Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Up 6 thanks to thanksgiving. S-I-X. That is horrible. I need to go run.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Up 6 thanks to thanksgiving. S-I-X. That is horrible. I need to go run.
    Were you eating lard??
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    This morning the digital scale reported that I'm at 175.8 lbs.

I have put on 11 pounds since last January and now weigh 155. But back then, I was overcompensating for some other health issues and was going to the gym for two hours a day six days a week. I'd like to get down to 150 in the new year.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Gluten free!

Resurrecting this old thread to see if my discovery might help anyone else.

In the second week of July, our local paper published an article about wheat belly. I investigated, and promptly stopped eating the crust of my pumpkin pie (year 'round). I was already not eating any pasta or bread. Switched from flour tortillas to gluten-free ones.

And in about three months, I've dropped 20 lbs. (This was brought on by having foot surgery last fall, with medical advice to not go work out. I'm not training for a triathlon, but I like to get my heart rate up even while impaired. Between November and March, I gained the same amount due to inactivity.)

Easiest "diet" I've ever been on. Backslid a couple of times (when I have an overnighter, I love stopping by a Panera and getting a veggie souffle for breakfast).

Photo evidence on FB for the real-lifers.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Resurrecting this old thread to see if my discovery might help anyone else.

In the second week of July, our local paper published an article about wheat belly. I investigated, and promptly stopped eating the crust of my pumpkin pie (year 'round). I was already not eating any pasta or bread. Switched from flour tortillas to gluten-free ones.

And in about three months, I've dropped 20 lbs. (This was brought on by having foot surgery last fall, with medical advice to not go work out. I'm not training for a triathlon, but I like to get my heart rate up even while impaired. Between November and March, I gained the same amount due to inactivity.)

Easiest "diet" I've ever been on. Backslid a couple of times (when I have an overnighter, I love stopping by a Panera and getting a veggie souffle for breakfast).

Photo evidence on FB for the real-lifers.
    Congrats on the weight loss, glad it's worked well for you. Have you noticed an improvement of how you have been feeling? I've been meaning to take a look at this as I seem to have a lot of trouble with gluten in general. Plus I eat too many processed foods. I think combination of both leaves me feeling yucky on most days.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Feelings...

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Congrats on the weight loss, glad it's worked well for you. Have you noticed an improvement of how you have been feeling? I've been meaning to take a look at this as I seem to have a lot of trouble with gluten in general. Plus I eat too many processed foods. I think combination of both leaves me feeling yucky on most days.
    Not much processed food in my regular diet. I go through a Meijer deli chicken and one of his pumpkin pies every week, and the reast is seeds and berries, protein powder mixed with coffee, Balance bars, fruit. It's not like I had to stop eating Kraft macaroni & cheese or hotdogs. Interestingly, I've found suitable menu items at every restaurant, even if it's a big salad.

The biggest change has been one of euphoria, since the scale has been showing a lower number several times a week *** and I'm a smaller range on my clothing. The best part has been comments from friends (didja see the pic I posted on Halloween??).

I did experience side effects when I had some flour-based foods. That wasn't fun.

***Weight is a snapshot, and a little thing like a leg cast or a couple extra glasses of water can appear as a change.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Not much processed food in my regular diet. I go through a Meijer deli chicken and one of his pumpkin pies every week, and the reast is seeds and berries, protein powder mixed with coffee, Balance bars, fruit. It's not like I had to stop eating Kraft macaroni & cheese or hotdogs. Interestingly, I've found suitable menu items at every restaurant, even if it's a big salad.

The biggest change has been one of euphoria, since the scale has been showing a lower number several times a week *** and I'm a smaller range on my clothing. The best part has been comments from friends (didja see the pic I posted on Halloween??).

I did experience side effects when I had some flour-based foods. That wasn't fun.

***Weight is a snapshot, and a little thing like a leg cast or a couple extra glasses of water can appear as a change.
    I have a 9 and a 12 year old in my house, so I do eat my share of Kraft dinners I didn't see the picture, but I will check it out. Great job on the downward trend, that is awesome!

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28