Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbia Weightfest Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Today's weigh in saw some significant stats. I've now lost 10% of my overall bodyweight or 25% of the total I want to lose. But that 10% is significant. If I was in Weight Watchers I'd get a keychain or something.

Good job Zman on the exercise and results!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Please reference Girl Scott Cookies Thread. Ack!
    _____

Actually, not doing too bad. Gained a few pounds back when I stopped counting the points. Awaiting the approach of spring weather so we can resume the long walks. Gotta get in shape for basketball. After two (2) years of waiting because of bone marrow transplant and chemo, going to get back on court. Yes!

(I need a Thin Mint.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i started the South Beach Diet today. i actually made it 24 hours without any carbs or sugar. that alone is celebration worthy considering i am a total carb junkie. i figure i'll take it one day at a time. 13 more days isn't that long.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i started the South Beach Diet today. i actually made it 24 hours without any carbs or sugar. that alone is celebration worthy considering i am a total carb junkie. i figure i'll take it one day at a time. 13 more days isn't that long.
    I was a complete carb junkie before starting South Beach. I've been on it for almost 3 weeks and though it was hard the first week, it gets better. I had to eat pizza at a quarterly meeting and I thought I was so close to falling asleep for the rest of the afternoon. I like the diet and have realized that there are more foods out there than just pasta and bread. Don't worry, you'll be great!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    I was a complete carb junkie before starting South Beach. I've been on it for almost 3 weeks and though it was hard the first week, it gets better. I had to eat pizza at a quarterly meeting and I thought I was so close to falling asleep for the rest of the afternoon. I like the diet and have realized that there are more foods out there than just pasta and bread. Don't worry, you'll be great!
    thanks for the pep talk. it is nice to know that other carb junkies have survived the first week of the SBD. i keep telling myself, "it is only two weeks. two weeks isn't that long." i think part of the difficulty for me is i'm very lazy when it comes to cooking. i have a very small kitchen and a lot of my kitchen utensils and dishes are still packed up. so cooking isn't necessarily a fun thing.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It has been almost 2 years sionce I lost the 40 lbs, and they are generally staying off.

I am the walk 2-3 times a week, including one 2-3 hour walk excercise plan. My eating habits have not changed too much. AI have changed from wheat pastas to rice pastas (gluten free for better digestibility and motility) and try to eat more fruit. The coke consumption has leveled or slightly increased. I now try to drink herbal tea to help with my non sugar/non cafeine liquid intake.

I have pretty much stabilized at 170lbs. Odd thing is that clothes are not fitting, as the location and type of weight is changeing from good muscle weight to "bad" fat weight. A friend said I look like a Biafran, no arms or legs but a pot belly.

Hopefully this summer is cooler and I can get my core strength and aerobic fitness back.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    thanks for the pep talk. it is nice to know that other carb junkies have survived the first week of the SBD. i keep telling myself, "it is only two weeks. two weeks isn't that long." i think part of the difficulty for me is i'm very lazy when it comes to cooking. i have a very small kitchen and a lot of my kitchen utensils and dishes are still packed up. so cooking isn't necessarily a fun thing.
    I also hate cooking... but I just make lots more of everything now and eat leftovers for lunch for a few days. I get lots of ideas from another forum I am now very active with in the evenings: forum.lowcarber.org. A great bunch of people and LOTS of support. I've learned more from people there than I have reading any of the books. After the first week, it gets a lot easier. Just be careful when starting to add your carbs back in... take it very slow or you may get frustrated!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I decided this weekend to stop the "no carb" diet. I am working out so much that I think a low calorie diet is going to work out just fine for me and imagine I lose more weight, more quickly. Going to stay right at 1200 a day and see how it goes...if I don't feel good or am "starving" I may go back to Atkins but if I don't have to eat another friggin hamburger again in my lifetime I may just be alright!!!!
    Yesterday I pigged out on carrots, cottage cheese, cereal, yogurt...things I haven't been able to eat in 2 months...I have an apple and orange today!! Its so nice to be able to eat fruit again...now when I cheat on my diet I just work out harder, before if I cheated I had blown things for about 48 hours!! So trying something new out...I lost 21 pounds in 2 months...I am going to see if I take off the same amount in the next 2 months...I think I can live with this diet much easier in the long run....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I decided this weekend to stop the "no carb" diet. I am working out so much that I think a low calorie diet is going to work out just fine for me and imagine I lose more weight, more quickly. Going to stay right at 1200 a day and see how it goes...if I don't feel good or am "starving" I may go back to Atkins but if I don't have to eat another friggin hamburger again in my lifetime I may just be alright!!!!...
    If it doesn't work out... think about switching to South Beach. It's more balanced, where you can eat fruits and whole grains after inductions.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    If it doesn't work out... think about switching to South Beach. It's more balanced, where you can eat fruits and whole grains after inductions.
    I think thats exactly what I am going to do...Atkins was killing me...I mean I felt better physically but I couldn't take the food anymore. I am giving this a week (becasue I have been dropping 2-4 pounds a week), if I don't see the same results on a reduced calorie I am definately trying South Beach. You keep me posted on you though!! I am still here cheerin you on!!!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I also hate cooking... but I just make lots more of everything now and eat leftovers for lunch for a few days. I get lots of ideas from another forum I am now very active with in the evenings: forum.lowcarber.org. A great bunch of people and LOTS of support. I've learned more from people there than I have reading any of the books. After the first week, it gets a lot easier. Just be careful when starting to add your carbs back in... take it very slow or you may get frustrated!
    thanks for the forum link. yesterday around mid-day was kinda difficult for me. but then i did some searches on the internet and came up with some recipes that sounded good. i actually made some "protein packed mini-cheesecakes" last night. delish!! oh! and i found where it said you are allowed to have 2TBS natural peanut butter as your nut allotment for the day. wooo hoooo!! natural peanut butter was a staple in my pre-SBD diet and i was getting sad about not being able to have it.

sometimes i get into trouble by waiting too long to eat. then i get over-hungry, cranky, and lack the motivation to make anything to eat. i think i need to be more stringent at making sure i eat something when i first start getting hungry.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    sometimes i get into trouble by waiting too long to eat. then i get over-hungry, cranky, and lack the motivation to make anything to eat. i think i need to be more stringent at making sure i eat something when i first start getting hungry.
    Yeah, you need to make sure you eat all your snacks. Quite difficult until you get used to it... but an ounce of prention...

I just keep mozza sticks and v8 in the fridge to have as a just in case so I don't have to make something.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    are mood swings a common result of the South Beach Diet? also, when am i supposed to notice that i have a ton more energy? because lately i've been dragging.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    are mood swings a common result of the South Beach Diet? also, when am i supposed to notice that i have a ton more energy? because lately i've been dragging.
    I only had that dragging feeling the first time I did SB 2 years ago, and that only lasted a couple days 'til I adjusted to not having any bread. Have you been eating tomatoes, green peppers, etc to get some carbs? I find if I eat at least one medium tomato a day, it really helps with the energy level.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    tomatoes? ick! i've never been a tomato fan unless in the form of ketchup or red sauce. i have been eating red peppers almost daily. i never read the SBD books but i gather from your post that you're supposed to have a few carbs each day?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    tomatoes? ick! i've never been a tomato fan unless in the form of ketchup or red sauce. i have been eating red peppers almost daily. i never read the SBD books but i gather from your post that you're supposed to have a few carbs each day?
    Whoaaaaaaa! Read the book! You won't be successful on the diet if you don't. And things make so much sense after you read the book. You are supposed to have quite a few carbs everyday. You should be having veggies with every meal and for snacks, there are carbs in your milk products, etc. No wonder you are dragging... and not to mention you are heading toward some major digestion problems if you aren't eating any veggies.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Whoaaaaaaa! Read the book! You won't be successful on the diet if you don't. And things make so much sense after you read the book. You are supposed to have quite a few carbs everyday. You should be having veggies with every meal and for snacks, there are carbs in your milk products, etc. No wonder you are dragging... and not to mention you are heading toward some major digestion problems if you aren't eating any veggies.
    i've been eating veggies at lunch and dinner, just not tomatoes. bleck. i do find it difficult to have veggies for breakfast. in my head i have a difficult time waking up to the thought of eating a celery stick or whatever.

i'm cheap and don't want to buy the book. so i've done all my SBD research online.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Spring is coming. It is high time people saw less of me

We bought a treadmill the other day and it is day two of me doing my imitation of a hamster in a hamster wheel.

My impetus for doing so is: 1) to look and feel better, and 2) I got a May 10 float permit for the Smith River and my wetsuit (which I might need) is pretty snug. So I can either risk hypothermia or drop 10-15 pounds.

Dieting is not my long suit. My goal is to do at least 45 minutes a day of exercise, cut out empty calories (which is the primary source of my problem) and eat more salads and vegies.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    We bought a treadmill the other day and it is day two of me doing my imitation of a hamster in a hamster wheel.

My impetus for doing so is: 1) to look and feel better, and 2) I got a May 10 float permit for the Smith River and my wetsuit (which I might need) is pretty snug. So I can either risk hypothermia or drop 10-15 pounds.

Dieting is not my long suit. My goal is to do at least 45 minutes a day of exercise, cut out empty calories (which is the primary source of my problem) and eat more salads and vegies.

Floating the smith! That'll be great!

I floated last year the first week of june. May 10 is going to be COLD... better fit into that wetsuit!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    So I can either risk hypothermia or drop 10-15 pounds.

If you want to avoid hypothermia, you could alternatively increase the empty calories....who needs wetsuits anyways
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i've been eating veggies at lunch and dinner, just not tomatoes. bleck. i do find it difficult to have veggies for breakfast. in my head i have a difficult time waking up to the thought of eating a celery stick or whatever.

i'm cheap and don't want to buy the book. so i've done all my SBD research online.
    I got mine from the library at first, then I saw it on sale and got it somewhere else. I bet half.com lists them for cheap too.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I got mine from the library at first, then I saw it on sale and got it somewhere else. I bet half.com lists them for cheap too.
    good point. thanks! i guess part of me just wanted to get started sooner rather than later. i'm not that much overweight and in pretty decent shape under a layer of chub, but last week some girl called me fat so that got me upset enough to want to do something rather quickly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    good point. thanks! i guess part of me just wanted to get started sooner rather than later. i'm not that much overweight and in pretty decent shape under a layer of chub, but last week some girl called me fat so that got me upset enough to want to do something rather quickly.
    Yeah, I understand the need to start right away. Once I get a bug up my bum to do something, I have to start right away too. But I still recommend you read the book, because it really helps. Especially once you get toward your target weight and you start eating more grains, etc. You need to know how to make the right choices to keep losing, and the book spells it all out really well. Plus, I found some of the stories in there motivating.

I lost another 3 lbs. this past week. So that's over 30 total now since the beginning of January. Woot!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Yeah, I understand the need to start right away. Once I get a bug up my bum to do something, I have to start right away too. But I still recommend you read the book, because it really helps. Especially once you get toward your target weight and you start eating more grains, etc. You need to know how to make the right choices to keep losing, and the book spells it all out really well. Plus, I found some of the stories in there motivating.

I lost another 3 lbs. this past week. So that's over 30 total now since the beginning of January. Woot!
    What is your workout if you don't mind me asking?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Feb. 16-- 240 lbs.
    Feb. 25-- 238 lbs.
    Mar. 2 -- 236 lbs.
    Mar. 11 -- 233 lbs.
    Mar. 18 -- 232 lbs. (sick for part of week)

I found an old excel file I did after lunchtime workouts when I first began my job here. I was riding the stationary bike and weighed in at 225 lbs. (Still overweight). I used this as telling myself that I can get down to that weight and lose more still.

Just thought I would check in and chart my progress.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 8:10 PM
  2. Cyburbia Angels (Motorcycle Thread)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 17 Aug 2009, 9:16 PM
  3. 2008 Cyburbia Awards Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club