Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    this is my first time to this thread...but about 5 weeks ago I started weightwatchers online diet. I have lost 15 pounds..I like using the computer for keeping track. Makes me think about what I am eating. I am inspired by others on this thread to keep at it. My ideal weight would be to loose about another 20-25 pounds.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Down 15 lbs. from a month ago. Depression succeeded where diets failed!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    had lot ~5lbs. then proceeded to gain it all back this past weekend.

i'm hoping that with BF out of town, 4 soccer games a week, and 3 dog walks a day i'll be able to drop that 5lbs and more.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I am down 21 lbs... made the ww goal 4 weeks in advance. I think my dog passing sadly added to the ability to not eat.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I ran a Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator on this old body and here was the result:

Your weight is in the normal range.
    You do not need to lose weight.
    Although it looks like I'm at the upper range.

Body fat was 13%.

If you dare, here's the link.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Milestone!

First post ever to this thread.

Today I got on my (new) scale, and what to my wondering eyes should apear...

but some new smaller numbers, with the first one being a 1 instead of a 2.

It's been quite a while since I saw that. yes I've been working at it...started the hit-the-Y thing around the holidays, and I guess all the muscle mass I've been building took its sweet time to supplant the lightweight fat cells.

In January I printed out an Excel graph with a straight line showing 2 lbs per week, and I did that when I weighed less than the upper figure. So my weekly dots are below the line, thus adding incentive.

The line ends at June at about 35 lbs lighter.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Congratulations, Veloise!!! Milestones like that really help. And I'm happy to see someone else who uses Excel as a weight loss tool!

Almost 20 pounds for me since September. Mostly through eating less (and somewhat more healthy), a small reduction in pop intake (but not enough - I'm an addict), a bit of strength training, and running. Lots of plateaus and falling off the wagon in those 6 months, but I'm back on the wagon and happy about it right now.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    After my little girl was born premature, by the time she was out of the NICU I was back to weighing more than I did right before she was born. I was eating fast food lunches every day as I'd make the drive up to see her, and eating free day-old pastries in the family lounge at the NICU all the time. At home in the evenings I was gorging on Little Debbie and Hostess crap, purely to comfort myself when I'd feel stressed and scared. It didn't help that my marriage was falling apart, on top of everything else.

By the time I came back to work in Aug., and none of my old work clothes fit (except for maternity clothes), I knew I had to get my butt in gear. Since then I've joined a "wellness center" gym place, and I've cut out bad carbs and sugar, and I've lost 35 lbs. Last time I dieted and did South Beach I got really skinny, but scrawny and weak. I wasn't working out. This time I am, and I feel a thousand times better.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i need to lose 10lbs and would like to lose 20lbs by the summer. i'm hoping with spring weather knocking on the door it will help me get off the couch and out and about.

i need to cut down on portion size and reduce the sweets. making brownies and monkey bread last night didn't help the cause.

a friend is getting married in late May, family vacation with BF's family in July, and family cruise with my family in August. i want to look decent in all those pictures.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Down 70, still want to lose another 15-20 pounds, but not sure. Right now I am at my high school weight and don't remember being smaller. So who knows how much is appropriate.
    After a summer of being sick with gallbladder and pancreas issues, combined with a boyfriend that liked to drink and go out all the time, I ended up gaining 10 pounds last summer, and have since dropped five of it. But I'm still down 65 total, and working on some more.

It's really a habit changing endeavor. I'm glad that this has taken me a year or so because I wasn't thrown right into it but have learned to adapt as I go.

With my schedule (night meetings, my daughter) it's hard to get into a gym routine, but I'm trying. I feel so much better when I go, both physically and mentally.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't own a scale but have lost 2 or 3 dress sizes with getting healthier. There was no goal to lose weight and there still isn't. The only goal was to get healthy and get my life back, which is happening.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone View post
    I don't own a scale but have lost 2 or 3 dress sizes with getting healthier. There was no goal to lose weight and there still isn't. The only goal was to get healthy and get my life back, which is happening.
    That's basically been my goal as well. I did see my friend from the Asia trip last year this past weekend and she said "wow you've lost some weight and look great!". So I weighed myself and indeed I am down 22 pounds from last year. We've made a concerted effort to eat at home more where I can control ingredients and portions.

Although I have no choice but to drive to work the three days that I do, the other days when I have class I do walk quite a bit around town. This weekend was fun walking much of the length of the National Mall and back in DC. It looked like the cherry trees were going to start blooming soon and I hope to be able to go back and see them!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    That's basically been my goal as well. I did see my friend from the Asia trip last year this past weekend and she said "wow you've lost some weight and look great!". So I weighed myself and indeed I am down 22 pounds from last year. We've made a concerted effort to eat at home more where I can control ingredients and portions.

Although I have no choice but to drive to work the three days that I do, the other days when I have class I do walk quite a bit around town. This weekend was fun walking much of the length of the National Mall and back in DC. It looked like the cherry trees were going to start blooming soon and I hope to be able to go back and see them!
    I lost another dress size within the first few months of giving up my car. I have been "carpooling" to work (ie bumming a ride with a reliable coworker) for a year but when I go to days, I will start bicycling to work. I imagine I will slim down some more. I am beginning to get curious as to what my actual weight is these days. Not enough to spend money on a scale but maybe I should "test" a scale at a store some time soon.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I joined Weight Watchers after the first of the year and I've lost 15lbs and one pant size. I like their new program -- which is more about eating healthy foods than it used to be. There's a lot more focus on nutrition and exercise. I need the weekly meetings and the embarrassment of standing on a scale every week to keep me honest and on-track.

I haven't felt like I'm starving myself and I'm slowly unlearning all the unhealthy habits I've developed. It's been pretty easy so far. I have about 50 more pounds to go, but I've already hit one milestone and another is just a few more pounds away.

My motivation is twofold: 1.I had to go on blood pressure medication a few months ago because it was crazy high and obviously a result of being overweight and 2. swimsuit season at the Village water park. I don't want to embarrass my kids (or myself)!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I hit a total of 13 lbs lost back before Christmas, and it's holding steady. I'm still generally only having a few bites of food at dinner and walking on the treadmill several times a week. Also doing a lot more yard work that usual, partly to have fresh veggies and some pretty flowers, but part of the motivation there is hoping to avoid developing those flappy old-lady skin things on the underside of my upper arms.

Registered
    May 2004
    Just found a site, sunrisesunset.com, which provides ... well, guess what.

With darkness at 7:41 pm tonight, and temps in the 40s, I should be able to get in a 25-mile ride.

Registered
    May 2004
    And I would have, except for stopping to take pictures. (This is a replaced beat-up old trestle, almost complete.)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have lost about 10 pounds so far this year and it seems like I am well on my way to hitting my goal of losing about 20 total for the year.

I have been going to the gym and running regularly for years now but in January I got back on the bicycle as well (sorry Veloise, not a real bike... I sold my Trek last spring thinking I would use the money towards a new one but just never got around to it) with a spinning class three times a week and switched my weight training around a little bit.

But the biggest difference has come from the diet. I haven't cut anything out altogether but just limiting the sugary coffee-based drinks to once a week instead of four or five times, lowering the alcohol intake, and eating more fruits and veggies has really helped out. I also started drinking a whey protein mixture everyday and I think that has helped keep me full longer and I guess the lean protein also helps keep my metabolism up. Lastly, I increased my daily fiber intake and I think that has helped out a lot too!

It's nice to be able to fit into my pants much more comfortably now!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    ...but in January I got back on the bicycle as well (sorry Veloise, not a real bike... ...
    You're fired.

Plateaus make it hard. It's easier when you see that it is actually working. But so frustrating to be doing the same thing that has worked and have the results slow down.

Registered
    May 2004
    ^^ Agreed. I have been hovering around the same scale numbers for several weeks now. It's amazing how a cup of coffee (in or out) or kicking off my house shoes can affect the read-out.

On the other hand, I am exploring nooks and crannies of my closets and finding all kinds of heart-breakingly Diana-like outfits. Last week I tried on a dress that might could possibly work for this Regency Ball (http://www.regencyexhibitionball.blogspot.com) event, except that I couldn't get it fastened. Last night, it zipped** up like it did right after I made it (1994, IIRC).

**The zipper was patented in the early 20th C, so its use is not correct in period attire.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post

With my schedule (night meetings, my daughter) it's hard to get into a gym routine, but I'm trying. I feel so much better when I go, both physically and mentally.
    How often does your ex have your daughter? My ex and I both agree that every-other-weekend isn't enough time for them to really get to know their father... especially since my youngest is just an infant. So, two weeknights a week he has them till 7:00, feeds them supper and all that. At first I was torn about not getting them as often as possible, but those two hours after work fly by, and usually I spend them by going straight to the gym after work on those nights. I know if I go home first, I'm not gonna get back out again. It has worked out really well, and I'm a healthier, less-stressed mom because of it.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    How often does your ex have your daughter? My ex and I both agree that every-other-weekend isn't enough time for them to really get to know their father... especially since my youngest is just an infant. So, two weeknights a week he has them till 7:00, feeds them supper and all that. At first I was torn about not getting them as often as possible, but those two hours after work fly by, and usually I spend them by going straight to the gym after work on those nights.
    We have joint custody, mainly, because I agree wtih you, that he deserves to be in her life as much as possible. And although he was a crappy husband, he is a pretty good dad. I sucked horribly in the beginning, and it still does now to. You kind of get used to it though, sad to say. We rotate based on his work schedule (he's a fulltime prof. firefighter that works a 24 hour shift with a 12 day rotation). So I'll have her 4 nights, he has her 2, I have her 3 nights, he has her 3. And repeat. I tell you, it SUCKS - it's consistent, but yet its not. Hardly ever a full weekend (with or without her). But anyway, we make do, and she has adjusted well.

Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I know if I go home first, I'm not gonna get back out again. It has worked out really well, and I'm a healthier, less-stressed mom because of it.
    That's good that you realize your limits - knowing you won't go back after you've been home (neither will I by the way), is good to recognize, so you can circumvent your own self defeat OK, maybe thats mine, ha! Also, good also for you for filling the time when the girls are at their dads. Keeps you preoccupied but also like you said it helps out so much more in every aspect.

As far as my schedule goes, I live by calendars. I have all my stuff on outlook for work, and then each month I print it out and write my personal stuff on there. Each Thursday or Friday I plan the next week out as far as the gym goes. I put it on my calendar and actually "schedule" it. Depending on night meetings, my daughter, what classes are offered and when, it takes a good amount of time to figure out when/what I'll be doing the next week.

I admit, haven't gone once this week. Work is flipping crazy, been working through my lunches, and at night have had my daughter and cleaning my house, laundry, etc. because I'm having people over Friday and then leaving for Chicago bright and early Saturday. Sometimes life gets in the way, and we all just have to take it in stride.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We had a voluntary health screening here at the office this morning. In 2007 I went and they told me that my blood pressure was too high. At that point it was 146/98, in 2008 it was 144/81 (a slight improvement) and today, it is down to 134/72! So that’s a really good improvement in my book.

Also, over the past two years, my total cholesterol has gone from 174 to 167 to 136! That’s a HUGE improvement. My HDL level (good cholesterol) has also come done a bit over the time period but the ratio of good to bad has improved each time around.

My blood glucose levels have also come down too (from 102 to 97 to 85).

I am much more proud of these numbers than I thought I would be... I only go to the screening because we get a $100 Visa gift card for participating but I am really happy!

I know that over the past few months I have been eating healthier and getting more exercise and I have lost about 10 pounds and my clothes fit better, but having these numbers to back everything up is really nice!

I think I will celebrate tonight by stopping at White Castle for a crave case of sliders and then wash it down with a six-pack of High Life tall boys!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Inactivity during the winter months has not been kind to me. I stepped on the scales this morning for the first time in 2 or 3 months and discovered I've added 10 pounds. I'm up to 180 lbs.

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28