Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Rented and watched, "Into the Wild" last night. Overall it was a good movie, I enjoyed it. This is the movie based on a true story about the young man going off to live off of nature in the Alaskan Wilderness for a time.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    Rented and watched, "Into the Wild" last night. Overall it was a good movie, I enjoyed it. This is the movie based on a true story about the young man going off to live off of nature in the Alaskan Wilderness for a time.
    I got it finally on NetFlix a couple days ago. I will have to watch it tomorrow night.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kind of a contrast to the 'Alone in the Wilderness' we sometimes see on PBS. Dick Proenneke, lived off the land by himself in Alaska for about 30 years - and lived.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Rewatched The Simpson's Movie last night (I got it for my birthday).

As good as it was in the theater last August.

Actually, better than many of the episodes for the last 6-7 years.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Yes it was a oversight not listing clockwork orange as Mr. Kubrick was the man in my book. Dr. StrangeLove, 2001, Clockwork, Full Metal,....
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Saw Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street over the weekend. I give it a fair rating. Can't imagine it as a Broadway musical, mainly due to all the blood

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Juno

This Bear watched Juno this past weekend. A nice movie, not at all what I expected. The title character, Juno, is superb. Her attitude is marvelous. The music fits very well. Good flick.

Spoiler comment follows.....

I was impressed with the way that in the early stages you dislike the Jennifer Garner character and you like the dude who portrays her hubbie. But at the end, you are on her side and dislike the (selfish and self-centered) dude.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshal" over the weekend, odd and funny movie but it was a bit disruptive when after the lead guy is shown nude full frontal a couple of times several women in head coverings left the movie and one other couple.

I'm assuming it was for the obvious reasons but I would have thought they did their homework before coming to the movie but I guess not. Hard lesson at 10 bucks a head
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Saw Ironman this weekend. We loved it. The special effects were great, the acting was good (loved the chemistry between Pepper and Tony) and I must say, Robert Downey Jr. has never looked hotter.

Registered
    May 2003
    Last Sunday, enjoying a quiet afternoon watching old movies, working on my fake city (De Noc), and listening to the cold rain hit the awnings, I viewed the classic film GIANT. I have (retain) mixed feelings about this flick.

For star power, it was loaded with 1950s favorites, including Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, and James Dean (in his final role). Viewers also get snippets of quite young stars Rod Taylor, Dennis Hopper, and Carroll Baker. The story is as BIG as the setting, west Texas. The movie does a great job of giving you a feel for the vastness of Texas and the mood/feel/pride that Texans celebrate.

The storyline included discrimination against Mexicans and how time (and circumstances) can change even the shoddiest viewpoints. The movie contains subtle hints at what is in store for the characters, as it meanders from the 1930s into the 1950s. The script includes all of those things that The Lonestar State holds dear.....cattle, oil, wealth, land, and bragging.

There is a classic scene near the end of the movie. Rock Hudson, with racist tendencies at the beginning of the flick, defends a Mexican family in a small-town diner. During the fight the tune "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" is playing. The scene and the music works well.

But other parts of the movie seem stilted. James Dean is super when he is the lonesome neighbor to Hudson's family, working hard and pawning everything to try and bring in an oil well. When fortune hits (and the producing wells start to line-up) the Dean character is, in my opinion, overplayed.

All in all, a fun movie to watch.....and a BIG movie to watch.

Bear

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Ya'll should check this out when and if it comes to your town: http://www.gasholemovie.com I watched it Monday night at a special screening where you could question its makers afterwards. Yes, remotely intellectual things go on all the time in Vegas! Anyway, its a documentary, mainly about the story of the 100 mpg carburetor and why efficient vehicles just haven't caught on here amid the meddling of the oil companies. As a documentary, its rather formulaic, with the clips from old movies and promotional films portraying what is now to be seen as the cute naivete of the postwar era contrasted with today's reality. They try to go for the Michael Moore-style "gotcha" sequences, but don't pull it off as hilariously. They end on a positive note, portraying biofuels and alternative energies and engine types as something that will save us, complete with triumphant music as the evil oil companies go the way of the dinosaur. Someone asked what they now thought of biofuels in light of how they have spiked food prices, but they we're just kind of like "yeah, that wasn't really a problem when we made it." And what is it with the rabid Ron Paul supporters? This guy in my row accusingly and angrily tells them that if they are not supporting Ron Paul for president, then they are part of the problem. Um yeah, OK, and you have a question? I wanted to ask the filmmakers if they had seen "The End of Suburbia" and what they thought of it, but they had to cut the Q&A session short due to the theater closing. Still, I'd recommend it to anyone who has more than a passing interest in why it costs so much to fill up your car.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Saw the latest Narnia movie last night and it was fun, very Middle Earth in its feel but still enjoyable enough. But here is the butt warning, its a long one and you will find yourself wondering if your backside will still hurt the next day.

I liked the first Narnia movie better but this was fun enough

But then again we are counting the days till WALL*E comes out
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Saw the latest Narnia movie last night and it was fun, very Middle Earth in its feel but still enjoyable enough. But here is the butt warning, its a long one and you will find yourself wondering if your backside will still hurt the next day.

I liked the first Narnia movie better but this was fun enough

But then again we are counting the days till WALL*E comes out
    I saw it as well. It was filmed in New Zealand and Poland/Slovenia, and you can tell which part is which, because of the different types of trees. And the NZ parts did seem a bit Middle Earth-ish, but that may just be from previous exposure.

I enjoyed the movie overall. Parts were weird - like the Susan-Caspian thing - but overall a solid movie. And that Ben Barnes is a hottie! I will definately see Dawn Treader when it comes out!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last Monday.

It was pretty decent for an action movie, but had some clunkiness and exposition problems. Not sure how well it would holdup on repeat viewings.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull last Monday.

It was pretty decent for an action movie, but had some clunkiness and exposition problems. Not sure how well it would holdup on repeat viewings.
    My sweetie, a big IJ fan, persuaded me to go. An-ti-ci-pa-tionnnnn...and at the conclusion he turned to me and proclaimed, "that s*cked."

Special effects were pretty far-fetched, and the suspension of disbelief...why, it's almost like the old Batman TV show where the Dynamic Duo are chained up, and the villian happens to leave for fifteen minutes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Saw Ironman this weekend. We loved it. The special effects were great, the acting was good (loved the chemistry between Pepper and Tony) and I must say, Robert Downey Jr. has never looked hotter.
    I agree... but switch Downey with Gwyneth Paltrow
    You get what you give.

Registered
    May 2003

James Dean

Last Sunday I watched a couple James Dean flicks. Both were quite good.....

EAST OF EDEN
    John Steinbeck's story gets the James Dean treatment. This was the first time I watched this flick from beginning to end.....good stuff. Typical Steinbeck locale, typical Steinbeck story (love, hate, women, men). Dean's performance is strong, expect for as few scenes where he seems to be acting a "little too hard".

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE
    My favorite James Dean movie. I never tire of watching this story. James Dean and Natalie Wood make a great couple.....you can see it coming right from the beginning. Sal Mineo, as the even-more-misunderstood friend of Dean, is superb.

Yes, it is a bit preachy. The movie is filled with the "reasons" that these kids are rebelious. But still fun to watch.

Classic scene: James Dean challenged to play "chicken", by Natalie Wood's hood boyfriend. The cars (stolen for the game) are lined-up a distance away from a huge cliff at the edge of the ocean. The "chicken" is whoever bails out of the car first, before it sails off the cliff. The hood in the other car never jumps.....his sleeve gets caught on the window crank.....and he plummets to his explosive death on the rocks below.
    _____

Was it The Doobie Brothers who did the song, "James Dean"?

Good flicks.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    It was the most "powerful" movie I have seen in years. Five stars.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Saw Son of Rambow last weekend. Verry good movie. You knew/know those kids. Heck, maybe you were one or the other yourself.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Was it The Doobie Brothers who did the song, "James Dean"?
    Eagles, 1974, On The Border
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Guess what movie I saw with my wife Friday night?

Just like the TV show, some funny moments, definitely a chick-flick. Obviously I wasn't the target demographic, but I enjoyed its cute and fluffy predictable plot.

Bizarre audience moment: When Carrie opened the doors to her new closet, releasing the white hot glamour of a massive lighted walk-in closet, the whole theater gasped. I kid you not! Wow, can you believe that?!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My sweetie, a big IJ fan, persuaded me to go. An-ti-ci-pa-tionnnnn...and at the conclusion he turned to me and proclaimed, "that s*cked."

Special effects were pretty far-fetched, and the suspension of disbelief...why, it's almost like the old Batman TV show where the Dynamic Duo are chained up, and the villian happens to leave for fifteen minutes.

Yep, big letdown. If it was just a random action movie, I would shrug and regret the $20. With anticipation of IJ franchise added to the mix, it may be in my worst 10 movies I've paid to watch list.

Watching Talvisota now, it's a Finnish movie about the Winter War with USSR. Good but slow.

My wife got interested in the Firefly series and Serenity by some message board friends, and raced through my DVDs in a few days. See honey, I do watch some good stuff.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I saw Lars and the other girl which is i guess a bit of an arthouse film on Friday. It was the best film i have seen all year, funny, great acting, fantastic story line.

I wont spoil it too much but its about a guy who becomes delusional and believes his 'doll' (i.e. real life size sex doll) he bought off the net, is a real person. The town he lives in goes along with him and also pretends she is real too!

I have to say Ryan Gosling is a hottie!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Saw the latest IJ movie last night, it was fun enough if you go in knowing its not very good. The story was cute in its own way, the references to other movies were nice but the special effects sucked, very poorly done for the most part.

Predictable but fun for a lazy Sunday night date

Registered
    May 2003

On The Beach / The Bucket List

Had a chance to see a couple movies that I will comment on.....

ON THE BEACH
    Very good movie with a bummer for an ending.....the end of the human race.

Gregory Peck is the captain of an American nuclear submarine that sails into Melbourne, Australia, after a horrible nuclear war and the subsequent heavy fallout has killed all of the earth's population except the people of Australia. Ava Gardner does a splendid job of portraying an alcoholic woman who latches onto Peck, not wanting to die alone when the spreading fallout finally reaches Australia.

Some interesting scenes that make the viewer wonder how they would handle their impending doom. Moral questioning abounds, such as, does the Australian navy man give two death pills to his wife, so when he is at sea she can kill her baby before she kills herself?

And the classic scene.....a morse code message, not making any logical sense, is being received from the area near San Diego. The submarine sails north and when arriving at San Diego, a sailor in a special protective suit, is given 30 minutes to see if he can find out why there is a "tap-tap-tap" message. He does find the reason for the message.....a window shade cord has blown around a telegraph key and the wind is causing the sound.

So much for the human race.

THE BUCKET LIST
    Tough to judge this recent movie. I certainly identified with the guys going through chemo and all that stuff, but my story ended good and their story does not. The movie is somewhat predictable.....I found myself guessing the outcome of a scene or what the next scene would be.....and I was usually on target.

The flick was manipulative, but I rather liked getting pulled-in. The movie presented its' case very well.....make a "bucket list" well before death starts to knock on your door.

Good movie.
    _____

Dot-dot-dash-dash-dash-dot-dot-dash.

Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 3:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1