Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I watched Derailed this weekend...pretty good flick, violent and bloody with a decent story line....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this weekend. I thought it was as good if not better than the previous three (good to get away from goody two shoes Chris Columbus direction and allow directors with more talent in painting a darker tapestry to match the darker story themes found in the later Potter stories.

Someone asked me what I liked best about the film and I heard the words escape from my mouth "I really liked the visual effects this time". Now, normally when the first thing you think of is the fx it's usually the death nell for a film (no story just eye candy), but I found the visual effects enhanced an already strong story in this case. In terms of editing the directors wisely chose to whittle down the whole Rita Skeeter subplot as well as a number of other subplots in order to get the film down to two and a half hours (remember the book is something like 500-600 pages). So kudos for good editing too.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I watched Derailed this weekend...pretty good flick, violent and bloody with a decent story line....
    Sounds like my weekend. Helping to install X-mas decorations (at two houses), Magic v. 'Blazers basketball game (Magic won), UF v. FSU football game party (why did the over-weight, middle-aged+ woman have to keep flashing herself? ), lunch at the Wing House, and oh let's see, what else can I remember and want to forget?

I'm kidding. Can't anybody take a joke around here?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    We watched The Polar Express last night. Worthy of a look.
    We rented, and saw it with the kids this weekend. Good, light weight, family flick.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by statler
    If you liked the musical, you'll probably like the movie. If you are the least bit cynical (like me) you can probably skip it.
    Personally, I enjoy musicals, in person, but not on screen. I think it is fun to watch the carefully coordinated performances. A musical is one of the most difficult types of performances to pull off, if only due to the combination of timed music and typically large numbers of people involved.

Putting on a movie screen removes that element, and makes it unwatchable.
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Breed
    Personally, I enjoy musicals, in person, but not on screen. I think it is fun to watch the carefully coordinated performances. A musical is one of the most difficult types of performances to pull off, if only due to the combination of timed music and typically large numbers of people involved.

Putting on a movie screen removes that element, and makes it unwatchable.
    That's why I hated "Chicago".

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jenniplans
    That's why I hated "Chicago".
    This Bear likes musicals and I like them when they are on the silver screen.

As for "unwatchable".....

It may be unrealistic to see people break into song and dance. Probably just as unrealistic to see Arnold S. or any other action actor single-handedly fight off thirty (30) machine-gunning terrorists. They are all incredibly bad shots and Arnold never misses. What a joke.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    So, who has seen King Kong and did you like it? I thought it was great! And I had been thinking I wouldn't like it. But it's a lot of fun - very entertaining. Two of my flatmates worked on the movie so were very excited about the recent release.

I saw the World's Fastest Indian last night which was also really good. It's not really a movie about a motorcycle - it's more about the fact that it's never too late to pursue your dreams. It was partly filmed here, and partly in the U.S. Anthony Hopkins does a fairly good imitation of the Kiwi accent Has anyone else seen this?
    Last edited by JNL; 05 Jan 2006 at 4:16 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    As it can be apreciated to the left... I've seen The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... Yes, that was the high point of NYE... I found it quite good, of course it's not a super classic that you can watch 10000 times, but it's good enough to laugh through it. My brother says that the book is better, but I guess that's no news, since that's what usually happens, I've heard that the movies of both Bicentenial man and Fahrenheit 451 are horrible (especially the latter). And I bet that the recently released Narnia Chronicles will be just the same.

And now to King Kong.... personally I'll do the same that I did with Harry Potter and Star Wars movies... miss it... I don't look forward in spending 3 hours + seated in a cinema... ugh.. It seems that Peter Jackson just can't make short movies.. Don't even remind me of Insomniac's cure LotR series...

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I saw King Kong a couple of weeks ago and hated it! I guess i felt that the acting- well it wasnt really acting- naomi watts just stood there, looked horrified and screamed the whole time and yeah that was about it.

I wasnt a fan of Lord of the Rings so it didnt suprise me that i didnt like it. King Kong felt very choppy in sections and yeah too much "special effects".

I also saw Cheaper by the dozen 2 the other day- it was a fun movie, didnt have to think too much, i quite enjoyed it!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    So, who has seen King Kong and did you like it? I thought it was great! And I had been thinking it wasn't really my sort of movie. But it's a lot of fun - very entertaining. Two of my flatmates worked on the movie so were very excited about the recent release.
    I took the boys to see it this past weekend, I really liked it. Didn't think I would, figured I'd get a nap in but I watched the entire thing, it kept my attention. I did have to cover my youngest ones eyes during the "native" scene...both boys have been sleeping in my bed ever since the movie

Registered
    Feb 2004
    King Kong was okay. Better than I expected. They could easily have cut about 50 minutes out of the picture (dinosaur chase/fighting scenes went on and on and on and on.....)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

* The Deadly Companions (1961)
    * Ride the High Country (1962)
    * Major Dundee (1965)
    * The Wild Bunch (1969)
    * The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970)
    * Straw Dogs (1971)
    * Junior Bonner (1972)
    * The Getaway (1972)
    * Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973)
    * Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
    * The Killer Elite (1975)
    * Cross of Iron (1977)
    * The Osterman Weekend (1983)

Oh yeah and Convoy

Registered
    May 2003

Fail Safe

This Bear has mentioned the movie FAIL SAFE.....in this thread and in other threads. But only passing mentioning, so here's a bit more detail.....

FAIL SAFE was on Turner Classic Movies today (Saturday, 1-21-06). I don't have a copy so I recorded it.

The story line is similar to DOCTOR STRANGELOVE......but this is not a black comedy. A computer malfunction (computers in 1964.....cool!) leads to American nuclear bombers going past their standard "Fail Safe" point on the path to the Soviet Union. The American president and the military must help the Soviets shoot down the bombers, before they destroy Moscow.

Henry Fonda was superb in his role as President. Kudos also to Larry Hagman (pre-"Genie" days) playing the interpreter who is with President Fonda, deep underneath Washington (in a nuclear bunker). Hagman not only interprets the discussion with the Soviet Premier, he also offers quick insights into how he interprets the emotion and feeling in the Premier's voice.

Walther Matthau almost steals the show, playing a policy wonk who is only concerned with taking out as many "Ruskis" as we can.....what the hexx, a bomber group is on its' way, send all of them.

The classic scene of course.....the President offers New York City as a target for an "American" nuclear bomber.....proving to the Soviet Premier that it was really an accident and the Soviets should not respond with a full scale counter-attack. During this exchange, the President tells the Ambassador to the Soviet Union, who is in a hotel in Moscow, that the Ambassador will hear the sounds of the bomber as it approaches Moscow, will see a bright light.....and the President (in Washington) will hear a high-pitched squeal.....which is the sound of the Ambassador's phone melting.
    _____

I watched this movie right after watching THE BEDFORD INCIDENT.

In this movie, a confrontation off the coast of Greenland, between an American nuclear submarine and a Russian nuclear submarine, leads to some real world tension. Unfortunately, the commander of the U.S. sub is a bit of a stubborn hot head who makes a fatal miscalculation. Everybody in the world dies.

Just an OK movie. Scary ending, though.
    _____

This has been Bear at the movies.
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Fail Safe is a really good flick, I have it on tape. Politicians who can't warn their families, then everyone is in freeze-frame as the bomb hits. Must watch it again soon.

Registered
    May 2003

Oscars 2006

This morning they released the names of the nominations for Academy Awards (Oscar). Shortly thereafter the outcry began.....

Brokeback Mountain.....Lots of noise about the nominations for this recently-released flick that features a love affair between a couple of gay cowboys. The outcry heard is that "Hollywood is pushing their non-family values" on an unsuspecting world.

Give me a break. We all know what the movie is about. If you don't dig the subject matter, ignore the movie.

Nothing In The Top 90.....From what I have heard, none of the movies nominated for BEST PICTURE are even in the Top 90 movies in box office dollars. The outcry related to that: Why would the Academy continue to choose movies that people don't go to?

My take? Most people go to movies that would never-ever come close to qualifying for any kind of award (other than "bad movie" awards). The history of the Oscars is filled with years that wonderful movies won BEST PICTURE yet nobody went to see them.

Remember "Gandhi"? How about "Chariots Of Fire"?

BTW.....the announced list re-ignited my desire to see "Crash".

Siskel, Ebert, Maltin, & Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Why would the Academy continue to choose movies that people don't go to?

My take? Most people go to movies that would never-ever come close to qualifying for any kind of award (other than "bad movie" awards). The history of the Oscars is filled with years that wonderful movies won BEST PICTURE yet nobody went to see them.

Remember "Gandhi"? How about "Chariots Of Fire"?
    True, but on the other hand what about the years when the academy votes best picture for movies like "Braveheart", "Titanic", or "Gladiator"? Box office successes - sure. Benchmark films that advance the art form......not.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Took the boys to see Nanny McPhee this weekend...what a sweet, cute movie!!!!

Registered
    May 2003

Some Keepers!

In the last month, I saw:

Good Night and Good Luck - a masterful capturing of a master at work and a time that wrestled with the some of the same issues with us today; the role of the press and where's the line between news and entertainment? Particularly appreciated the tasty musical interludes which featured local heroine and Diva Diane Reeves. Bravo, Mr. Clooney!
    Capote I was a kid when the book came out and it scared the daylights out of me. Phillip Hoffman's depiction of Capote's unraveling is one of the most powerful performances I've witnessed on film.
    Bullitt Now, for something completely different! I caught this on a inflight channel and was a kid when this came out, too and was preoccupied at the time with that state-of-the-art car chase through the Tenderloin. Now, I'm more appreciative of McQueen - his expressions told the story and he didn't need a whole lot of diologue. The supporting cast was so strong, too - Bob Duval's 1st big screen perfromance as the cabbie and the swarmy political hack played by Robert Vaughn. And don't forget Jackie Bisset!

In honor of Oscar season, here are my favorite movies of 2005:

#1 Syriana - Brilliant film about oil, rogue states and business.
    #2 Les Poupées Russes - You probably haven't heard of it. A franco-anglo-russian coproduction starring Romain Duris, Audrey Tautou, Cécile de France and a bunch of no-namers. A strugging young writer in Paris wonders why he keeps being hired to write love stories even though he doesn't understand love at all. When the TV movie he is writing is purchased by a British company he becomes a victim of globalization and moves to London, where he'll have the opportunity to sort out his life. A movie so uplifting it almost overwhelms the amazing scenery. Great shots of Paris, London and Saint-Petersburg for you good urbanism fans.
    #3 Crash - Everyone's heard of it.
    #4 Green Street Hooligans - If Fight Club had been about people fighting because they love life instead of fighting because they hate it, it would have been Green Street Hooligans. More great shots of London.
    #5 De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté - Another Romain Duris film. The son of a Paris landlord makes a living buying apartment buildings filled with African squatters and "cleaning" them up. He hates the job and would really rather follow his mother's footsteps as a pianist. A completely dislikeable character is gradually given a human side as he struggles to reform himself.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I psased out wtaching Police Acamady a cuople nights ago. Does that count?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I psased out wtaching Police Acamady a cuople nights ago. Does that count?
    Hey, are we still going to see "Bareback Mounting" tomorrow??? Let me know tomorrow buddy.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Hey, are we still going to see "Bareback Mounting" tomorrow??? Let me know tomorrow buddy.
    Yes, Bugdie will be here in time to make it a three way.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Yes, Bugdie will be here in time to make it a three way.
    Sweet!!! I'll get out out the tents.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Watched Cinderella Man. I was very impressed and thought that not only is it a great movie, it was a phenomenal story.

I also enjoyed Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

The GF and I watched a lot of movies, so we joined Net Flix. Thus far, I like the program. We save money not only because we rent a lot of movies, but we stay in more!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place