of those back (damn you beer!). Who knows, maybe it's all that rock solid muscle I'm gaining.

I dropped another pants size.

Almost died at the gym today, too. Note to self: Do not go to gym hungry.

I probably was behaving like I was stoned out of my mind afterwards, because I was in such a stupor. And, to make it worse, I've been munching all night and adding in calories. Blargh.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I fell off the South Beach horse a few months back... damn you McDonalds and your two apple pies for $1!

But, my husband and I started it up again yesterday. I'm scared to weigh myself, but I have a pair of "goal pants", that I was fitting in perfectly, and now not so much. I just want those pants to fit comfortably again.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i'm stuck at mrphfrphwrph pounds and can't seem to get below it. i had lost 5lbs which i'm happy about but i've plateaued.

the stupid part of the whole thing is i haven't changed my diet or activity level and every morning i step on the scale expecting it to be dramatically reduced. duh. wishful thinking.

i joined two more soccer leagues so starting in two weeks i'll be playing soccer 4 times a week. i hope that will help some.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I fell off the South Beach horse a few months back... damn you McDonalds and your two apple pies for $1!

But, my husband and I started it up again yesterday. I'm scared to weigh myself, but I have a pair of "goal pants", that I was fitting in perfectly, and now not so much. I just want those pants to fit comfortably again.
    I like using goal pants rather than a scale. As long as I'm keeping track of a goal somehow, it doesn't matter. The scale fluctuates too much with muscle gain, loss, water retention, etc. I lost 50 pounds in 2002 and I just used clothes that were a little too small. Each week I'd try them on and watch as I didn't fit, fit, and then swam in them. Very rewarding. Then at the end I got a whole new wardrobe!!!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I lost about 55 pounds a few years ago and then slowly gained it all back. Very depressing.... I've had a hard time getting back into it. I finally decided last week I couldn't stand it anymore (that's how the 55 lb loss started), but I'm trying a new tactic - working out in the morning. I am actually shocked that I've been able to do it. I thought it would never work. But there I am, getting up at 6:30 and doing the elliptical. Here's hoping it continues.

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28