Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ON THE BEACH- Very good movie
    The book is very good too; by Nevil Shute.
    It was published in 1957. excellent year if you ask me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Took the kids to see WALL E yesterday. Many reviewers have said the film drops off a bit in the final third and I'd tend to agree but it's on par with the best from pixar. Planners will get a chuckle from the villainous Buy N Large a not-so-subtle dig at wally world.

Hopefully, their aunt will take them to see Beverly Hills Chihauhas. That one just looks vapid to my eyes...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I too took the kid (the older one) to see WALL-E this weekend. It was pretty good- fun for planners. The early part was great for older people, but a little scary for the 5 year old set. The later parts were fun for kids but didn't hold together plot-wise. Really more a set of action scenes stitched together.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Watched Untraceable on DVD over the weekend. Diane Lane and Billy Burke both did well, and I was pleasantly surprised by Colin Hanks. Yes, he's Tom's son, but I didn't see any blatent tie-ins on advertising (part of the extras) and his interview/commentary showed promise. The killer was good, but I was disappointed that he didn't have an interview/commentary section.

Hubby also rented Hostel II, but I passed on it. He claimed it was a love story
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Watched This is Spinal Tap, 1984, Rob Reiner, on the tube'o'vision this weekend. IMHO, still the best mockumentory/rockumentory ever.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2005
    In the last three weeks I have seen:

Sex and the City
    Indiana Jones
    Prince Caspian

Prince Caspian was OK (I preferred the 1st movie and this movie did not do the CS Lewis book justice IMHO)

Indiana Jones (OK, useless brainless fun and I was entertained)

Sex and the City (excellent adaptation of a TV show into a movie. There were some plot inconsistencies that did not make sense, but I laughed hard and had a good time.)
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I saw Lars and the other girl which is i guess a bit of an arthouse film on Friday. It was the best film i have seen all year, funny, great acting, fantastic story line.

I wont spoil it too much but its about a guy who becomes delusional and believes his 'doll' (i.e. real life size sex doll) he bought off the net, is a real person. The town he lives in goes along with him and also pretends she is real too!

I have to say Ryan Gosling is a hottie!
    I liked this movie too. Gosling had the right tone throughout the movie - quirky but decent. It was great how the whole family helped him and treated the doll like a real person.

Emily Mortimer was great as Lars' sister-in-law. She did not have a glamorous role - spending much of the movie pregnant and plain-jane, but I found her character very appealing and even sexy.

Lars' brother grew emotionally through the movie. His reactions seemed very genuine - embarassment, denial, guilt, and acceptance.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I watched Mr and Mrs Smith tonite for the first time; and it was really disturbing. Scenes where Angelina punches Brad, he kicks her multiple times. After they've shot up their whole house trying to kill each other. Then they get all hot and bothered and have sex. It got good reviews and was listed as a comedy, but I thought it was sick.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I saw the latest Batman movie last night...

Without ruining it for everyone, as a kinda not interested generally in Batman movies person, i really really really enjoyed the movie.

Top acting, not only from a brilliant Heath Ledger (ok he had the best role out of everyone) but all the cast were fantastic!

Would watch again for sure.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I also went to see Batman last night and thought that it easily the best action movie I have seen in a long time.

And I agree, Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker. I didn't think it was possible, but he blew Jack Nicholson's Joker out of the water. Posthumous Oscar award?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I saw the latest Batman movie last night...

Without ruining it for everyone, as a kinda not interested generally in Batman movies person, i really really really enjoyed the movie.

Top acting, not only from a brilliant Heath Ledger (ok he had the best role out of everyone) but all the cast were fantastic!

Would watch again for sure.
    And ALL of its locations scenes are pure Chicago. I have not yet seen this one, but from what I have heard from those whom have, they did very few digital modifications to the city shots. The filming was a big thing there last year.

Wanna see....
    Wanna see....
    Wanna see....

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    And ALL of its locations scenes are pure Chicago. I have not yet seen this one, but from what I have heard from those whom have, they did very few digital modifications to the city shots. The filming was a big thing there last year.
    You are correct about that. It was so easy to pick things out as being Chicago... especially the streets themselves.

It seems as if the filmmakers are doing this more often (not hiding where a film was shot), especially with big budget action movies. The same thing happened when Transformers was shot in Detroit a while back... it was very easy to pick out things that were obviously Detroit and not L.A. It's almost as if the directors are highlighting the location.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post

Mike
    I thought it was Chicago! Well im am defo travelling there- such and awesome looking city!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

I thought it was Chicago! Well im am defo travelling there- such and awesome looking city!
    The downtown at night is fantasic <sigh>.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I watched a really good foreign film on DVD last night: Goodbye, Lenin!. It takes place in East Germany in 1990... I don't want to give anything else away. Highly recommended!

Saw Batman-excellent movie!. Warning-Not a family friendly movie. A very deep movie that ask a lot of moral questions and doesn't give you easy answers. Ledger loses himself into the Joker, a truly fightening character. Maybe not Oscar worthy-but very memorable. Christian Bale makes a better Bruce Wayne than he does a Batman. The voice gets real grating after a while. For us public sector types, brings up the point of the personal costs public service. Whether what you get for living your ideas is worth what you give up.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Saw Batman-excellent movie!. Warning-Not a family friendly movie. A very deep movie that ask a lot of moral questions and doesn't give you easy answers. Ledger loses himself into the Joker, a truly fightening character. Maybe not Oscar worthy-but very memorable. Christian Bale makes a better Bruce Wayne than he does a Batman. The voice gets real grating after a while. For us public sector types, brings up the point of the personal costs public service. Whether what you get for living your ideas is worth what you give up.
    I saw it to..
    Its a good movie but is 30 to 40 min to long. If it would of ended around the hour and 50 min mark it world of been a fantastic movie with a better story.

Christian Bale is by far the best batman of his time. Batman Begins(his first batman movie) was better but Health Ledger did do very good as joker.
    In short very good movie but if you havnt seen "batman begins" rent that instead.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Agreed....The Dark Knight was awesome!

Wall to wall action, amazing acting, and great moral/philosophical story.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    saw Dark Knight last night. quite good. as much as i detest Heath Ledger, he did a very nice job in this movie.

though i would've appreciated more scenes of a shirtless Christian Bale.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    another batman fan, saw it yesterday as a way to find an air conditioned room to hide out in.

for something to make you think, check out carts of darkness if you get teh chance. very well shot, and an interesting story about a set of people you see but never get to know - bottle pickers.

http://nfb.ca/webextension/carts-of-darkness/media.php

http://murraysiple.com/
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    Its a good movie but is 30 to 40 min to[o] long...Batman Begins (his first batman movie) was better...
    I agree with both of these statements. I saw it on Friday.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Actually, Batman Begins was shown on FX the other night, so I was finally able to see it. The last Batman movie I saw had Michael Keaton in it... I'm a little behind the times.

Now I am ready to see The Dark Knight.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    The last Batman movie I saw had Michael Keaton in it... I'm a little behind the times.
    Remember to avoid the George Clooney one.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Remember to avoid the George Clooney one.
    And you might as well avoid Mr. Kilmer's Batman also.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Funny thing about actors playing Batman...they ALWAYS get upstaged by the fun, colorful and interesting villains. Playing Batman from this perspective is kind of a thankless 'straight-man' task. Back when Batman was a prime time tv show, stars were standing in line to play the villain roles and they landed some real talents (e.g. top Banana Frank Gorshen and A-list horror movie star Vincent Price come to mind) back in the day.

+ Reply to thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2