Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Seriously, where have I been?! Congrats on the engagement
    I noticed that Rygor was using the F-word too. Thought maybe I'd missed the announcement.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Seriously, where have I been?! Congrats on the engagement
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I noticed that Rygor was using the F-word too. Thought maybe I'd missed the announcement.
    Ha ha! Thanks. We've been engaged over 3 months now but I guess I forgot to make a formal announcement here.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2007

Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

I took myself to see The Dark Knight Rises after work yesterday and loved it. I enjoyed it so much that when my wife and daughter got home later that evening I was trying to convince my wife to get a sitter so we could go see it again.

Over the weekend my wife and I watched the first two again and after doing so, I think the first one is still my favorite. The Scarecrow was really an underrated character and probably the most interesting of all of the villains. And more enjoyable to watch than Heath Ledger's Joker (I still prefer Jack Nicholson to Heath Ledger in that role). The first iteration in this trilogy was definitely the darkest, thanks to the hallucination scenes, and I think that's why I like it the most still.

This latest one seemed to have the strongest story but I didn't really care for Bane. He was just too unbelievable - maybe it was the dumb mask thing across his mouth and nose. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was awesome in his role as a police detective and Anne Hathaway may indeed be one of the hottest actresses in theatres these days. The best part of this movie however was the ending. It was a perfect ending for the trilogy.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't recommend The Campaign. Will Ferrell plays a character which is an basically an unfunny version of Ron Burgundy. Zach Galifinikis is good for most of the laughs, but not enough to make it make it more than a rental IMO

Registered
    Jun 2009
    In case I forgot to mention it, I saw Saturday Night Fever for the first time ever a week or so ago. I just wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I still don't know. I don't think there was a single likeable character in that whole movie, there was only one decent dancing scene, and the plot was lacking. I'd like that two hours of my life back, please.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    In case I forgot to mention it, I saw Saturday Night Fever for the first time ever a week or so ago. I just wanted to know what all the fuss was about. I still don't know. I don't think there was a single likeable character in that whole movie, there was only one decent dancing scene, and the plot was lacking. I'd like that two hours of my life back, please.
    Me, too, and I saw it (once was enough) way back when. Same with "Urban Cowboy". Yawn.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Saw The Bourne Legacy last weekend. It's...ok...but the movie spends so much time trying to establish the background for what's going on that it doesn't have a chance to develop the characters any, and, even with that, you'd be totally lost if you haven't seen the three previous Bourne movies (and especially the third one).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Saw The Bourne Legacy last weekend. It's...ok...but the movie spends so much time trying to establish the background for what's going on that it doesn't have a chance to develop the characters any, and, even with that, you'd be totally lost if you haven't seen the three previous Bourne movies (and especially the third one).
    I saw this one too. I liked it, but thought parts of it were too long/copies of elements from the previous Bourne movies. Overall one thumb up, if I'd paid full price might have been disappointed. Did like the fact that it leaves open the chance for either Cross or Bourne to return in the next movie. Possibly both!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've watched a number of films this past week due to the bed rest. Thank god for cable!

Two of the best I saw were: Paris, je t'aime. It is 20 vignettes about life in the various neighborhoods of Paris. Each vignette is only a five minutes long. I enjoyed almost all of the stories and the cinematography was wonderful. It made me want to go back to Paris and wander about.

Fish Tank is the other film. I saw it the other day and am still thinking about it. It is about a 15 yo girl growing up in the London projects. Her mother gets a new boyfriend (Michael Fassbender ) and the girl's life changes. It is like a train wreck where you can't look away.

I would recommend both.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have seen:

Argo
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Les Mis

Of the three I like Les Mis the best. Not that the other two weren't great... they were just more blah to me. Maybe it is the theater guy in me, but Les Mis was great.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Maybe it is the theater guy in me, but Les Mis was great.
    Must...bite...tongue....mmppphhhfff.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Saw The Imposter this weekend on Netflix.

Great documentary! Shot with an eye towards drama, the movie plays out over several months, and pulls you in. Even though you figure out how it ends - and you're supposed to! - , you still can't look away. Two thumbs up!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My wife and I saw Admission on a date yesterday...meh...it was OK, but nothing amazing. But could have been worse were it not for Tina Fey and Paul Rudd.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Must...bite...tongue....mmppphhhfff.
    Boo... hiss
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Saw "Silver Linings Playbook" last night. Amazing. De Niro, Cooper, and Lawrence were spectacular. It was funny, sad, and just the right amount of sarcasm.

Probably one of the best movies I have seen in years.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Discussing movies with a neighbor couple we were out with on Saturday, and the neighbor lady asked about "Safe Haven", which we had seen. I remarked (I think fairly) that I didn't think it was any good but that Julianne Hough isn't hard to look at so her husband would tolerate seeing the movie. In retribution I was forced to watch G.I. Joe Retaliation so my wife could remark how easy it was to watch Dwayne Johnson throughout the movie. I really love her sometimes.

By the way, skip both the movies in this post. 2 stars each except for the pretty people in them. The best part of G.I. Joe is watching some fairly good actors deliver lines like "Where is Cobra Commander?"
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2005
    Am I the only heterosexual male who pictures a three way with me, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis when watching Oz: The Great and Powerful. And they would be in full witch costume.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Am I the only heterosexual male who pictures a three way with me, Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis when watching Oz: The Great and Powerful. And they would be in full witch costume.
    Nope.

+ Reply to thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2