Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I like using goal pants rather than a scale. As long as I'm keeping track of a goal somehow, it doesn't matter. The scale fluctuates too much with muscle gain, loss, water retention, etc. I lost 50 pounds in 2002 and I just used clothes that were a little too small. Each week I'd try them on and watch as I didn't fit, fit, and then swam in them. Very rewarding. Then at the end I got a whole new wardrobe!!!
    Fitting into smaller clothes is always my goal, since you're right, weight does fluctuate. I can't express how happy I was to finally get back to the point where I could shop at regular stores. $12 for pants instead of $50 at the fat man store is very nice.

I also don't beat myself up if I fall off the horse, I just go back the next day or week and work out again. I'm not trying to be an olympic body builder after all, just reasonably fit.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Hovering around the same weight for a while now. After the wedding, my wife and I put on a couple pounds, but we have been eating better. I usually get to the gym after work and lose myself amid a choice selection of workout songs (for body and mind) on my iPod. This routine has become more of a method to clear my mind from work before I get home and has worked for the most part as I do not feel "plump" even if the weight has not dropped. Also, working out frequently allows me to enjoy some good enchiladas and beer on the weekends without any guilt.

segue

Diets do not work. I say, deprivation leads to depression. One must look at total eating habits and lifestyle in the kitchen instead. I have looked more at the synthetic ingredients that are put into food (and soon into me) and chose to focus more on simpler foods, basic foods, and the preparation of my own ingredients.
    For breakfast, I eat a lot of pancakes. I like pancakes and they make my happy. But I choose to eat only buckwheat pancakes made with non-enriched wheat flour.
    I love pizza too. But now I make my own wheat crust and freeze extras for the future. Making my own also allows me to choose the toppings I put on as well, thus choosing my culinary path.
    As for beers, I still drink a lot, but that is a choice and I choose not to get all kerfuffled about drinking them. I choose full flavor and things that will make my mouth happy. Why even drink beer, if you are going to choose a "health beer" But, the choice with beer that I have made is that my consumption of such is limited to weekends only. It'll have to be a loooong, tough day for my to have one during the week.

And guess what? I am happy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    After the above rant, I have been selected as one of 30 employees here at the city to be placed in a "Biggest Loser" competition. We'll get a training schedule, free personal trainer, and a dietician for two months. We even get a free t-shirt and cash prizes.

With my food preferances, the dietician will either have an easy or a hard time with me.

"Please don't say no beer... please don't say no beer..."

"There will be no beer had on this meal plan*."

"Does scotch and gin count as beer?"

*-notice, I did not say "diet"
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am down by 10 pounds. Took some time and I have a ways to go. I knew dieting wasn't going to work for me. I lack the willpower to go without for an extended period.

I decided to modify my eating choices and exercise more. So every day I eat my lunch at my desk then at lunchtime I go for a walk.

I am eating better but not depriving myself of those things I love. Just having them in moderation.

It took me years to get my weight up to where it was. If it takes me a few years to bring it back down to normal, so be it. Right now I am losing maybe two pounds a month. I feel about the same. A few of my pants are looser.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

I'm wearing an XL-sized shirt. A year ago, I was buying XXXL. (It's a bit snug, and scratchy, but it might feel better after washing).

I was out shopping today, and bought a size XL jacket, and it was actually a bit roomy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Been yoyo-ing big time. Down only 3 total but lost 5 this past week.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Scotch and Gin fall within the realm, as does pizza, of spirtual healing and it should be assumed that they are automactically OKAY as any part of a healthly lifestyle.

Simple rule: Calories expended must exceed caloric intake.
    Simple rule: If a diet recommends a beer reduction, find another diet or construct your own and make it work so you can shut the "NEGATIVE FOLKS UP"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Traveling + d!ckhead men = me loosing weight
    I am so damn busy anymore and my nerves are so shot my wieght is decreasing...not a ton ot anything vut I a back into pants from last year that I couldn't get on since last December....so, feeling alright just stressed...got back from AZ yesterday, booking a trip to L.A. for next week....between Arizona and California I am going to have 3 free airline tickets by Christmas

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    After four weeks of the City Weight Loss Competition, I have lost officially 10 pounds, but unofficially it is more like 18 pounds

Also, 3 inches off the gut and a new sense of being in shape.

I am running 2 miles in under 20 minutes and cycling like a mad man (I have grown fond of hills).

This is working pretty well, and I didn't have to change much with my diet, only eating smaller portions.

-Peart

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I am down 41 pounds total since my highest weight, 25 from June. Not sure how many inches, but doing really well! I feel so much better too....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I am down 41 pounds total since my highest weight, 25 from June. Not sure how many inches, but doing really well! I feel so much better too....
    Woo-hoo! Great job!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Anyone have good luck on Nutrisystem? I'm going to give it a try.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    Anyone have good luck on Nutrisystem? I'm going to give it a try.
    Isn't it pretty expensive?

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I got an anonymous letter with a nutrisystem ad ripped from a magazine. Very very odd. Someone must be trying to tell me something.

I have known people that used it and it worked well for them. It is expensive and you do have to buy some veggies and such to supplement the program.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by graciela View post
    I got an anonymous letter with a nutrisystem ad ripped from a magazine. Very very odd. Someone must be trying to tell me something.
    If that's from a real person in your area, that is the worst thing I've ever heard!! You should interrogate all your friends and family and do some downsizing (not of yourself, of your friends)! But I've heard about stuff like that from the actual weight loss place. Could it have been a marketing scam??

Random Fact -- I'm down 43lbs since January, but I've stopped eating well (and the gym -- sadly, I haven't seen it lately) and surprisingly, I've stopped losing weight. Not gaining either though, so we're alright. I figure when I start having time again, I might be able to shed a handful more pounds and get down to sharing clothes with my best friend (she's a size 4 -- maybe a pipe dream).
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tipped 'em at under 170 lbs. a couple of mornings ago. Haven't been there for a very long time. But after today's employee potluck, I'm afraid of stepping on the scales for a few days.

Tonight's dinner should help: French onion soup. ZG practically begged me to make it when I got home. She'll owe me for this.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Went to the doctor today. I was down about 30 pounds since the last time.

I still weigh too much, though I think part of it is due to my 20 pound wallet, 15 pound car keys, and 22 pound cell phone that I had on me. Yeah, that's about right.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm down 50 pounds total. And look hot. But still hung up on an ex that is a shady piece of crap. Lost the weight, not the baggage.

Congrats to everyone!! It takes a lot of work, but worth it in the end...

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks from a spinning class, yoga and Pilates and drinking more water than coffee - yeah!

SWMIP - you are my hero!

Registered
    Nov 2002

I want to be a loser, too!

Count me in among the 2008 weight loss attemptees.

Slowly working my way into the Weight Watchers Flex Plan approach. It's a challenge bringing my food input down to the recommended points level.

Given my appetite, I'm gonna have to start exercising more if this is gonna work at all. Thankfully, we bought our first pupple a few weeks ago - and she loves long walks at a fast pace. And hills? Yeah - we got those, too.

My goal: 20% body weight reduction.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm down 50 pounds total. And look hot. But still hung up on an ex that is a shady piece of crap. Lost the weight, not the baggage.
    WOW! I am sure that hot comment was my attempt at sarcasm but I should have included the appropriate smiley! I am the least egotistic you would ever meet so hopefully that didn't come across wrong Not hung up on the ex anymore, so thats good!

Anyway, down 55 pounds. Was 58 until the holidays hit! I think I ate my weight in cookies and fudge. So anyway, back on track with eating well and working out......

SGB, it's crazy, but when you figure in the amount of calories you were eating, its amazing!!! I was always crappy and wondered why I wasn't losing weight - but geez when you eat 4000 calories a day, what would I expect? I am a total advocate for food journals so you (anyone) can track what they eat, when they eat and other bad habits that you pick up subconsciously.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    WOW! I am sure that hot comment was my attempt at sarcasm but I should have included the appropriate smiley! I am the least egotistic you would ever meet so hopefully that didn't come across wrong Not hung up on the ex anymore, so thats good!

Anyway, down 55 pounds. Was 58 until the holidays hit! I think I ate my weight in cookies and fudge. So anyway, back on track with eating well and working out......

SGB, it's crazy, but when you figure in the amount of calories you were eating, its amazing!!! I was always crappy and wondered why I wasn't losing weight - but geez when you eat 4000 calories a day, what would I expect? I am a total advocate for food journals so you (anyone) can track what they eat, when they eat and other bad habits that you pick up subconsciously.
    I was going to comment on myspace how great you look but might as well do it hre!! COngrats girl! You look amazing....

I am heading back to the gym for the first time in a long long time today...not just for the weight factor but mainly because of this depressed crappy feeling I have had for the past few months.....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Slow but sure. Down 8.8 lbs since November. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're not even 5 feet tall, that's a bunch. Jeans I couldn't even get over my hips last fall are now getting loose. Another 1.2 lbs and I'll be happy, happy.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My three month tour through South Asia allowed me to lose 19 pounds. I hope to continue the downward trend
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Down 70, still want to lose another 15-20 pounds, but not sure. Right now I am at my high school weight and don't remember being smaller. So who knows how much is appropriate.

Still got man issues though....I am considering buying a bunch of cats and being the crazy cat lady that most every neigbhorhood has

ZG How awesome to have that goal, I can't even imagine! Kjelsadek great job!

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28