Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Home recuperating so plenty of time to watch my favorite movie of all-time: The Deer Hunter. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and probably (IMO) the best example of character development ever presented on film. The musical score is excellent, the location scenes superb.

This is a long movie, with well-drawn-out scenes. When it is over you will be stunned.....or at the least, you should be. The Deer Hunter is not really an anti-war flick.....it is the story of the relationships of a small group of friends and how the Vietnam War affected their lives.

This is a superb excursion into movie excellence.

Bear

One of my favorite things to discuss with roomates in college was war movies. I think the best conversations always came from discussing the different perspectives on Vietnam from Deer Hunter, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now. I always appreciated Apocalypse Now first, Deer Hunter second, and Platoon the least, but I guess that's to be expected from a college boy like me. Someone who had actually been over there may have appreciated the more personal approach taken by the other two movies.

Just recently saw Thor. Meh. It kept me interested enough, but I wouldn't consider it worth a second viewing.

Has anyone seen Drive? I think I am on the fence whether this movie is worth going to the theater or just waiting to rent.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

All The President's Men

Last week I Amazoned a copy of All The President's Men. A great movie, from start to finish. And having watched the whole Watergate affair screen into our living rooms day after day, watching this flick creates a great sense of appreciation in the doggedy facts chase that the reporters went through. It also serves as a reminder that the transfer of power was orderly. This movie should be required in Civics classes in junior/senior high school.

Bear Scale: 8

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The Hubby and I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. I've been looking forward to the movie (yes, I've read the books and seen the Swedish films). The movie didn't disappoint. It felt a bit truer to the book than the Swedish version, and I like the Swedish version. Though I believe the American ending is a bit different from the book, but I'm not sure, I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again!! I would recommend the movie but it is not for the weak stomached. There are many violent graphic scenes and one scene of animal cruelty.

Daniel Craig did a good job but I had a difficult time divorcing him from Bond. He still looked yummy, either way.

Rooney Mara did a pretty good job as Lisbeth. At times I felt she was too pretty to be true to the book but it is Hollywood.

Robin Wright (Penn) played Erica and did an okay job but her neck will freak you out and stare at you through the entire movie.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    For my Christmas present my son took me to the movies. We went to see "Hugo." Directed by Martin Scorcese, you knew it was bound to be good and it was. Visually powerful. The whole hidden world inside the walls of the train station was well-defined. Sasha Baron Cohen (who I normally don't care for) was very good as the disabled railroad inspector. Ben Kingsley was great as usual. One of my favorite actresses - Emily Mortimer had a small role. The two kids were very good. In all, a good movie and a good time was had by us both.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    The Hubby and I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. I've been looking forward to the movie (yes, I've read the books and seen the Swedish films). The movie didn't disappoint. It felt a bit truer to the book than the Swedish version, and I like the Swedish version. Though I believe the American ending is a bit different from the book, but I'm not sure, I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again!! I would recommend the movie but it is not for the weak stomached. There are many violent graphic scenes and one scene of animal cruelty.

Daniel Craig did a good job but I had a difficult time divorcing him from Bond. He still looked yummy, either way.

Rooney Mara did a pretty good job as Lisbeth. At times I felt she was too pretty to be true to the book but it is Hollywood.

Robin Wright (Penn) played Erica and did an okay job but her neck will freak you out and stare at you through the entire movie.
    Thanks-I've also seen the Swedish version and read the book. Currently, I'm reading the second one in the trilogy
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I stayed home from work sick on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week so what better movie to watch while I was in a state of forced quarantine in the den? Contagion

I remembered seeing previews for it and really wanted to see it but it's definitely not my wife's type of movie and with a baby in the house it's hard to get out to the theater anyway. But this past weekend, one of my sisters mentioned it to me and it re-sparked the desire to see it in my brain.

The movie was pretty good and seemed to give a realistic portrayal of the process that goes into a disease turning into an epidemic. I especially liked the cinematography. I don't know what you would call it but it seemed to be shot in the same style as movies like Children of Men or 28 Days Later (I'm sure there are probably some happier movies to use the same style but I cannot think of any off the top of my head). The look was very gritty with plenty of single shot sequences. I wish the movie would have followed Jude Law's character's story a bit more though or shown a bit more of the fake news clips giving death tolls. I want to know how many people died damnit!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I watched "The Help" recently, and RJ saId something about that must be interesting for you since I'm from the south and my family employed maids. Not in Jackson Miss as in the movie, and not in the early 60's in my memory (tho' they were there then,I was too young to remember). I am conflicted, really. Enjoyed the book;the movie was very good. Not quite our experience inFL, though,I don't think. But I may be stupid.

Registered
    May 2003

The Help / The Day After

One of the Christmas presents that Katie asked for was for a DVD of the movie The Help. Santa did not disappoint her so we watched it on Christmas Eve. Good flick. Well-acted, good pacing to the story. Katie had read the book, this Bear had not. During the movie she was somewhat shocked at the attitudes of some of the folks. She shouldn't be, it existed (somewhat). On the Bear Scale I give this movie a 6.

Yesterday I watched The Day After, in snippets on You Tube. Still a damn scary scene when the doctor, played by Jason Robards, is on the freeway between Lawrence, KS and Kansas City and the mushroom clouds rise from the Kansas/Missouri metroplex. I remember when the movie was aired on television. About 100 million people tuned-in. President Reagan viewed the made-for-TV offering a few days before it was broadcast. Debatable whether the Prez was heavily-influenced, though strategic talks with the Ruskis did jump-start a while after the broadcast.

The movie is never clear about who pushed "the button" first. It makes a reference to Soviet ICBMs "in the air" at the same time that our folks have been given direct orders to launch. Imagine the horror of the Missouri farmer, with a missle silo near his land, seeing (and hearing) the American ICBMs roar out of their holes. One of the movie characters, seeing the trails in the sky, says, "It only takes 30 minutes to reach their target." The man standing next to him says, "And the same time for their's to reach us."

If you have never seen the movie (or it has been a while since you viewed it) you can watch it on You Tube, in (pardon the pun) short bursts. The horrifying scenes are in, I think, Part 6 or 7.

Bear Scale: 8
    _____

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Watched the Sherlock Holmes sequel earlier this week. It was very much along the lines of the first film and I enjoyed it immensely for what it was (don't go in expecting a faithful recreation of Conan Doyle). Best of all are the scenes where you see into Sherlock Holmes mind as he calculates/anticipates the sequence of actions during fights in slo mo and then play out the scene afterwards speeded up. Near the end of the film there is a scene where Holmes is contemplating attacking his arch nemesis Moriarty and after they show the slo mo sequence Moriarty says 'don't think you're the only one who can play that game' and proceeds to do his own slo mo calculation sequence.

Registered
    May 2003

Revolutionary Road

Tonight as we waited for the arrival of 2012, Katie and this Bear watched the 2008 flick Revolutionary Road. We had viewed it a couple years ago. Good movie. Katie Winslet is her usual "amazing" in the female lead. Leonardo DeCaprio was good as was Michael Shannon (in a minor role). The movie is a solid character study of a married couple, unhappy with their life and their choices. As the movie progresses we come to realize that Kate Winslet's character cannot love.....her husband or her children.

If you have gone through the end dance of a relationship this movie has the potential to leave you somewhat uneasy. It left me uneasy.

Katie noticed the pacing and the music and commented that it had the feel of an Alan Ball offering. He was responsible for American Beauty (producer) and that wonderful movie had the same director as Revolutionary Road, Sam Mendes. They are somewhat similar in "feel".

Bear Scale: 7

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Watched Melancholia last night. It's a strange, interesting, and very depressing movie. Throughout the movie I was very frustrated by Kristen Dunst's character (Justine) and her incredibly odd behavior at the beginning, but it all makes a lot more sense by the end, so it's worth sitting through IMO.

Visually and musically, it's fantastic. As far as the writing and the actual story, I'd say it was ok. I think it's definitely worth watching at least once...
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We watched Horrible Bosses last night. LMAO, and my husband actually laughed out loud several times! Two thumbs way up!

The scene in Bobby's house with the dust buster was great - total clueless! And "Gregory" was cute.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Took the girl and her friend to see the Adventures of Tin Tin on a rainy cold Saturday. It was very good and kept in line with the original (which I had seen a couple of). Its set up well for another 'adventure'

Its worth a rental (we saw it at the dollar cinema), good action, story line, and animations.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I watched The Human Centipede: First Sequence the other day and could give a review, but I think I'll watch this one and report back

http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/...arody-trailer/
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I highly recommend Captain America if you like mindless action flicks

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Watched Midnight in Paris. What a great movie! The Hemmingway characterization is outstanding.

Registered
    May 2003

The American

Last night I watched George Clooney in The American. Slow pacing, not a lot of talking, Clooney exhibiting a character who is sullen and withdrawn (because of the events that take place in the opening scenes). The movie does not go into detail in explaining some of the who and why aspects.....we are left to figure these things out as you go. The flick held my interest, which included some rather steamy sex scenes.

I liked the ending because it didn't hold back.

Bear Scale: 5

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The kid got me a blu-ray of "Close Encounters" for x-mas (along with a few other of my favorite movies) and we were watching it the other day. In one scene, Richard Dreyfus is reading about the little boy Barry's disappearance in the newspaper. It was about the "kidnaping".

Registered
    May 2003

Paris

Had a chance to (again) watch Paris, a 2008 French movie starring Juliette Binoche . Now I remember why I liked it when I first viewed it.....it is quite good. It involves a diverse set of characters going about their lives in Paris. Binoche's brother, a dancer, needs a heart transplant. He spends most of his time standing on his porch watching the Paris world go around. Binoche comes to live with him.....to cheer him up and (at the same time) get over her failed marriage. There are other characters with just as much film time yet this is not a movie where they all somehow meet in the end. Paris is a painting. A painting that I liked very much.

(Watched it on The Sundance Channel, in case you were wondering.)

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ and I just watched Moneyball and we thought it was terrific (except he apparently hates "flashbacks" in movies...): humor, quirky characters, fairly fast-paced (unlike actual baseball...).

Registered
    May 2003

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Today I watched (not my first time) the semi-documentary movie that focused on the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, Tora, Tora, Tora. The movie gives equal weight to both American and Japanese dealings in the days before the attack. The Oscar-winning special effects were, considering it was a 1970 movie, quite good. The semi-documentary flow doesn't bother with personal relationships, love interests, yadda......the usual fare for war flicks. The movie has been pronounced as "relatively accurate".

This Bear is a fan of war movies and this film rates high with me.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just picked up a vhs copy of 'Tora Tora Tora' at the library sale for 50 cents. Am looking forward to seeing it.

Took Junior to see 'The Lorax' last weekend. I enjoyed watching it. It's not a faithful re-telling of the Seuss' tv special from 40 years ago. New characters are introduced which help personalize the environmental/consumerism commentary and the ending is a bit different as well. Like just about every CG cartoon these days the animation is slick and story sails along without any dull intervals one might expect from what is ultimately a children's movie. Betty White's character got big laughs too. I intend to buy the DVD when it comes out.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Went to see Rock of Ages with a friend.

If you're in the mood for some laughs (some giggles too, but hey - we're girls!), fun music, BIG hair, and some flat out crazy dialogue, then this is the movie for you. The soundtrack is great - even the actors that usually can't sing have been "fixed" to sound at least not-cringe-worthy. The premise is entertaining and involves no thought, and the actors looked to be having a good time. The kid playing the male lead is good - he has a singing background so it wasn't hard to listen to him.

There's about 15-20 minutes of unnecessary film. It's not in a chunck; it's more like some scenes could have been shorter. There's a couple of scenes that a small child should not see.

For matinee price, I'd give it 2 thumbs up. If I'd paid full price, then only 1 thumb.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The fiancee and I have been a a big movie kick of late, buying a bunch of used ones at the local joint and watching one almost every day.

My ratings:
    Snow White and the Huntsman - saw this at the theater. Very contrived. Great visual scenes but the plot is exactly what you expect minus one twist, which you can almost guess from the title of the movie. The female lead who played Snow White leaves a lot to be desired. 2 stars

Into the Wild - Loved this movie. Amazing visual scenes. You are really drawn into the characters world and feel as though you are part of his physical and spiritual journey the entire time. Based on a true story. 4 stars

Ronin - DeNiro at his finest. Some of the greatest and most realistic car chase scenes of all time. 3 1/2 stars

The Italian Job - Another fast paced heist movie, also with some great (although less realistic) chase scenes. I think this one put Jason Statham on the map. 3 1/2 stars

Rob Roy - Epic movie in the vein of Braveheart. Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange are strong characters in this tale of a Scottish landowner fighting for his and his family's honor. 4 stars

Last of the Mohicans - I hadn't seen this in forever and it was as good as I remembered. A historical action/drama taking place during the French & Indian War with Daniel Day Lewis and (a very hot) Madeleine Stowe. 4 stars

City of God - This is a Brazilian movie (subtitled) about life in the slums outside of Rio de Janeiro and militant gangs that create a reign of terror and control through drug dealing and extreme violence. Excellent and realistic potrayal that I'm sure is not that exaggerated. 4 stars

The Celestine Prophecy - Based on the book of the same name, although I think this is a badly adapted version. Some cheesy acting, plot, and special effects kill what could have been an insightful movie. 1 1/2 stars

Chasing Amy - I think this is by far Kevin Smith's best work. A story about a comic book artist who falls in love with another female artist (Joey Lauren Adams) only to find out she is gay. He is forced to question his previously held beliefs as she turns her own world (and his) upside down for him, but he can't let go of his visions of her past, which ultimately kills any chance they had of making it work. 3 1/2 stars
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    The fiancee and I have been a a big movie kick of late, buying a bunch of used ones at the local joint and watching one almost every day.
    Seriously, where have I been?! Congrats on the engagement

+ Reply to thread
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place