Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Our office is sick

Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Our office is sick

Have you ever noticed that if one person gets sick in the office, everyone gets sick. Well there is a nasty head cold that is going around causing people to get nauseous, stuffy, and just feeling miserable. It is hitting me hard today, but it hit the GIS tech harder, so he went home and I am here.

What tricks, tips, and cures do you have for bad head colds?

Oct 2000
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Ew... don't the people in your office wash their hands? Maister? (kidding!)

I was out the last half of the week with the head cold where there was so much sinus pressure, I was sending speculative glances towards my husband's workshop with thoughts of drilling holes in my head to drain the goo.

so - my number one tip is to hydrate hydrate hydrate. keeps the mucous thin and hydration always helps with the headache.

feel better.

Exercise and burn the little buggers out

When I get a slight tingling sign of an oncoming cold, I immediately charge off to the gym, jump on the treadmill and get the heart rate up to a nice sustainable cardio level. I run longer and slower than I normally would, just hard enough to keep my heart rate at around 140-150 bpm. Then, I have a bowl of hot tomato soup and load it up with pepper, to get a massive zinc dosage. Works like a charm.

That doesn't work with the flu though. My general strategy for the flu is to lie shivering in bed with blankets piled high, whimpering for sympathy like a small, forlorn puppy.

Aug 2001
    Western Pennsylvania
    Rest, and hot and sour soup. Anything with pepper. I was suffering once on a Friday during Lent, and ate potato wedges with hot sauce.

Feb 2004
    on my 15 minute break
    I'm glad you took this thread where you did and not elsewhere. The title had me wondering.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Oct 2002
    Under the Table
    Blog entries
    Purel everytime I come back to my desk....lots of vitamins....fluids... and wiping down my cube surfaces with lysol antibacterial wipes. I am surrounded by people with colds..
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf

maudit anglais
    May 1997
    Picked up a head cold from Mrs. Tranplanner on the weekend. Usually I see them coming and do the workout/vitamin C preventative thing but this time it caught me totally by surprise - I was feeling fine one minute, not so much the next. Took a day off, rested up and now I'm feeling much better. Rest is the best cure IMHO.

Jul 2002
    In the bike lane
    Our office goes through the same thing every year. I think the ventilation system in this place sucks. They really don't remove the stale air, just circulate it from one person to the other.

{Knocking on wood} Our office has not gotten sick yet {Knocking on wood} but I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

I do many of the same things mentioned above, clean the desk, phone, drink lots of water and beer.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 16 Aug 2011, 9:54 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 10 Feb 2007, 11:34 PM
  3. Sick time in San Francisco
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Feb 2007, 3:20 PM