Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Has anybody seen "The Fighter" with Mark Wahlberg? I kind of want to see that based on the previews but am looking for a second opinion.
    Finally saw this last night on DVD. Very good movie. Some parallels to Rocky but a modern take and it also follows the main character's (Mickey's) relationship with his family and especially his messed up older brother.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Anybody wanting to see The Conspirator, telling the story of Mary Surratt ?

Directed by Robert Redford,
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Feelin a little under the weather this weekend, which was a great opportunity for me to scratch a few movies off the list. I decided to watch 127 Hours, Synecdoche New York, and Inland Empire. Thatís right, my couch had an ass-groove by the end of this weekend.

127 Hours was great. Iím a huge fan of Danny Boyle. I think I still liked Trainspotting best out of his movies, but this one was still great. My favorite part is that it was short and sweet. I could barely even sit through Avatar in theaters because it was soooooo long. I would recommend this to just about anyone (except for the one gory scene in the movie, that may be a little to much for the weak stomachs).

Synecdoche New York was even better. Warning: Do not watch this movie alone like I did, it is one of the most depressing movies I have ever watched. Nonetheless, I would have sooner given Phillip Seymour Hoffman the award for this rather than Capote. Amazing visual effects as well. Iím surprised by how few people I talk to have hard of this movie. It was fantastic, I canít believe it didnít get more hype.

Inland Empire. Wow. I donít know what it is about David Lynch movies (morbid curiosity I suppose), but I can never look away. I think I have seen every one of his movies, even the extremely bizarre Eraserhead, and Inland Empire was even MORE difficult to understand what was going on (can you tell this is an Indie film?) Apparently, Lynch was acting completely insane during the filming; constantly writing and re-writing the script and frequently disappearing etc. I will say, however, that some parts of the movie were so creepy it made me shiver. If anyone has ever experienced that really bizarre period of dreaming where you know you are dreaming and you are literally lying in bed aware of this fact, yet you continue to act out and interact with whatever dream sequence is taking place, thatís what this movie reminds me of. I donít know if I would recommend this movie to everyone but the avid Lynch fans out there should definitely give it a shot.

Okay, thatís all I got. Time to get back to workÖ
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was thoroughly prepared to dislike Unstoppable, but ended up getting inexorably drawn into the story regardless. I figured it would be another Speed but was pleasantly surprised to find they actually made some effort to develop characters (keep in mind this is an action flick). I can't but help to like Denzel Washington it seems in just about any film he's in. Whatever he's selling I seem to be buying, and this film was no exception. The casting was brilliant, notably the choice of Ethan Suplee ('Randy' from My Name is Earl) in the role of The Screw-up and Washington, of course, in the role of engineer Frank Barnes.

I give it three stars.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

LOTR

Over a few weekends in April I watched all three episodes of Lord of the Rings. All three were very good. It was my first viewing of LOTR since the flicks came out, nearly a decade ago. I remain impressed at how faithful to the books that the movie versions were. Yes, some parts were eliminated......but even with those deletions each flick was about 3 hours long.

I have read the books probably about 6 to 8 times. Watching Frodo and the gang gave me an urge to read them again. Maybe this summer!

The soundtrack was excellent, the scenery superb, the special effects dazzling. I enjoyed all three!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Anyone seen Thor yet? I'm thinking about taking my Little Sister (from the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization) to see it, but I was hoping someone here could tell me if it's worth it.

She's an immature 13 year old. Will she get it?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    Feelin a little under the weather this weekend, which was a great opportunity for me to scratch a few movies off the list. I decided to watch 127 Hours, Synecdoche New York, and Inland Empire. Thatís right, my couch had an ass-groove by the end of this weekend.

127 Hours was great. Iím a huge fan of Danny Boyle. I think I still liked Trainspotting best out of his movies, but this one was still great. My favorite part is that it was short and sweet. I could barely even sit through Avatar in theaters because it was soooooo long. I would recommend this to just about anyone (except for the one gory scene in the movie, that may be a little to much for the weak stomachs).

Synecdoche New York was even better. Warning: Do not watch this movie alone like I did, it is one of the most depressing movies I have ever watched. Nonetheless, I would have sooner given Phillip Seymour Hoffman the award for this rather than Capote. Amazing visual effects as well. Iím surprised by how few people I talk to have hard of this movie. It was fantastic, I canít believe it didnít get more hype.

Inland Empire. Wow. I donít know what it is about David Lynch movies (morbid curiosity I suppose), but I can never look away. I think I have seen every one of his movies, even the extremely bizarre Eraserhead, and Inland Empire was even MORE difficult to understand what was going on (can you tell this is an Indie film?) Apparently, Lynch was acting completely insane during the filming; constantly writing and re-writing the script and frequently disappearing etc. I will say, however, that some parts of the movie were so creepy it made me shiver. If anyone has ever experienced that really bizarre period of dreaming where you know you are dreaming and you are literally lying in bed aware of this fact, yet you continue to act out and interact with whatever dream sequence is taking place, thatís what this movie reminds me of. I donít know if I would recommend this movie to everyone but the avid Lynch fans out there should definitely give it a shot.

Okay, thatís all I got. Time to get back to workÖ
    I completely agree on Synecdoche, NY. Great movie. It took almost until the very end for me to piece it together the first time I watched it but once I figured out what was going on I was putting it all together in my mind for hours afterwards and couldn't even sleep that night because I was seeing how it all fit together. I could watch it 5 times and still be finding little metaphors and references in there. That's a mark of a great movie.

I shall have to see both 127 Hours and Inland Empire. Have heard good things about both.

Another movie I have to see is Win Win. I know somebody who saw it and they loved it, plus 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is almost unheard of. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win_win_2011/
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Another movie I have to see is Win Win. I know somebody who saw it and they loved it, plus 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is almost unheard of. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win_win_2011/
    I haven't even heard of this movie and it's got a higher percentage than the Dark Knight! Haha, I guess I gotta get with the times and check it out.

Also, if anyone out there hasn't already seen Sling Blade, cancel your weekend plans. This movie is more important hrmmm
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    May 2004
    Just saw "Let me in" on netflix instant. Wow what a good movie- if you like really well done creepy vampire movies. Luckily I love those kind of movies!

Honestly this is one of the better movies I have seen in a very long time.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2003

The Kids Are Alright

Last night I watched The Kids Are Alright. It was a good flick with strong performances by all the main characters, especially Annette Bening. You probably are aware of the main plotline.....lesbian couple with children (created via the magic of a sperm donor ) meet the donor, years after the children are born. The donor, played by a laid-back Mark Ruffalo, and the family get close.....too close.....Ruffalo's character and Bening's life-partner Julianne Moore enter into a do-the-nasty relationship.

What I found interesting is that this is really a movie about an extra-marital affair, "new century" style. The hurt caused by an affair is not limited to "normal" (traditional) families. This movie handled it well.

Bear Rating = 7

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Didn't see Harry Potter this weekend, but it seems a lot of people did...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/potter-...154438653.html

$168 million in one weekend. That puts it as the 169th highest grossing movie all time in the first weekend. Higher than Slumdog Millionaire or Lethal Weapon 2 ever took in.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Just saw "Let me in" on netflix instant. Wow what a good movie- if you like really well done creepy vampire movies. Luckily I love those kind of movies!
    That was a good movie! A little icky sometimes, but overall very well done.

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Last night I watched The Kids Are Alright. It was a good flick with strong performances by all the main characters, especially Annette Bening...
    I was super excited to see this film when it first came out, but ended up hating it. I cannot figure out why Hollywood must make every movie that features a strong lesbian character a story about a lesbian lusting after a man. Why do they always do that? Why? Why? Why? You never see movies about straight men lusting after a gay man or movies about a gay man lusting after a woman. Yet so many movies with lesbian characters have this in their plot line somewhere.

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Didn't see Harry Potter this weekend, but it seems a lot of people did...
    It was good, but like many other films that are the last of their story lines, the ending was exceedingly long.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Watched Winnie the Pooh last weekend with the family and was very happy with it. It is a real children's movie that's not trying to be anything but a good movie for children. Plus, it was funny in that some much of the humor was intrinsic to the action and characters and was simple pleasant.

Good use of an hour+ during the heat wave of 2011.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2003

Tammy Faye

Recently watched The Eyes Of Tammy Faye. Interesting, somewhat informative. I came away with a more positive view of her. The documentary seemed fair. (It is somewhat dated, filmed more than a decade ago.)

Bear Scale: 6

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I promised my Little I'd take her to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and so I did. Not as bad as I expected, I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, but it was very obvious I wasn't the taget audience. It was longer than I expected, too - which of course meant more time to blow things up.
    My Little, however, loved it!

So I give it 2 stars, and she would give it 3.5.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I promised my Little I'd take her to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and so I did. Not as bad as I expected, I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, but it was very obvious I wasn't the taget audience. It was longer than I expected, too - which of course meant more time to blow things up.
    My Little, however, loved it!

So I give it 2 stars, and she would give it 3.5.
    My BF made me go see this movie with him a couple of weeks ago. He enjoyed watching things blow up and the eye candy. I clearly wasnt their target audience either
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We finally watched the movie Inception last night. I know it was nominated for all sorts of awards - and I remember it received a lot of good reviews - but I was disappointed. There was almost too much action, and not enough focus on the more intriguing aspects of the plot. My husband even went to bed without finishing it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Watched Winnie the Pooh last weekend with the family and was very happy with it. It is a real children's movie that's not trying to be anything but a good movie for children. Plus, it was funny in that some much of the humor was intrinsic to the action and characters and was simple pleasant.

Good use of an hour+ during the heat wave of 2011.
    We took Junior to see Winnie the Pooh a couple weeks ago. I liked how they have returned to the 'original formula'. You're right, it was refreshing to see a movie that didn't try to appeal to adults too by throwing in lots of pop culture references (and it seems everyone tries to do that now) and simply tried to appeal to kids. It was very much like the classic Winnie the Pooh features from a generation ago. Although I will say John Cleese is not Sebastian Cabot.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    My wife and I went to the movies yesterday to see Moneyball. It was only our second trip to the theatre since our daughter was born last summer (we used to go at least once a week).

We had both heard that Moneyball was good but I was a little apprehensive that about a sports movie where I already knew the outcome and that was going to be full of statistics. The movie pulled it off pretty well though and besides Brad Pitt, I think Jonah Hill really made the movie. It was nice to see him in something other than a comedy.

It would have been nice (but probably ruined the fun) if they would have told you how mediocre the A's have become since 2002 and especially how bad the main players that the movie focused on had become.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2004
    ^^I too saw Moneyball this weekend. While not my normal movie type, I was taking my dad - and sports movies are his thing. I liked it, because it explained the numbers game to me better than reading about it would have. He thought it was pretty good too, and even commented that the game scenes looked like real players, rather than a bunch of actors trying to play the game.

Some of the people in the movie are still around. Wash - the infield coach - is now with the Texas Rangers as head coach/manager.

One quote I can't seem to shake:
    Beane: No more stealing base.
    Player: But you pay me to steal bases.
    Beane: No, I pay you to get on first, not to get thrown out at second.
    Player: look of comprehension crosses his face

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    ^^I too saw Moneyball this weekend... the game scenes looked like real players, rather than a bunch of actors trying to play the game.
    I know the guy who played David Justice was an actual big league player for a few years and decided to go into acting when his career began to fizzle.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Did anyone see Courageous this weekend? The wife and I wanted to see it, but the only show we were able to attend was sold out already. From what I hear, it is one of the best movies of all time.

I wonder how well it will do knowing it is a faith based movie. While I hear that it is very entertaining, the message behind it is the important part. I know I will see it before it leaves the theaters.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Did anyone see Courageous this weekend? The wife and I wanted to see it, but the only show we were able to attend was sold out already. From what I hear, it is one of the best movies of all time.
    I was watching Religulous again.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I was watching Religulous again.
    Now that was a funny movie.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

The Deer Hunter

Home recuperating so plenty of time to watch my favorite movie of all-time: The Deer Hunter. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and probably (IMO) the best example of character development ever presented on film. The musical score is excellent, the location scenes superb.

This is a long movie, with well-drawn-out scenes. When it is over you will be stunned.....or at the least, you should be. The Deer Hunter is not really an anti-war flick.....it is the story of the relationships of a small group of friends and how the Vietnam War affected their lives.

This is a superb excursion into movie excellence.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review