+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    There is at least one person on this forum that would not appreciate the humor in this movie. Thus, I will not transport it to central Florida next weekend. What can I say?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    JARHEAD

tonight was the wrong night to watch thing. Just made me want to watch "Three Kings".
    Now my kids think I'm communist...lol
    Just kidding...but I do believe they are over me and my opinionated opinions...

Gave my 15 year old son a picture tonight of his Grandpa in Korea. I'm not sure what he is making of it...I'll keep you posted. He has never met him...I loved him more than anything...
    We will see how that goes...
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    During the rain this afternoon, I watched Six Days, Seven Nights.
    Anne Heche is hot. Wow.
    Harrison Ford looked old.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I went and saw an Australian film "Jindabyne" on the weekend.

I definately recommend it- good story line, great acting- although i would not call it an "entertaining" movie, more a D&M sorta one.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    I

Pirates: left a lot to be desired. Depp was good, but others kind of stunk it up. As a sequel, it seemed pretty contrived and more like a sequel to generate money than naturally progress a story.
    You are dead on about Pirates. I said the same thing (more or less) and thought I was going to be forced to walk the plank!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I am going to see Jesus Camp tomorrow at the Traverse City Film Festival on Lake Michigan. I can't wait!
    For anyone who interested, Jesus Camp was a frightening documentary that was captivating, provacative, and well done. I highly recommend it. Magnolia Films picked it up, and it looks like it will be in theaters this September.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    For anyone who interested, Jesus Camp was a frightening documentary that was captivating, provacative, and well done. I highly recommend it.
    What was the most frightening aspect of Jesus Camp that you found? I assume the documentary probably follows the lives of youngsters being brainwashed?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    What was the most frightening aspect of Jesus Camp that you found? I assume the documentary probably follows the lives of youngsters being brainwashed?
    Yes and no. The film gives plenty of camera time to the pastor. What she says and does is the most frightening aspect of the film. Some of the children's parents are pretty bad, too. One statistic provided in the movie states that 75% of home-schooled children are Evangelical Christians. And one of the home-schooling parents is interviewed. And her ignorance about the scientific process and basic logic, as she presents a lesson to her son, is downright unnerving. The film does what it is supposed to do - it is revelatory. But it is not deadly serious all the time, there are bits of wonderful ironic humor.

Registered
    Nov 2005

The Night Listener

I saw the Night Listener on Saturday night. Do not even waste your time with this piece of garbage. It is a thriller with no climax, no suspense, no ending, and no point. YAWN

Luckily it was free thanks to trying on a pair of jeans at American Eagle so I do not feel so bad about it.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Saw a Tim Burton movie on Sci fi last night-The Big Fish. It made me. whose emotional side is pretty well clamped down normally, cry.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Saw a Tim Burton movie on Sci fi last night-The Big Fish. It made me. whose emotional side is pretty well clamped down normally, cry.
    I saw that movie at the theatre a long tie ago. I can't remember if I fell asleep because I was exhausted or it was boring. All I remember is being made fun of by my friends for quite sometime.

Registered
    May 2005

TiVo'ed Movies

My wife and I watched:

The Upside of Anger, with Joan Allen and Kevin Costner...decent relationship movie, good for a few laughs, nice shots of the RenCen in Detroit

Closer, with Natalie Portman, Jude Law, Julia Roberts...a different type of relationship movie about trust, betrayal, and the grass being greener. I never viewed Natalie Portman as being "hot", just cute. But, wow, her stripper scenes in this movie have changed my mind.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2003

Kingdom of Heaven

Watched it last night (until the wee hours). Interesting character study, interesting ending, but not a lot of drama and such -- too predictable and surprisingly calm for a war movie. I am okay with that since I was not in the mood to have an emotional roller coaster ride, but one of my kids found it so boring he went to sleep after the first hour.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    II am inviting all of you to check out some older movies. They don't have to be flicks from my posts. Just take some time in the next year (easier to cozy up with a "blankie" and a movie when it is cold outside) and watch a Bette Davis movie or a James Cagney gangster shoot-em-up or a politcal movie made during the infamous Cold War (such as "Doctor Strangelove") or one of the fun movies from the early 1970's, when Hollywood was finally uncovering counter-cultures, boobs, and sex.

Over the years there have been tons of incredible movies that have graced the screens of the world. Open thy eyes.....every time you look forward to a new movie, remember to take the time to gaze back at the older movies.

Ohhh......BTW.....get over that black and white thing.

Bear On The Road To Morocco
    Bear, I love older movies. Marx Bros, Bette Davis, GWTW, whatever. Just could never stand Charlie Chaplin. Key Largo, Dark Victory, African Queen, Fail Safe, My Man Godfrey; great flicks. I got a bunch but haven't had the nerve to ask RJ if he'll watch....

Anyway, last few weekends, we've watched the new Blue Collar Comedy DVD a couple times, and it's a riot. Larry the Cable Guy is absolutely hysterical, if totally un-PC. Can't wait to see "Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector".

What can I say? Mostly, I like shallow, funny movies...

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I saw three movies over the weekend.

C.R.A.Z.Y. I'm not sure if this movie is well known outside of Canada. It's a Canadian film...okay, it's a Quebeçois film that got a lot of fanfare at international film festivals. It's about a Quebeçois family growing up in the 1960s and right through to the 1980s, with a 21st Century ending. Anyway, the focus of this family is on Zac because everyone older than Zac in the family suspects that he is gay but never addresses the suspicion until one rainy day. Excellent soundtrack! Very good use of items that scream 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 2000s throughout the movie. And, I must say that I enjoyed this movie.

Super Size Me Meh. I'm not sure what to think. I mean, I knew that fast food isn't healthy. However, I must say I'm surprise to see just how bad it can be if you go on a 21 fast food meals/week diet! (And, what is it about how they make chicken nuggets again? I'm not sure if I heard correctly and I don't want to state what I think I heard!)

What the Bleep do we know? I'm so unsure what is my guts feeling about this one. I mean, I liked Marlee Matlin in the movie and appreciated how the film didn't make a big deal out of her being deaf and somewhat "normalizes" the various ways she acted in this movie. But, the whole 'quantum physics = religion' bit is something I don't follow and I'm not sure if I should rewatch it to comprehend this stuff even better.

If anyone wants to take up this challenge, what's your take on What the Bleep do we know? ?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yesterday, I bought Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector on DVD. If I don't watch it tonight or tomorrow, I'll see it this weekend. ZG and her son are crazy about Larry.

Git-R-Done!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    ZG and her son are crazy about Larry.

Git-R-Done!
    Like you weren't laughing soooo hard during the last one that my kid thought you were going to have a seizure....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Yesterday, I bought Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector on DVD. If I don't watch it tonight or tomorrow, I'll see it this weekend. ZG and her son are crazy about Larry.

Git-R-Done!
    Lord, I apologize.

I watched the DVD tonight.

"I'm gitting to the the bathroom. I gotta take the browns to the super bowl."

"You talking sexy to me like I'm a third cousin."

"You don't want me eating that next to an open flame."

"You're going down like a piece of crap!"
    "Not me, I'm a floatie!"

ZG and her son will love it.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    I saw three movies over the weekend.

*snip*

Super Size Me Meh. I'm not sure what to think. I mean, I knew that fast food isn't healthy. However, I must say I'm surprise to see just how bad it can be if you go on a 21 fast food meals/week diet! (And, what is it about how they make chicken nuggets again? I'm not sure if I heard correctly and I don't want to state what I think I heard!)

What the Bleep do we know? I'm so unsure what is my guts feeling about this one. I mean, I liked Marlee Matlin in the movie and appreciated how the film didn't make a big deal out of her being deaf and somewhat "normalizes" the various ways she acted in this movie. But, the whole 'quantum physics = religion' bit is something I don't follow and I'm not sure if I should rewatch it to comprehend this stuff even better.

If anyone wants to take up this challenge, what's your take on What the Bleep do we know? ?
    I found SSM to be quite interesting. What really got me thinking about the effect fast food has on our bodies was his regular visits to the doctors. They monitored his heart, blood, etc. the whole time he was on the McD's diet. WOW - that opened my eyes.

My sister recommended WTBDWK, but I haven't seen it yet. I'll sign up for it on Netflix, and let you know!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Recently, I've seen a few movies.

Why do Fools Fall in Love? The only reason why I requested for this movie was because of its use of a well-known mid-century modern home overlooking LA. Wow was that home ever spectacular or what? As it turned out, I enjoyed the movie for its story.

At First Sight Aside from the cheesiness of the romance between Val Kilmer and Mira Sorvino, I quite enjoyed how the movie got me to consider what it'd be like to go from being blind to having vision and how seeing is not the same as looking. From this angle, I can see how this can be analogous to people who are born deaf and go through life without hearing and then being given the chance to hear by some magical surgery. Also, I actually feel that Val is more comfortable with being blind as most of his knowledge is based upon his learning the world through senses other than vision.

Mean Girls Again, I didn't have a good reason for watching this. I wanted to see this because of Lindsay Lohan. Actually, no. It's because of Molly Shanahan, who played Kristen Hadley (the one that Cady [Lindsay Lohan] thought was her classroom teacher because Kristen was so tall and then goes to sit down and french kiss her red-headed boyfriend). I went to school with Molly and her older sister and her younger brother. I wanted to see what she did for this movie. Anyhow, I was caught off guard by how humourous the movie is! And, I wonder if there'll be a "Mean Boys" version coming out in the future. Or is there one?

City of God (aka Cidade de Deus). Because of its high rating on imdb.com, I wondered why such a recent and foreign movie has such high rating. Now that I've seen it, I don't know if it deserves its high rating. Without a doubt, it has a good story. And, I did learn that there can be peace in a neighbourhood that has two rivarly gangs!

Ray. Another music movie. I think I'm starting to like this genre more than ever. Again, I enjoyed this movie, learning more about the musician and his music. I was touched by Ray's learning how to function in the world through his hearing and by how Ray's standing up for what he believes despite of potential monetary troubles was paid off when he was welcomed back to Georgia.

Btw, how does Netflix work? Is it like I-tunes, but you watch it from your laptop or computer? Does it provide closed-captioning?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux View post

Btw, how does Netflix work? Is it like I-tunes, but you watch it from your laptop or computer? Does it provide closed-captioning?
    I believe you pay a montly fee which entitles you to rent a certain number of movies. There are several levels of membership, with the most exspensive allowing unlimited rentals. I think you go to their website select what movies you want to order and then they mail them to you and once your done you mail them back for free and then this entitles you to receive the next movie on your list. If you can find some people to split the cost of the highest level of service in seems like it could be quite a cheap way to rent movies.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I belong to Netflix and love it. We get two movies at a time. We will watch one, and send that one back. While it is in transit, we will watch the other, and send that out, just about the time that they send us the other, So we almost always have a new movie that we are watching.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Rented Munich last weekend. Pretty decent, but long and barely held together.

Never saw either Spider-Man movies till this weekend - watched Spider-Man on Fox this past Friday night - liked it, so rented Spider-Man 2 on Saturday. Both were pretty good, but I'm not sure they would hold up to a second viewing.

Also rented V for Vendetta. This movie was awesome! Makes up for the string of crappy movies we've rented recently. This movie was very intriguing and held my attention and actually put me on the edge of my seat through much of it. The pacing was wonderful with good balance between V and Evey scenes and the police investigation scenes and the flashbacks of their recent history. I highly recommend it.
    Last edited by mendelman; 21 Aug 2006 at 3:28 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux View post

The plot in this movie is pretty unimportant. The film is a really a vehicle to explain how recent discoveries in neuroscience and quantum physics have great cosmological/spiritual/philisophical significance. The film succeeds in making the cosmic very accesible through imaginative use of computer animation interspersed with interviews with prominent people in the scientific and spiritual communities.

'Bleep' was similar in spirit to "Mindwalk" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100151/ which was simply dialogue between John Heard (a poet), Sam Waterston (a politician) and Liv Ulman (a physicist) expounding Frijtof Capra's views from his book "The Turning Point" http://www.mountainman.com.au/capra_1.html
    Great stuff if you're into philosophy!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh Yeah....

I'M TIRED OF THESE MUTHER#$%&#@$ SNAKES ON THIS MUTHER#@$%&#@ PLANE!!!!!

Yup, that's right, I went to see Snakes on a Plane and LIKED IT! Very funny B movie wanna be, only with a full budget and a major star. Classic line was worth the price of admission to me and the predictable plot/action was funny most of the time, even though brutal I wonder why they didn't release this gem closer to Halloween???

Four stars (out of five)
    Two thumbs up
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2012, 2:30 PM
  2. The Kung Fu Movie Plot Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM