Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Indiana Road Trip Next Weekend (10/28-11/1)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Indiana Road Trip Next Weekend (10/28-11/1)

Well, I am flying back to Indiana next Thursday to visit Mom in Fort Wayne. I'm thinking we would both enjoy a trip to either Brown County or Southeastern Indiana.

One route I'm considering is to take US 27 to I-75 to Cincinatti, one of my absolutely favorite cities, then winding our way west along the Ohio River to Madison, then back up through Indianapolis and maybe Columbus, Indiana. I have Friday, Saturday, and Sunday totally free for roadtripping.

Or, we could just head to Brown County via Indianapolis. I enjoyed Broadripple, Brown county is cute, and I could hit Columbus (I'm an architecture nut).

Any thoughts?

I love Greek Revival architecture, and the leaves should be great next weekend, so Madison/Switzerland County/Cincinnati should be pretty nice this time of year.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Well, I am flying back to Indiana next Thursday to visit Mom in Fort Wayne. I'm thinking we would both enjoy a trip to either Brown County or Southeastern Indiana.

Any thoughts?

I love Greek Revival architecture, and the leaves should be great next weekend, so Madison/Switzerland County/Cincinnati should be pretty nice this time of year.
    If you head up to Marshall, MI, (90 minutes north of Ft Wayne) you can see several fine examples of Greek Revival and Gothic Revival.
    http://www.marshallhistoricalsociety...lulu_house.htm
    Downtown has lots of Victorian homes and the leaves should be near peak next week. If nothing else, it'd be worth going to Marshall to have lunch at:
    www.schulersrestaurant.com
    You should let Michaelskis or I know if you're heading this way. We're not that far.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Stay away from Muncie.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    If you're headed south, and you're an architecture buff, might I suggest a day trip to French Lick and West Baden? The drive, down through Paoli, is gorgeous, the trees are just past peak, and the dome at the hotel at West Baden is amazing. Largest unsupported dome in the world. Landmarks bought the building a number of years ago and have stabilized it (it was sliding into the clay) and have renovated a few of the public rooms, including the dome. West Baden, the town, isn't much more than a handful of houses around the hotel, and French Lick is a bit bigger--your typical small Indiana town. The hotel there is lovely, too, dates back about 100 years. A nice way to spend a day, give or take. They also have train trips into the Hoosier National Forest.
    http://www.historiclandmarks.org/what/westbaden.html
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've never actually been to Marshall, so that's an idea.

I was really thinking of southern Indiana hills, but..

I only have three days, so I shouldn't try to do too much. .

Of course, my sister is lecturing me to "not wear mom out." My sister enjoys playing that role (the nag) too much-Mom would probably love a road trip.

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Stay away from Muncie.
    Ah. Muncie ain't THAT bad. I almost went to Ball State.

Just nothing to visit. Its nicer than Anderson or (gag) Marion, at least.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Aug 2006, 5:06 PM
  2. Road Trip 10/06/06.........
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Aug 2006, 4:59 PM
  3. Crazy Weekend Road Trips
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 09 Sep 2005, 11:50 PM