Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Watched Murder in the First about Alcatraz and a guy destroyed by the inhumane treatment by the warden...........excellent film........watch it if you can

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahhh.....

Can someone tell me what's compelling about a suicide? I think I'll skip (Into the Wild) thank you very much. Spin Spin Spin = Money Money Money

I've been BURNED BEFORE! and I MEAN BURNED! Did anyone see this piece of CRAP:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427312/
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Saw a movie for the first in ages.

Last Saturday, I watched "Crash". Interesting how the story unfolded.

I think the last bunch of movies that I saw was last late winter. It was like I had a craving of some kind. I saw these movies: "Who killed the Electric Car?", "Flicka", "Little Miss Sunshine", "Dreamgirls", and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Beast & War

Watched my recently-purchased copy of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. One of my favorite flicks. Yes, filled with the usual plot lines.....monster (in this case, a dinosaur) released mistakenly by mankind, scientist type tries to convince authorities of the legitimacy of the monster, another well-versed professor has a beautiful assistant, etc.

But.....the dialogue is relatively intelligent, the travels of the monster (following the Atlantic current flow) is quite reasonable, the special effects (for the time period) were good.

Check out the cop who gets eaten. This could be where 7-11 picked-up the idea for "big gulp".

A good movie.
    _____

I am about to purchase the 1970s TV series called The World At War. This is an excellent film that chronicles the events of World War II.

Good old Amazon.....makes these types of things easy to find.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Rented a couple of movies to keep us occupied this snowy weekend:

The Flying Scotsman combines 2 of my husband's favorites: Scotland and cycling. The movie is based on the true story of Graeme Obree, a racing cyclist who broke some world records in the 1990s. Very well-done. (Veloise, you might enjoy this one.)

The drama/thriller Heaven was apparently released in 2002, but I'd never heard of it. It stars Cate Blanchet and Giovanni Ribisi, and was directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Perfume). He is one of the most original filmmakers out there. After watching the movie, I decided to watch a few scenes with the director's commentary on, and it was so interesting, I ended up watching the whole thing again! Definitely recommended for those who enjoy independent film.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we watched Superbad on saturday. ehn. i don't see what all the hype was about. it had it's funny moments but the Seth character highly irritated me.

we also watched Stranger Than Fiction. i thought that was a pretty good movie. it isn't anything ground-breaking but does make you think a bit. and it isn't your typical Will Farrell movie.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I saw I Am Legend last night.

It was good, but weird. I thought there was a lot of plot holes and perhaps may develop a conspiracy theory that they are svaing the real, full length feature for the DVD.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I saw I Am Legend last night.

It was good, but weird. I thought there was a lot of plot holes and perhaps may develop a conspiracy theory that they are svaing the real, full length feature for the DVD.
    I saw it last night as well. I almost cried when Will Smith begged the mannequin to talk to him. I thought the lonliness and emptiness of his life was a lot more interesting than the infected. How come the virus made them able to roar?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Haven't seen I Am Legend yet (waiting for crowds to die down) (LOL), but it's one of my favorite books, so I'm expecting to be disappointed. I know it's a different setting but oh well. Interesting thought experiment anyways to be alone in a big city.

I saw No Country For Old Men, if you like the Coen brothers you'll likely like it, if not, beware... I thought it was interesting, my wife as well although she was grossed out at times and annoyed at the open ending. Love the West Texas scenery, fantastic visuals.

Bear: You could combine Beast from 20,000 Leagues and World at War into one spectacular movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_of_War

The World at War is superior to anything else produced on the European Theater of WWII, IMO.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Just watched Harry Potter V ( my daughter is really into the series) and while not a fan of the fantasy genre I found it quite good. Of course it helps that we just got a blue ray DVR and a 42" flatscreen plasma TV mounted in the Master Bedroom.........OMG!!!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Just watched the Inside Man on HBO. It was one of the best films I seen as of late. I don't remember it even being in theaters.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Just watched The Next Voice You Hear. This movie was made about 1950. Storyline.....

Exactly at 8:30 PM EST, and all across the world in the other respective time zones, regular radio programming is covered over by "the voice of God". This voice speaks for a few minutes at that same time for six days, generally telling all citizens (in all languages) to be peaceful, understanding, love your neighbor, etc.

It had been years since my last viewing. A so-so flick.

Interesting, though.....the movie viewer never hears the actual "voice of God". The screenplay is written so the voice is missed each of the six days.

After watching that, I viewed that great Humphrey Bogart film, Dark Passage. Bogey escapes from prison and works, with Lauren Bacall, to clear his name for a murder he did not commit.

Interesting, again.....the first thirty minutes or so of the film is seen from Bogie's perspective. You never see his face, until after he has surgery to change his features (since he is "on the lam").

A very good movie.....and fans of San Francisco will love this flick.....great mid-century locations that highlight the city.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    On my first day of holiday, I decided to treat myself with watching a movie. I watched "Family Stone", which was a movie that I've wanted to see since 2005 when a friend told me that there is a deaf character in it. I enjoyed it and it's helping me to get into the Christmas mood.

I may put on Home Alone for my next movie sometimes during my holiday. It'll be my first time watching with closed captioning as I saw it without closed-captioning when I was in elementary school and didn't follow too much of the dialogue. So looking forward to it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sweet!

Yet another aliens movie comes out in two days I hope there's more than one predator to deal with them this time I love these movies for some strange reason....even when poorly made???
    I'm loving that scene with the alien in the playground and just outside the kids bedroom window.....oh yeah.....I'm ready to be scared out of my MIND

So I'll be off to AVP-R on Tuesday....can't think of a better holiday movie
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Saw the National Treasure II : Book of Secrets.....so may holes in the plot line you could drive a truck through, lots of improbable stuff.....lots of action. I recommend waiting for the DVD.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Saw I Am Legend, with my low expectations (see above) I was pleasantly surprised.
    Pros: Loved the survivalist aspects, good story of going slightly nuts after a loss and paying for the break from routine. Wasn't as preachy as I had heard. Used the best kind of child actors (silent ones). Showed the bad guys learning but not as personal as the book.
    Cons: Story changed to a happy ending and the "I Am Legend" name completely changed around. Passable CGI for the bad guys, very bad for the deer. Gun errors.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Finally watched Night at the Museum. light and fun.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    watched Pan's Labyrinth last night. very good though rather gruesome at points. two non-severed-thumbs up!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I saw Sweeney Todd Saturday with my fiancée. If you like Tim Burton movies, this converted Stephen Sondheim musical should suit your fancy. Dark, macabre, and sometimes just plain gruesome, this storyline and subject matter should not have garnered as many laughs as the future missus and I had, but it did.

NOT for the kiddies.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I took Wee P and her best friend to see Alvin and the Chipmunks yesterday. Let's just say I won't be buying it...UGH!

One of the coolest thing in the movie was the cottage Dave lived in. Way cool for old house with character and architecture lovers
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Went to see the new movie Juno on Saturday. Roger Ebert has named it his top film of the year. The audience was an odd mix of teenage girls (the movie is about a 16-year old who finds herself pregnant) and middle-aged adults. I thought the movie was terrific. I can't believe this was the screenwriter's first effort, as it is wonderfully written... there are some great lines.

We followed the matinee by a visit to our favorite local Irish pub. Fish 'n' chips and pints of Guinness. MMM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Random Traffic Guy View post
    Saw I Am Legend, with my low expectations (see above) I was pleasantly surprised.
    Pros: Loved the survivalist aspects, good story of going slightly nuts after a loss and paying for the break from routine. Wasn't as preachy as I had heard. Used the best kind of child actors (silent ones). Showed the bad guys learning but not as personal as the book.
    Cons: Story changed to a happy ending and the "I Am Legend" name completely changed around. Passable CGI for the bad guys, very bad for the deer. Gun errors.
    From a planner's perspective, there were some fundamental holes in the story.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    From a planner's perspective, there were some fundamental holes in the story.
    Like if they blew up all the bridges, tunnels to NYC how were Anna and Ethan able to drive there?

We saw I Am Legend yesterday. I thought it was pretty good for what it was. Will Smith did a decent job, I thought he would've bothered me more.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw The Golden Compass this weekend. I'm declaring this film a victim of what I willl term the "Dune Effect". Frank Herbert's 'Dune' series has become a classic in the sci-fi genre. There's been considerable difficulty, though, in coming up with a screenplay that does it any sort of justice. The trouble is that the story is an enormously complex tapestry. Herbert did nothing short of creating a new universe with the series. Writers are consequently left with the unenviable task of either dumbing it down (aaaaah!), abbreviating the narrative such that it essentially alters the work unrecognizable to Herbert's original, or force the producers to go through the necessary back story and exposition to make a series of epic length A-films (like Jackson did with Lord of the Rings).

Similarly, Compass is a complex tale - and I'm afraid the truncated version will neither placate Phil Pullman purists (who've already read the books) nor provide sufficient exposition to really convey much of the story's nuances for the general public.

I give it a B-
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2