Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Spatial_Monkey
    ....And I try not to date dogs either, but sometimes you just can't tell at 3AM
    Good call. (BTW, sorry I brought up the topic of hotornot.)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well... my nickname still isn't ironic; though is on the road to become so.
    Let's see, I'm 1.8 m tall (I think thats around 5'11'-6') and I weight 58 kg... (128 lbs) So I'm still slim... I should weight around 65 kg (132 lbs) for my height.
    I'm guessing though genetics (it's happened like this in my family all along) that I won't become overweight until I'm around my 30's.... so 10 years to go...until I'm fat and bald like every elder in my family...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Damn you all!

Because of this thread and overhearing my neices (the precious little angels they are) call their daddy and uncle Tranplanner "fat" I have today joined the gym here at work.

I'll keep you posted on the progress...I'm sure you're all just so interested.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    And I try not to date dogs either, but sometimes you just can't tell at 3AM
    Off-topic:
    When Playas tell me how beautiful I am, I have a not-nice habit of saying things like "I am a toothless, gray-haired old hag" or "When was the last time you saw an ophthalmologist? You obviously need new glasses" or "Gawd, what kind of dogs have you been dating??" Then I get incensed replies like "I don't date dogs" (which is where my joke comes from). I find all of that funny -- the whole "looks" thing. Puh-lease. Men who like women of my "type" think I am really hot. Men who don't think I am a dog. So?? The whole idea is kind of silly. "Beauty" is partly illusion and partly 'in the eye of the beholder'. (Additionally, does it not occur to these morons that they are not the only one to have noticed?? Like I have never heard this line before in my entire life??)

Also, I find that men with more experience tend to compare me to other women they have actually known and loved and find me lovely. Men with little experience seem to compare me to the images found in magazines (whether Playboy or Cosmo, they are all equally unrealistic) and find me lacking in some way. The more men I talk to, the more appealing the old geezers sound to me, and never mind the gray hair, balding head, wrinkles, etc. So I guess I do plan on dating "dogs" afterall.

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Off-topic:
    Also, I find that men with more experience tend to compare me to other women they have actually known and loved and find me lovely
    Hmm. Agreed. While still a young schmuck, as I get older, I think my intelligence level is slowly creeping up on what constitutes someone of potential interest. There may yet be hope!

And good on you, Tranplanner, for joining a gym. Don't get stuck in the weight room, and take it slow! Make sure you do fun things that you can enjoy, and join some classes if they offer them! Pilates is fun, as is a good spinning (group cycle) class. I'd be happy to offer other suggestions.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Hmm. Agreed. While still a young schmuck, as I get older, I think my intelligence level is slowly creeping up on what constitutes someone of potential interest. There may yet be hope!
    I was careful to say "more experienced" rather than just "older" because it isn't simply a matter or age...nor of "numbers" when it comes to "how many lovers?" etc. Because I got married at age 19, in some ways I am "inexperienced". If you want to talk sheer numbers of sex partners, there are plenty of people in their twenties with more "experience" than I have. But it isn't even as simple as that. Without getting into a really Not Work Safe set of ponderings, I think the best explanation is summed up by a quote that I had in my e-mail signature block for nearly a year:

"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." -- Aldous Huxley

And I have not been able to figure out where exactly to fit this in, but did want to say that Downtown is still strikingly beautiful, post-baby or not. You know, when the picture of me in the pink sweater was taken, I felt like a fat cow because my "standard" for what I thought I was supposed to look like were the pictures of me at age 17. I think young women stress too much about the whole thing (perhaps because they hang out with young men, who compare them to photos in magazines). Looking back on my youth, I wish I had enjoyed my "looks" more back then instead of being so insecure. I enjoy my body more now than I ever have but it does take a little more effort to look devastatingly beautiful -- a string bikini and a big smile just aren't sufficient adornment anymore. lol.
    So, to Downtown and all the other lovely ladies: Revel in it while you got it.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Opening An Old Thread

Here's the over-weight Bear, once again opening up an old thread. Doesn't he have a life?

Ahhh, me pretty.....better to open an old rather than start a new.....

Here's an update on how the weight has flucuated all during the bone marrow stem cell process:

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Katie was trying to "fatten me up" prior to the bone marrow transplant. She was concerned about things she saw and heard from BMSCT patients who lost a lot of weight during the process.

When I entered the hospital in early January I was just over 260 pounds.....much too high for me in normal conditions. About midway through the process the combination of high dose chemotherapy, lousy hospital food, no desire to eat, and the actual transplant itself brought me weight down to the mid-240's.

In the two-and-a-half months since I have been back I gained most of that "lost" weight back. Probably due to the no-activity lifestyle that was dominant in the first couple months.

As my energy level is getting stronger my activity is increasing and my weight is starting to come down. That's a good thing.

In my future is bike riding, walking, eventually jogging, and basketball. Most of these things are qued-up for a somewhat distant future, though, because it takes TIME to recover from a process that kills all your bone marrow.

Katie and I just finished a conversation about walking. It starts this week, in the evenings. If you cruise through Swanton, OH and see a large guy with a bald head (it's the chemo, dang it!) walking with a woman young enough to be his daughter and a rather-large Golden Retriever named Monica.....beep your horn.

If we get an early enough start we will walk at the beautiful Oak Openings Park.

Bear Not At Blimpee's
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    As my energy level is getting stronger my activity is increasing and my weight is starting to come down. That's a good thing.
    Congrats!

I don't think my weight has come down at all (what with muscle weighing more than fat), but my dress-size has.

MZ, enjoying success with her world famous "Get out of bed more often" fitness program.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I had a goal to lose 25 pounds before memorial day weekend (officially known as bikini season) and I was on a great track to success until 2 weeks agon when my shoulder started hurting...but starting back oin the right track tommorrow...finally got the ok from my doc to hit the gym again...now I only have about 5 weeks, doubt I'll hit my goal of 25 but even 15 would be fine...I don't think weight is really all that important, for me it is more about being healthy and feeling good...for me sitting around eating for the past two weekshas made me feel pretty gross...a few days at the gym adn I will be feeling great again.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    The director of the library and I have a diet support/bet deal going on, which starts tomorrow. I have the specifics on a piece of paper in my office, so I can't give you specifics. The point is that I see her enough that the peer pressure factor will make it easier. I personally don't feel like I need to diet, but I am interested in how my body will react to this regimen.

OH yeah, since this starts tomorrow I will have to gorge myself this evening. The nacho cheese doritoes are about gone -- then I will have 3 ice cream sandwiches and a big plate of pasta.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    While my real fear appears to be groundless (diabetes-for now) I am still too plump and have high cholesterol. So, I need to cut back quite a bit.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Commuting to work by bicycle the past couple weeks helped me immensely. I had lost about 5 pounds which is good b/c I actually GAINED weight since I last posted in this thread.
    Well, last Thursday, my commuting got shot to hell, as I actually WORE down a couple gear teeth which in turn made my chain skip on my bike. The guy at the bike show said $50 for a much needed tune up, and at least $50 dollars to fix the chain rings. Maybe I should trade it in for a road bike, but I just cannot spend immense amounts of money right now...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was once a lean 'n mean fighting Marine and weighed in around 168 lbs. (6' tall) of solid muscle. Since then, I have gained maybe only 15 lbs. but things have, um, redistributed a little since getting out.
    To be honest, I really don't worry about it much and my weight seems to fluctuate +/- 10 lbs depending on the amount of stress/mental state I'm under a given month.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I try to not rely on the scale... although I'm really not "fat", a little chunky perhaps, I weigh more than many men I know. I'm just solid, I guess. Who cares. As long as you like the way you look...

I'd like to lose some of the flab, though. And I'm working on it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm 6'3" and currently weigh in at 225 lbs. Not overweight, but not in the kind of shape I would like to be in. I'm not concerned about my weight, just concerned about firmness. My goal is to get back down below 8% body fat like I was the summer after high school and maybe see the return of a solid, flat stomach. Gotta look my best for the honeymoon, ya know!

At one point in high school I was 6'3" and 180 lbs. My metabolism was sky high due to my heavy involvement in physical activity.

Here's me in the engagement pic with the future Mrs. Yep, I have excellent taste! I'm about 225 lbs in this pic.

Here's me this past Christmas. This is also a good example of why I rarely wear sweaters since they usually make me look bigger. I had about 10 additional pounds on me at this time compared to the engagement pic. Probably had something to do with the number of those things in my hand that I had been drinking over the months previous. Margaritas have calories in them, go figure... I'm also blessed with a face that turns various shades of red depending on the amount of tequila in my system , as demostrated below.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003

Beep Beep Beep

Beep beep beep.....here's the latest update from Radio Free Bear.....

Walking a lot now. Working much longer hours, so the sedentary lifestyle has moved away (except for this here Cyburbia addiction). Three (3) weeks ago this Bear returned to the diet plan combo that helped me a few years ago, before the bone marrow transplant:

Combination of Jared's "Subway Sandwich" plan, salads, and counting points (as in Weight Watchers). We have a WW book so I count the points, daily. I indicate my eats and my points on an Exel spreadsheet. I limit my points to a daily average, as calculated weekly, of 32 points. (I have actually averaged 29.4 points per/day, so I am doing better than I planned.)

Has it worked?

Yup! Lost fifteen (15) pounds already. Most of that was in the first week and a half. Now I am losing about two (2) pounds per/week.

The nice thing about counting points.....I can take it easy during the week. allowing some "fudge" room for the real treat: Beer!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    BUN, great job with WW! I never would have thought about the excel spreadsheet for keeping track of the points. I have been going to my WW classes but have not been tracking my points for the passed couple of weeks. I think it is working in my favor though. Except those darn Publix cupcakes keeping calling my name. Plus, I have been teaching water aerobics so that helps. Great job again BUN!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    That's so cool, Bear.

My new apartment is on the second floor. We had a choice between this one and one on the first floor in the same apartment and I was inclined to take the first floor apartment because of my health problems. My oldest son, who has the same genetic disorder I have and a better sense of smell, pronounced it "NASTY!!" and insisted on this one. Moving to a second floor apartment made me feel like I had A Life again, lol. And it was very tiring at first but isn't so bad anymore. (But most of the slimming down is because this place is not so toxic like the other one. Uh, no, you don't want the gory details. )

MZ, with her own built-in stairstepper, , congratulating Bear on also Getting A Life.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Congrats to everyone who has shed some pounds!

I am 5'10" and typically wear a size 10 (sometimes a 12 in the winter). I have never been overweight, but certainly never been underweight. I love to eat! I love to exercise too, but I am sooooo lazy.

I gained the "Newlywed Nine" after my wedding last summer. Sprained my ankle and tore a muscle in my leg since then, so the winter weight I typically shed in the spring is still hanging around, (especially on my bootie and upper thighs). I am going on vacation in 7 days too. Is it possible to lose 10 pounds in 7 days without starving? Did I mention that I love to eat?
    urbanchik

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm down to only getting 28 points a day. Lately that has been tough to do. With working out every morning, I get very hungry later in the day. I'm not going to worry about it too much until return from vacation.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had a major sugar hankering yesterday and the fact our secretaries set out candy all the time didn't help. Niether did the 4 Rolling Rocks I drank last night.
    A more disciplined Z Man brought a light yoghurt, Salad and an apple to snack on today as well as his workout gear. Time to rock out to some Rush and hit the ellipical!

On another note, I was conversing with my mother over the phone last night and she had read a study in the Denver Post about how using a teaspoon of cinnamon a day help control insulin levels and thus helps folks lose weight. Also, results were seen quickly, in about a month. Scientists conducting the study were so baffled by the results they had to try it again and again thinking it was a fluke.
    I may try this cinnamon obsession and see how it goes.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've never had a problem with weight. 1.5 years ago I was at 190-193 lbs. Now I'm down to 165-170. I'm 6'0". It wasn't a goal to loose weight (stress related), but I can't believe how much I lost.

I think that modifications in my diet (unintentional) like salads (oil based dressing), small portions, plus walking and taking 4 flights of stairs at work helped out considerably along with the stress.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2003

Weight Update For Jax

In another thread, Jaxpra was asking for some hints on losing a few pounds. There is some info in this thread, submitted by this Bear and some others.

Update on this Bear: Still doing the combination Weight-Watchers, Jared Subway Sandwich Thingy, with a daily spreadsheet to actually count what I eat. My weight loss in the last two (2) weeks was nill.....eating a lot of soft stuff that is high in points, as my mouth heals from all the teeth-pulling. Getting better and will get back to the plan.

BTW.....this Bear has dropped neatly thrity (30) pounds.

Gotta go, I'm hungry.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    So, for me it is a year later, still weighing in teh low 170's high 160's. At 6'3 some people are saying I am a bit too thin, but I feel pretty good on teh bike and generally. The heat, stress, generally being in a poor mood, and being broke is good for the weight loss/avoidance. Not having an appetite has done wonders to my waist line.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm 6'1" and about 170 pounds. I got up near 190 not too long ago and then decided to start cutting back. If I don't eat lunch I'm starving by the end of the day but tend to lose weight fairly quickly. I'm back to eating lunch every other day or so and haven't seemed to have gained or lost any weight in about a month.

Of course I'm pretty active but it seems to me that the key to controlling your weight is controlling what you put into your body. If you want to lose weight, eat less, and avoid empty calories like the plague. I quit drinking soda in high school but I still notice weight gain whenever I drink beer more than "rarely." Even if I have a few every weekend, I'll start gaining weight. Losing weight sucks because then you also lose muscle mass, unless you have the stamina to work out while you're hungry. I can bike but I've never gotten into upper body stuff. I wish I'd follow my weight more closely so I wouldn't go through cycles of slowly gaining weight until my pants get tight and then fasting it away with all the associated problems, but I'm not that organized.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28