Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Seasonal activities; AIB Hurray Fall is really here

Registered
    Feb 2004

Seasonal activities; AIB Hurray Fall is really here

Everyone has their favorite seasonal acitivities. Some, such as skiing/snowboarding, necessarily require the season's weather (e.g. need snow to ski), others because certain institutions conduct activities only during certain seasons (e.g. the State DNR only issues hunting licenses for a specific time or college football is only played in the fall), and yet others take place during certain seasons more or less out of tradition and not because they couldn't occur at other times (e.g. going to cider mills and doing the cider/donuts/hayrides thang). Lastly, there are certain seasonal activities associated with holidays and events tied to the calendar (e.g. cutting down the Christmas tree or getting trashed at Mardi Gras)

What are your favorite seasonal activities?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Fall

It used to be the drive into the mountains for the fall colors. Now its the drive into the everglades when the mosquitos are limited and the weather is perfect (February). Beach activity is much more fun in the Fall to Winter weather down here....(minimal humidity and heat)
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Driving, and hiking in the Shawnee (Southern Illinois) and Hoosier (Southern IN) National Forests.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Driving, and hiking in the Shawnee (Southern Illinois) and Hoosier (Southern IN) National Forests.
    But in which season? Fall, I'm guessing because of the leaves?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If we have a winter as mild as last year's (I think we only had two or three freezes), then I may be buying a new wetsuit to do a little winter waterskiing!

Our high yesterday was 86 with heat index of 94 due to humidity. Last I checked, weren't we headed into late October?!?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I haven't really found an outdoor activity since I moved here to do in the Winter. I'm not much into downhill skiing anymore (too expensive), but I was thinking of trying cross-country. I've done that a few times (a long time ago) and I remember how nice it was to be able to ski through pristine, snowy woods when the rest of the world was jam-packed on the ski hill. I've also considered buying some second-hand ice skates since there are two outdoor rinks about three blocks from my house.

Mostly, I love the summer. Hiking and long walks along the river are my favourite. I used to love to go to the Oregon Coast during the winter storms, the ocean is amazing during that time. I also used to love looking for Japanese glass floats on the Long Beach Peninsula (Washington State) after a big storm. I can't wait to move back to the ocean someday!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I did a couple of hikes recently through Rocky Mountain National Park, and I must say that fall is nice. It was a little crowded last Sunday but if you go deeper on the trail, there are fewer people. The fall also means that there are a LOT fewer tourists, weather is cool, and the foliage is beautiful, even after the "aspen viewing season" I think this may be a new tradition.

I also tend to walk more in the winter. In college I would walk to class more when the weather was cold and snowy rather than hot and sunny. Just a personal preference for me I guess. Psuedo tradition.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I love fall. Apple picking. Cider. Pumpkin Carving. Leaf Peeping. sigh.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I love fall. Apple picking. Cider. Pumpkin Carving. Leaf Peeping. sigh.
    Fall is hands down my favorite time of year. Downtown's post reminded me of growing up in South Carolina when my family would head up the mountain to pick apples and buy cider at a couple of the many orchards there. I'm not sure if it really was that much fun, but it's a great fuzzy memory.

Western Pennsylvania has a great fall season that is perfect for weekend drives in the mountains, exploring small towns off the beaten path and day hikes through the woods. What was especially nice was last year when me and the wife took a tour of Fallingwater when all of the foliage was at it's peak.

Unfortunately the wife’s new job has her working most weekends so our leaving town activities have pretty much been put on hold this year.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My favorite season in general is winter (it gets pretty old by February) but here's my perfect seasonal activity scenario. The day is December 26 and you're in the middle of having several days off. It snowed about 3 inches on Christmas day, on top of the nice foot deep base already present. It's about 24 degrees outside with no perceptible wind and it is light overcast and the family spends two hours in the afternoon on an exhilirating cross country ski trek through the nearby woods. The sun is setting around 5:30 when you come home you warm your feet in front of the fire and sit in your recliner peacefully sipping hot spiced cider or mead. Ahhhhh!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    For some unknown reason, it just seems like spring is the best time to pick strawberries and fall is the time to pick apples. German beer tastes best in winter. People-watching is best in summer when the women are wearing skimpier clothing.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My favourite season is hockey season, and it runs from September to May. Next year it will hopefully run all year if I join a summer league.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Arizona (desert) seasons are subtle, so you don't notice the change much outside the temperature. Winter (haha) here is beautiful but I don't have any special activities. I do enjoy the pool all summer long, but we don't heat ours in the winter.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Fall is a great time to do yard work because it's too darn hot in the summer. Trim the hedges, put in new plants, etc. We also get the bikes out and do a lot more riding this time of year.

Fall/Winter Setting in a stand with no cell phone, really don't care if anything moves or not. Just enjoy the quiet and peace of the outdoors. Of course since my house is in the middle of a 75 acre plus farm yet stil inside the city limits, I have the best of all worlds. Just can't convince any ladies of this though.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Hmmm, let's see... I don't know what seasonal activities I like.

Skiing, Snowboarding, Snow shoeing, Ice Fishing for winter!
    (It is really hard to ice fish in the summer)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I'll second that! South-central and southern Indiana are gorgeous in the fall. My husband and I drove down to French Lick (small resort town with two National Landmark hotels, named after the salt springs and discoverers of the area) last weekend, and the trees were perfect, about at peak color. Fall is perfect camping weather because it's still warm during the day, but the bugs are pretty much gone and so are the crowds.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    From my fair city's newspaper:

FIRE TOWERS
    Yes, there are still fire towers you can climb for that high-up glimpse of changing color. Lincoln State Park east of Gentryville, Ind., has a fire tower, and so does Ferdinand State Forest in Ferdinand, Ind. In Southern Illinois, try the water tower at Giant City State Park outside Carbondale, then dine at the lodge.

Or go the most popular picture postcard in Southern Illinois come autumn: the giant rock formations at Garden of the Gods (south of Harrisburg) that watch over the Shawnee National Forest.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Winter: Skiing
    Spring: skiing
    Summer: skiing, if you know where to go
    Fall: If it is like this year (6 feet of snow has fallen this week at Alta, UT, they already have a 40 inch base), skiing.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When we carve pumpkins, I like to bake the seeds and have a supply of fresh, homemade snacks for the next few weeks (no one else in the family eats them, so they last a while). I really cannot think of anything else yet. I am the most pathetically boring person on the planet, lol.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fall activities 2013
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Sep 2013, 12:37 PM
  2. Camping Activities
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 15 Jun 2012, 11:57 AM
  3. Hurray! Fall is really here now!
    Friday Afternoon Club