Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Bourne Ultimatum

Saw the Bourne Ultimatum this past weekend.

First movie was good, second movie was better, last movie was phenomenal. Hands down the best movie and I hope that there will be a 4 and 5.

The nice thing is some of the questions were answered but it left enough loose ends to put in another installment.

Word of warning… Watch the first too movies or read the first two books before seeing this film. The fiancé enjoyed the movie, but was lost in much of the plot line because she did not know what happened in the earlier movies.

Best movie of the summer!

I give 4.75 coffee cups out of 5. Could of used a few more hot women... that would have made it a 5.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    I saw The Transformers after work on Friday. I give it a B-. This move made me realize that if Hollywood brings back something from the 80s, they're not making it for 30-year-old kids, they are making the movie to introduce the concept to 10-year old kids of today.
    I also saw " The Transformers" this weekend. It reminded me too much of "Independence Day." However, the action/transforming scenes were enough to keep it out of being a complete snore-fest.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I saw the Bourne Ultimatum too, in a brand-new theater with an incredible sound system. It was definitely a good action flic! It's amazing how many stunt performers were listed in the credits at the end.

I really like Julia Stiles and David Straithairn (how the heck do you pronounce his name??).

Registered
    Aug 2005
    As did I - solid flick.

First movie was good, second movie was better, last movie was phenomenal. Hands down the best movie and I hope that there will be a 4 and 5.
    Don't hold your breath - I think it's played out.

Word of warning… Watch the first too movies or read the first two books before seeing this film. The fiancé enjoyed the movie, but was lost in much of the plot line because she did not know what happened in the earlier movies.
    I agree - folks really should see the first two movies (if they haven't) before watcing Ultimatum - this is not a stand-alone flick. Reading the books would not help at all - instead of being "based on a Robert Ludlum novel", the first two movies really are more along the lines of "title, one character's name, and a few basic plot points borrowed from a Robert Ludlum novel".
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I'm going to try and sneak away this weekend to see it. I really like Supremacy more than Identity. On a different note, Chris Rock's "I Think I Love My Wife" comes out on DVD tomorrow. Did some say anything about Kerry Washington....?
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2005
    rented Munich last night. i thought it was very interesting and depressing.

i felt for the athletes who got caught up in the political actions.

i'd give it a solid 1 1/2 thumbs.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Saw Knocked Up this weekend. Everyone said it was good, and it was.

Also saw Bourne Ultimatum, it was pretty good, but the Julia Stiles character got old in the last movie. The Bourne movies are a solid series, I enjoy them a lot.

I need to start seeing movies in the theater instead of being the last one to be in on the fun!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I saw "Eastern Promises" the other night. It was great! Vigo Mortensen gives a great performance (not to mention a naked knife fight). If you're interested in the Russian mob, human trafficking, or seeing Vigo naked, this is the movie for you
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    I saw "Eastern Promises" the other night. It was great! Vigo Mortensen gives a great performance (not to mention a naked knife fight). If you're interested in the Russian mob, human trafficking, or seeing Vigo naked, this is the movie for you
    I saw it as well. I'll agree with everything except seeing Vigo naked. It gives you a glimpse into a world that exists, but you rarely see or hear anything about. It would be interesting to get one of the UK planners take on it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I viewed The Lives of Others this weekend on DVD. It's the German movie that won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language film this past winter. It's about the East German internal security police spying on artists, writers and actors during the 1980s. It was good and not a type of movie we see much any more since the wall came down. A bit like Orwell's 1984. Americans might be able to relate the huge security apparatus that East Germans created for the "protection" of their county.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We rented Knocked Up and Blades of Glory this weekend. Knocked Up was great, very funny and crude, but also heartwarming. Blades of Glory was just plain stupid, with a few laugh out loud moments. I'm getting tired of Will Farrell, though.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I usually love Jenna Fisher, but I thought she was kind of miscast in Blades.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    So the Kingdom this pass weekend with mrs CPSU. Interesting, a lot of action. The opening sequence was cool which gave a "history" of the kingdom, and the ending downright made you think, "boy we are really in a mess aren't we." I was listening to NPR's all things considered yesterday and the director was on and talked about the original ending that was in the script, and I was glad they didn't go with that. The movie was allright (glad we paid matinée), but i like the whole style that Peter Berg has with the handheld camera and movement ala Friday Night Lights (he directed that too, and is the developer in the series).
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Saw 3:10 to Yuma with my dad this past weekend. Interesting movie, though the ending caught me by surprise. Russell Crow flat out acted Chistian Bale and drew you into his character. Bale's New England accent wasn't very good and would slip into a southern accent. I sorta-kinda liked it, but not sure I would see it again.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We took my little girl to see Bee Movie this weekend. It was great. It was only the second movie we've taken her to, and she sat still, very interested in the whole thing. The husband and I got a kick out of it too. I definitely recommend it... great family pic.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    American Gangster is one great movie. I was on the edge of my seat for over 2 hours. Denzel did his thing again. Some of Russell Crowe's scenes could have been deleted though. They had nothing to do with the story line. The ending is a little strange to me though.

I rented Sicko over the weekend. Another eye opener for me from Mr. Moore. I could've had done without some of the senationalism though. If you've seen it, you know the parts. I did take away a kernel of thought from the movie, but I need it to develop more, before I can speak on it.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2006
    We rented Sicko this weekend, and Surfs Up which really wasn't very good.

Anyway, I think Sicko and the idea of socialized health care could deserve it's own thread. The movie really left me feeling like the whole "Proud to be an American" speal, that the U.S. is the best is really propaganda that has been spoonfed to us since childhood. There are so many other nations that have their act together, so much better. I could go on and on.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My daughter gave me Ratatoullie for my birthday (we then watched it four night in a row). Good flick from the Pixar group.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not!

Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    We took my little girl to see Bee Movie this weekend. It was great. It was only the second movie we've taken her to, and she sat still, very interested in the whole thing. The husband and I got a kick out of it too. I definitely recommend it... great family pic.
    And for your YIN....I'll give you my YANG I didn't like it.....I'm not Jewish, but even I didn't appreciate the stupid lawsuit plot and stereotyping in this movie I heard it took them five years to develop and make this movie! Amazing waste of time if you ask me.
    As I walked away, I couldn't help but think of....then describe to my wife.....the numerous better plots for a bee movie.....numerous.....

Just so you all know, I'm the guy that likes darn near every movie he see's......not this time.

And that voice.......SEINFELD's had his 15 minutes.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I went and saw No Country for Old Men on Friday evening. If you are a fan of the Coen Brothers' movies (and especially Fargo), this one is for you. Tommy Lee Jones was great as usual but I think the Woody Harrelson really stole the show with his small role.

I will admit however that I was a bit let down by the ending... not because it was lame or anything like that, but because it wasn't what I wanted to happen. Of course, I can make movies exactly to my liking if and when I ever make a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Anyone seen Into the Wild yet?

The guy in the story is actually my friend's uncle and I recall my friend talking about this story after Krakauer's book came out in 1996. A couple months ago, he and I were talking about the upcoming movie and he and his family got a private screening of it before it hit the theaters.

I am currently (after waiting for a long waiting list at the library) reading the book. Beginning yesterday, I am about halfway through it. I have not seen the movie yet because I must fulfill my own ideal of reading the book first, but I am curious to hear what others think before I go (probably this weekend at the cinema cafe).

I also noticed that Eddie Veddar did the soundtrack, is it any good?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post

I watched Roeper's review of this movie, and according to him the soundtrack makes the movie. Can't remember if he gave the movie thumbs up or not, but he loved the music.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Anyone seen Into the Wild yet?

The guy in the story is actually my friend's uncle and I recall my friend talking about this story after Krakauer's book came out in 1996. A couple months ago, he and I were talking about the upcoming movie and he and his family got a private screening of it before it hit the theaters.

I am currently (after waiting for a long waiting list at the library) reading the book. Beginning yesterday, I am about halfway through it. I have not seen the movie yet because I must fulfill my own ideal of reading the book first, but I am curious to hear what others think before I go (probably this weekend at the cinema cafe).

Well I thought the book was very good, and I just read a review of the movie on slate.com. They analyzed the differences between the book, another essay and the movie. Zman, with your friend being related, you might get even more from the article.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Well I thought the book was very good, and I just read a review of the movie on slate.com. They analyzed the differences between the book, another essay and the movie. Zman, with your friend being related, you might get even more from the article.
    I'll check it out. I just got to a part in the book that mentions my friend's folks and I intend to call him tonight (or visit him in Denver this week) and see what he can tell me and his thoughts as it has been about 10 years since he told me the story from his family's perspective.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I saw Into the Wild a few weeks ago. I read the book, when it first came out, in a day and a half; I couldn't put it down. And I read it again after seeing the movie.

My husband and I both thought that Sean Penn (and the cast) did a tremendous job with the movie. But don't go expecting a movie of the book. The movie is about Chris McCandless; it's his story, or at least what is known or speculated about it. If you've read the book, you know that it says just as much about the writer and his experience. I don't mean that in a negative sense... it is what it is. (Articulate, I know. )

Eddie Vedder's music was really good. It definitely complemented the movie. I'll probably purchase the soundtrack at some point.

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2