Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Inactivity during the winter months has not been kind to me. I stepped on the scales this morning for the first time in 2 or 3 months and discovered I've added 10 pounds. I'm up to 180 lbs.
    You have winter in Florida? Really?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I ran a Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator on this old body and here was the result:

Although it looks like I'm at the upper range.

Body fat was 13%.

If you dare, here's the link.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    I went to the link.

My body fat was 9.4% (most of which is probably in my head).

Skinny runt here. My boyhood dream of being a Sumo wrestler remains stalled.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Wear's My Shadow?

This Bear is losing weight for the right reasons.....my health sucks, so I needed to make lifestyle changes. In the last few months here is the snapshot.....

November, 2009
    About 263 pounds
    Like Cartman, I am "big-boned"

February 15, 2010
    236 pounds

But......at least one pair of dress pants are still tight! Katie says that I lost the weight in my butt. I now have no butt.

Must work on gut.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I stuck with the weight watchers program and lost 47 pounds since January 09. I've got 25 more pounds to reach my "goal weight", which is the weight I was in college and a size 10. It's nice to see my husband checking out my butt!!

Unfortunately, the impetus for this weight loss -- high blood pressure - hasn't responded much to the weight loss. Clearly not budging, which is disappointing to have to continue the medicine.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I ran a Diet Calculator, Body Fat Calculator on this old body and here was the result:

Although it looks like I'm at the upper range.

Body fat was 13%.

If you dare, here's the link.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    I tried that and clearly that thing is not meant for people with large amounts of muscle mass ( I am a competitive powerlifter). This is what it gave me:

Body Mass Index: 31.2 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.52
    Percent Body Fat: 18.8%
    Lean Body Mass: 171.3 lb

You are overweight by 19.4 kilograms (42.7 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 2231 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1896 calories per day.
    to lose 2.5 pounds per month.
    Your diet should contain at least 107 grams of protein per day.
    My body weight is 211lbs at 5'9 and I can assure you that I am nowhere near 18% BF! More like 11% (and I eat over 3,000 calories per day plus 200g of protein to maintain it at that).
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    2 years ago I started trying to do something about my ever-expanding waistline. I wasn't too bad, but at 200lbs and 6'1" I definitely needed to lose weight. Even the doctor admonished me.

I have a very good diet, though less is certainly better. But for me, the main thing was physical activity. I started running because it was relatively cheap and fit into my schedule which affords me very very little extra time to do anything. In fact, I am going to go running in about 40 minutes here, squeezing it in between work and meeting some friends for dinner.

I started out small - I essentially went around the block - and built from there (and it took a while). For a while I was running 3 miles at a go 4 times a week. Now I am up to 6-7 miles at a go three times a week. I also added biking to that to change things up last summer, but I haven't been back on the bike in almost 2 months because of the season and the shorter days. Hopefully I'll start that up in about another month again. Its kinder on the knees to mix it up.

So, now I'm down to 185 which is right where I should be. I wouldn't mind getting down to 180, but we'll see. I really like food and so I don't relish denying myself too many gastronomical pleasures.

The best part about the exercise is that you can really burn a lot of calories and, within reason, not worry too much about how much you eat. Which is not the same as not worrying about WHAT one eats. Not all calories are created equal. I eat a lot of whole and raw foods, rarely do I have soda and I try to avoid too much sugar, though I do have a sweet tooth, especially for cakey stuff. In general, though, I find being more physically active helps control unhealthy cravings. Not eliminate them, but at least I feel more aware when I am going to far with something (would you like cheesecake with that pie?)

Losing weight can be extremely challenging and my mother struggled with it her entire adult life. Kudos to everyone whose making an effort!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Wait, you weighed 200lbs at 6'1 and your doctor thought you were fat?! That seems about right to me if not a bit on the light side.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Right now, I am 29, 6'2", and weigh about 204 lbs, more on the muscular side. I workout early in the morning before work around 5AM for about 2 to 2 1/2 hours a day, 4x-5x a week (45 minutes weights, 45 minutes abs, 30 minutes cardio, 15 minutes to relax the muscles in the whirlpool). Now that I have more spare time, I can focus more on my regimen to get cut up for the summer. I love to cook but lately I have been doing more healthy choice meals, frozen vegetables, including the steamers bags that I can pop in the microwave. I am actually trying to loose weight, but since muscle weighs more than fat and I can easily add size I don't think that's going to happen easily. My body goes into hibernation mode for a good 2 1/2 -3 months starting in January so I don't see any big changes in weight until early to mid-March. I would ultimately like to go back down to 180-185 lbs when i was in the army earlier last decade.

When its warmer out I also spend a lot of time doing outdoor activites such as golfing, running, swimming, biking, hiking, etc.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Wait, you weighed 200lbs at 6'1 and your doctor thought you were fat?! That seems about right to me if not a bit on the light side.
    Well, I may have been a bit over 200, maybe even close to 210, I don't exactly recall. But, yes, I was deemed "overweight" Not terribly, but in need of a change in behavior for sure. BMI was in the 18 to 20 percent range and, frankly, I was getting pretty soft and pudgy and definitely not happy with my own appearance. With a history of heart disease in the family, that was also cause for concern. I feel great now, though, and I like the way I look. At least as far as the parts I have control over...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Inactivity during the winter months has not been kind to me. I stepped on the scales this morning for the first time in 2 or 3 months and discovered I've added 10 pounds. I'm up to 180 lbs.
    Since this post, I've lost three pounds in the past four days. A function of not eating or eating the right things in moderation.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2003

Chocolate Donuts

A couple more pounds have slid off this 6'-0" frame. When I was younger, my height was just a tad under 6'-2". You know, you really do shrink with age.

OMG.....that means.....oh, never mind.....

Anybody remember the Stephen King (under a pen name) novel called Thinner? I have attached the Wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinner_(novel)

Back on topic.....this morning somebody brought in a big box of donuts, including these giants covered with chocolate icing.

I ignored them......just as I ignored all the Girl Scout Cookies that are available "for sale" just about everywhere.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Quick! Turn Sideways!

Since November of 2009 this Bear has lost just under 35 pounds. I was looking at my arms and legs.....lost lots of weight in those danglies......lost what little excess weight I had in my butt......but still have a gut.

Men - tough to lose a gut.
    Women - tough to lose a butt.

We are so different....too bad we couldn't blend a bit.....you know, bi-weightial.

I want a donut.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I need to start menu planning for the tailgate for the MSU/WI game in a few weeks. My parents and some family will be there (my cousin plays for WI) so it should be a great time! His fraternity will be providing hot dogs and hamburgers, and my bf (and by extension I guess I am as well) is hosting the tailgate so I need some help with the rest of the menu planning.

We'll be out there for quite a while and I'm sure more than a few cocktails will be consumed, so I'm thinking a few substantive sides dishes (think potatoes or pasta, etc.) would be needed. Also a handful of different appetizer type things, and a few
    desserts as well.

We have to be there early and have no access to electrical, so I'm thinking that will make it hard to have anything warm? I don't host a lot (but would like to more) so any ideas for creative, quick, easy, and yummy ideas would be much appreciated Or if you just got nothing, share what do you all make and/or enjoy while tailgating?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I need to start menu planning for the tailgate for the MSU/WI game in a few weeks.
    What are you trying to inflict preliminary guilt by asking for party food recipes on the neverending weight thread?

Some of you may recall I broke both my feet earlier this year and spent most of the summer sitting on my butt. This did no favors for my waist and when the cast came off I was only 2 lbs shy of the big 200. I have since tried my darnedest to pay more attention to what I eat and try to get more exercise in as well. So far I'm 12 lbs down from that lifetime high, but I'm not crowing success just yet because we're approaching the time of year when I usually pack it on.

I don't think I will ever be a 'lifetime exerciser'. No matter what regimen I've tried to follow over the years I've always ended up falling off the wagon.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    What are you trying to inflict preliminary guilt by asking for party food recipes on the neverending weight thread?
    Oopsy! Nope, I apparently was in too big of a hurry and put it here instead of the tailgate thread from last year. Is this something you can move, or can i?!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've lost 5lbs since August and would like to lose about 10lb more (to start) by the end of the year. So, I have challenged myself not to have any sweets or chocolate until January 2, 2013, with exceptions for 10/9, 10/28, 11/22, 12/13, and 12/25. If I do cheat I owe Hubby $20 per incident (incident not item). I'm hoping that the lack of sweets combined with the running/training will help me achieve my goal. We'll see.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My weight has been pretty constant for the past 5 years but the distribution seems to be changing. I'm afraid I'm going to end up like this.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Krusty.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	4986
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I started this year on a weight loss crusade. I dieted from January till March and lost 16 pounds. I quit doing anything because that is what I wanted to lose, and got 12 back by June. Started running again in June and lost the 12 again. I am happy where I am at, but it is a constant battle. I always have this vision of myself when I was running 80 miles a week in college... and yes I am a man.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I started this year on a weight loss crusade. I dieted from January till March and lost 16 pounds. I quit doing anything because that is what I wanted to lose, and got 12 back by June. Started running again in June and lost the 12 again. I am happy where I am at, but it is a constant battle. I always have this vision of myself when I was running 80 miles a week in college... and yes I am a man.
    Kinda in the same boat. I hit my highest weight ever this summer and recently got 'serious' about losing some of it (I have tended to yo yo for years but the overall trend over the past couple decades has unfortunately been upwards). So far, though, I'm down 7 from where I started. Ideally, I'd prefer that number to be around 37, but I'm trying to be realistic about my historical commitment to such endeavors.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I've been doing online Weight Watchers since mid-July. I have lost 25lbs as of last Sunday. Too many more to go but I am working at it little by little. I am on vacation starting tomorrow and will be in the Dominican Republic. My partner's mother will try to stuff me over the next week or so. I hope it won't do major damage.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I've been doing online Weight Watchers since mid-July. I have lost 25lbs as of last Sunday. Too many more to go but I am working at it little by little. I am on vacation starting tomorrow and will be in the Dominican Republic. My partner's mother will try to stuff me over the next week or so. I hope it won't do major damage.
    Wow, great job!!! Have a great vacation and splurge at least a little.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tipped the scale at 179 lbs this morning. I won't stand on them tomorrow. In fact, I'm considering throwing the scales over the back fence after our Thanksgiving meal.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm afraid to step on the scale after 5 days in the mid-west. So far I've eaten fried something at every meal.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm afraid to step on the scale. I can already tell I enjoyed Thanksgiving way too much without the aid a scale.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Let's just all step on the scale together and we won't know who weights what.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 7:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 8:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28