Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    For the The Bear -

The mesmerizing, heart-tugging concert film "Heart of Gold" confirms Neil Young's stature as a national treasure.

collaborating with filmmaker Jonathan Demme (Stop Making Sense)
    another great concert film IMHO

Movie review from USA TODAY:
    http://www.usatoday.com/printedition...gold10.art.htm
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

A Couple Days Worth Of Flicks

This Bear was off of work the last couple days. Spent a lot of time with movies in the DVD and/or VCR. Worked a whole lot on the fake city. Here's what I watched.....

Shadow Of The Eagle.....This 13-part black and white serial, from the early 1930's, stars John Wayne as a stunt pilot for a circus. As with all of the serials that used to run every Saturday in neighborhood movie houses, this series had all of the required plot development elements.....the young hero (honest always), the pretty daughter of the scientist, the evil group (bent on stealing gold or an important invention).

A few months ago I purchased a box set that contains twelve (12) of these classic serials.....150 total adventures. Almost campy presentations.....every episode ending with something like a plane crashing into a mountain. The next episode introduces the viewer back to the story.....and THIS TIME they show the plane's pilot jumping out of the plane before it hits the mountain. Typical. And fun.

My older brother would take me to the old Avalon Theater in Toledo, every Saturday. These serials were always on.....enticing us to return the following week. (Star Wars was based on these serials.)

Good Neighbor Sam.....This mid-1960's movie starred Jack Lemmon, Dorothy Provine, and a very lucious and yummy Romy Schneider. Lemmon and Provine live in a San Francisco cul-de-sac suburb. Old friend Schnieder moves in and, to get a $15 million inheritance she has to truck a private investigator that she is married.....so she "uses" Lemmon as her fake hubbie.

A fun movie for the planner's point of view.....those cul-de-sac 'burbs, traffic jams, everybody looking like sheep going to the office, huge billboards (part of the plot), the advertising game (using sex to sell milk products). A fun flick.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.....One (1) of my all-time faves, this romp through southern California (early 1960's) demonstrates our love for money.

As I watched it for the umpteenth time I was trying to recall who was still alive from the litany of "old Hollywood" stars that are in this movie. Stars that are gone include Spencer Tracy, Buddy Hacket, Ethel Merman, Jimmy Durante. Others in the movie that might be gone or are certainly getting on in age include Sid Ceaser, Milton Berle, Jim Backus, William Demarist, Buster Keaton. Mickey Rooney is still alive.....is Jonathan Winters?

Bear Has Found The Big W
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I love movies.

Some of my very favorites, but not in order:

1) Friendly Persuasion
    2) To Kill a Mockingbird
    3) The Searchers
    4) High Noon

I love Frank Capra movies:

5) Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
    6) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    7) It's a Wonderful Life
    8) Meet John Doe

9) The Quiet Man
    10) Altered States
    11) The Outlaw Josey Wales
    12) Hang 'Em High
    13) Destry Rides Again
    14) To Hell and Back
    15) Winchester '73
    16) The Naked Spur
    17) Silence of the Lambs
    18) Harvey
    19) Arsenic and Old Lace
    20) Raiders of the Lost Ark

I could go on and on. I love movies.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Why would the Academy continue to choose movies that people don't go to?
    Why should they feel obligated to choose the highest grossing movies? We already know which movies are the most popular, just count the ticket sales and list the results. If the Oscars where supposed to reflect the highest ticket sales, they'd just add up the numbers and be done with it. It'd be sorta repetitive.

Hey, McDonals serves more people than a gourmet restaurant, but you can't say the food is better.

The Oscars are about what films the movie industry thinks is best. They are allowed to chose whatever films they like the best, it's their award. And if I had a movie award, I'd have the right to pick what I like, not be obligated to only choose boxoffice blockbusters.

No one ever claimed it was a popularity award. It's a film making award by film makers and they're allowed to choose whatever they like. And we can take their recommendations or not.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Batman....the first movie. Bought it last week and watched it this morning. One of my favorites.

Michael Keaton,
    Jack Nicholson, and
    Kim Basinger (as Vickie Vale....aahhhhggggggggg, hottie ).
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I just saw Kung-Fu Hustle. Cute. Not quite as funny as I was expecting. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. The gags seemed to get more and more stupid as the movie went on. If you are a fan of kung-fu movies and you haven't already seen it you should pick it up ASAP.

I'm am unbelievably stoked for the upcoming DVD release of the REAL Kicking & Screaming movie. I saw this movie when I was just about the same age as the characters and it really hit home. The fact that it has fantastic dialog and a really sweet love story is just an added bonus.
    Last edited by statler; 04 Jun 2006 at 2:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    May 2003

Maria Full Of Grace

I watched the movie "Maria Full Of Grace". Very good movie, indeed.

The subject matter is tough. A pregnant 17-year old in Columbia quits her job in a flower factory (huge greenhouse) and becomes a "mule". Her new job is to swallow a couple dozen bags of heroin and fly to the United States. The film goes into the detail of how the mules coat the heroin packets with a soup-like substance and swallow each one WHOLE.

On the airplane going to New York City, Maria realizes that there are a number of mules on board. One of the other mules, matter-of-factly responds, "They always send a bunch on one flight. When one gets caught it takes the pressure off the others because the authorities are busy with the one getting caught."

Very well-acted, this movie will hold your attention.....for the topical subject matter, for the Colombian scenery, and you find yourself drawn-into this young woman's flirt with disaster. You root for her, even though she is a drug-runner.

See it.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My kid made me watch a "Family Guy" DVD with him last night. Never had seen Family Guy before. He kept watching me for my reactions. It was hard to keep a straight face. I had to admit afterwards that it was pretty funny.

Registered
    May 2003
    I was off work for a couple days. Watched a few old movies, including "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington". What a superb flick!

Sure, it has dated parts. Some of it is a little too unrealistic, especially the time-frame issues. (A lot happens in less than 24 hours.)

But, the idea of the little man with good intentions, fighting the system......wow! I have always remembered the key words that play out throughout the movie: "Lost causes."

Storyline: Jefferson Smith is a young, honest man in a state (that is never mentioned but reeks of Wyoming or Montana) that has just lost one of its' U.S. Senators. The corrupt political machine that controls the state wants another stooge, so they pick Smith, thinking they can control him and his votes.

The story peaks when Jefferson Smith stages an incredible fillibuster in the Senate. James Stewart is wonderful as Jefferson Smith. Claude Rains is really good as the other Senator from that unnamed state. The love interest is played wonderfully by Jean Arthur.

I strongly encourage all Cyburbians who love freedom to watch this movie.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by statler
    I'm am unbelievably stoked for the upcoming DVD release of the REAL Kicking & Screaming movie. I saw this movie when I was just about the same age as the characters and it really hit home. The fact that it has fantastic dialog and a really sweet love story is just an added bonus.
    I love that one too! Have you seen Metropolitan (the one from the 90s, not the old french film). It's awesome, and it just came out on dvd.

Saw Syriana the other night. Quite good (especially if you know the oil biz).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Just watched Nacho Libre last night (with jack black).

Man, that was a weird movie. I laughed, though.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Some of my recent Netflix picks....

Paradise Lost...amazing and poignant and depressing all in one go. My Israeli husband liked it which I was surprised at.

Spanglish....not a big Adam Sandler fan but this was a good family movie with Tea Leoni in it playing the neurotic housewife and the mexican? maid/housekeeper was a hoot.

Brokeback Mountain....they didn't show it here where I live (Bible Belt) but it was a pretty decent movie, but I think overhyped. The cinematography was beautiful but it was from Ang Lee so that was expected. A little graphic in places though.

Bee Season....excellent movie about a control freak father (Richard Gere), a musical prodigy son, the quiet daughter who unexpectedly wins the spelling bee, and a broken spirited mother (Juliette Binoche). The movie has many layers and nuanced stories all running together to make it not quite what you expect it to be in the end.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Since I completed school, I have seen more movies in the last few weeks than I have in the past six years, years I've been doing post-secondary schooling.

Here's a list of movies that I've seen:

About a Boy: I was struck by the concept of viewing time as in units of 30 minutes and by the concept of how "no man is an island" is true and how it's not so great after all. This movie had me realized how often Hugh Grant is portrayed as a rich, selfish bloke in all the movies I've seen him in (About a Boy[, Brigid's Diary, and Notting Hill).
    The Corporation: I was aghast at the remarks about how shoddy milks in the US are and at learning how corporations are viewed as persons, which still boggles my mind.
    Cheaper by Dozen: a cute mindless movie to watch. Oddly, I didn't laugh much.
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: Very interesting; memories are important, uh huh. I now appreciate Jim Carrey as an actor.
    Me and You and Everyone We Know: Strange how ordinary people meet up, eh?
    Dear Frankie: My heart just fell for the lil' smart boy Frankie, a boy who is deaf, who figured out the secret plot of her mother. Okay, I'll stop now before I give away the plot.
    Brokeback Mountain: Beautiful scenery of Alberta/Wyoming. Appreciated the emotional frustrations that some had to endure in the past years.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Just finished watching another movie that has touched me: About Schmidt

Wow, I didn't expect to be watching this kind of movie. I was expecting a comedy movie, but it was more of a "tradegy" movie that left me with some questions and thoughts to comtemplate.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Just finished watching another movie that has touched me: About Schmidt

Wow, I didn't expect to be watching this kind of movie. I was expecting a comedy movie, but it was more of a "tradegy" movie that left me with some questions and thoughts to comtemplate.
    That movie left me so sad. Not sure what I was expecting and I don't always like only feel good movies but I was depressed after watching that movie....

I just took the little one to see Cars, very cute flick. I like it better than many of the recent kids movies I have seen (Over the Hedge, Madagascar, etc...)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My recent movie watching

Art School Confidential - if you liked ghost world and are emo sympathetic then you'll like it

heart of the game - great documentary on girls basketball and coaching in seattle

hard candy - very good, but had to leave as it was really intense and psychologically disturbing, but shot beautifully with good dialogue
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Cheaper By The Dozen 2-amusing and light hearted, great for kids. Steve Martin is losing his edge I think.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004

Tired of Pretentious Movie Reviews?

Review of the Motion Picture "Cars"

It was really really really funny and I laughed and laughed a whole lot. The cars looked real neat too. The truck that talks like a hillbilly is the funniest part. I liked it. Everyone should go see it because it's really good. Really.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Dave Chappelle's Block Party: hilarious and has great concert footage, if you are into hip hop and neosoul. It made me wish that I was there...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Agreed Cars is the best Pixar has put out as far as detail and graphics. I am stunned at what they can do now. Watched Toy Story (for the umteenth time) night before last and while the story is classic Cars just blows the graphics out of the water.

Saw Madagascar this weekend, laughed and laughed oh my GOD that was funny
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003

Aqua-Man

I am not usually a fan of the super hero movies, but this new Aqua-Man flick looks interesting.

Bear's Entourage
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Rented Broken Flowers and Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang this weekend.

Broken Flowers was very enigmatic and didn't do the whole 'wrap the end and tell the audience the purpose' hollywood ending. Bill Murray was, again, great doing that whole "less is more" thing he's been doing in recent films.

Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang was a good murder mystery movie with a self-aware narrator (one of the main character) and breaking the line between audience and movie. Plus, it was funny, which always helps.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Just finished watching a movie that I borrowed from the public libary. It was the The First Wives Club. It was a fun movie with a few worthy laughable moments, but I am still left wondering why was this movie so popular.

Perhaps I don't realize how "pop culturally" important this movie was because I was in my mid-teens when this movie came out.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    [QUOTE=nerudite]I love that one too! Have you seen Metropolitan (the one from the 90s, not the old french film). It's awesome, and it just came out on dvd.

No. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Broken Flowers was very enigmatic and didn't do the whole 'wrap the end and tell the audience the purpose' hollywood ending. Bill Murray was, again, great doing that whole "less is more" thing he's been doing in recent films.
    I'm starting to like Bill Murray more with each film. I really like Broken Flowers, but Lost in Translation will be my favourite for a long time to come...

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 3:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 6:44 PM
  3. Radiant City: movie review
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2