Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Asking for help at work

Registered
    Sep 2001

Asking for help at work

It is not very often that I can't figure out what to do about an application or a request for comments, but every once in awhile it happens. So the natural thing to do is to ask your superior for guidance or a suggested course of action. Right?

What do you do when you ask your superior and they are of no help? i.e. They say "that is for you to figure out". If I could have figured it out I would not be asking you now would I?

Get me out of here please.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Hopefully, the supervisor was having a bad day. Otherwise, get out as soon as you can. As a supervisor, I want to review such things, and staff asking questions is much better than making mistakes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Hopefully, the supervisor was having a bad day. Otherwise, get out as soon as you can. As a supervisor, I want to review such things, and staff asking questions is much better than making mistakes.

What he said! If you have made an effort to figure it out on your own without success, and the supervisor is not willing to help, there is a serious problem.

The least that they could do is give you direction as to how to research the question in other ways that you may not know of.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    It is not very often that I can't figure out what to do about an application or a request for comments, but every once in awhile it happens. So the natural thing to do is to ask your superior for guidance or a suggested course of action. Right?

What do you do when you ask your superior and they are of no help? i.e. They say "that is for you to figure out". If I could have figured it out I would not be asking you now would I?

As a supervisor that is what we are here for. Your work is a reflection of the office. If you make a mistake, the office makes a mistake. Ultimately the manager's neck is on the line. In all honesty the manager should be reviewing most of what goes out to ensure that it is quality work.
    Planning is much like acting, as my old theater professor used to say, "If you sin, sin boldly, only you know if you are ad libbing." I follow this adage almost daily.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would not expect a supervisor to know everything, but at some point, s/he will need to make a decision. Any product coming from the department is going to reflect on the supervisor. If the answer is wrong or the decision is not politically popular, what is s/he going to do, point fingers and say "It was him!"? Supervisors need to support their employees, even if it is simply to say that they do not know, and that they will review your conclusions with you. On technical issues, they would hopefully point you to a resource or loosen up some training dollars.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    This is not a one time occurence, it has happened a half dozen times.

I am looking as hard as I can on the budget that I have (ie no Boston jobs this time) to get out of here.

As for the questions, they are highly technical and legal based on decisions that others have made in the past.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I would recommend you document your request(s) for assistance, then go ahead and make the decisions yourself (if you are able). Then if it comes back to bite you on the bum you can say that the authority was delegated to you by your superior...

Can you try referring your request even higher up the chain? Like CC in your superior's superior to an email? You can try making suggestions on how to handle the problem, like maybe needing to contract externally for some advice that is outside your experience. Even if they laugh at such a suggestion, it should bring to their attention your need for assistance.

Hope things improve soon

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Only have had one supervisor like this...I avoided her like the plague until I found a new job...but in the meantime, I would go to others with q's. Are there others, peers or such that could help?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Donk, I was waiting for you to pass by on the way to GB

I'm at a place now, where I could ask for help, but they won't. Love every second of it until the zombies come

Roll with the punches, and keep your head up until your out of there. Good luck
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

BANNED
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk

HAHA, we both have idiot supervisors, hopefully you have good coworkers you can bounce ideas off of.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 8:26 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Apr 2004, 4:40 PM
  3. This is why I do not work in FL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 05 Apr 2004, 10:31 AM