Urban planning community

Poll results: Which will be the deciding state?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Florida (27)

12 28.57%
  • Pennsylvania (21)

1 2.38%
  • Ohio (20)

18 42.86%
  • Michigan (17)

2 4.76%
  • Virginia (13)

0 0%
  • Minnesota (10)

0 0%
  • Wisconsin (10)

2 4.76%
  • Colorado (9)

2 4.76%
  • Iowa (7)

1 2.38%
  • New Mexico (5)

2 4.76%
  • Other: Specify

1 2.38%
  • New Hampshire (4)

1 2.38%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: And the most important state will be...

And the most important state will be...

Like Florida in 2000, which state will be the deciding state in the 2004 election?

My first choice is Ohio, but even New Mexico's 5 votes may be the deciding factor.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Nevada

You should have had Nevada or Hawaii instead of virginia
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Florida. Why? - because it has the most electoral votes, was most hotly contested last time and ultimately led to W's court appointment, and because both sides have been gearing up for the legal battle which will almost certainly follow the Republican run recount conducted in W's brother's basement.

I don't know....I guess I'm quite interested in hearing what the Floridians here have to say.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    New Hampshire is becoming "swing" too with all the MA immigrants making the state less Republican.

I live in the smallest state (in land area anyway) which always votes Democratic. My vote is about as unimportant as they come. With the presidential election getting all the attention, I've got to have a crash course in which city councilors and school committee people to vote for. I guess I shouldn't have thrown away all their junk mail.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    OMG, here we go again ---- wheee!

Although I wasn't living here during the last Presidential election, we can already see some sign of pending chaos in this year's election process. The absence of absentee ballot (no pun intended) are especially disturbing. The SOE office claims it mailed these ballots; however, many voters are saying they never received them (myself included). So the finger pointing continues: SOE is shifting the blame to the US Postal Service. Hmmm.

About 30% of registered voters here have already voted early. Having 2 extra weeks in which to vote could have a huge impact on the outcome. Plus, an additional voting site has been added that is more accessible to parts of the black community. I think that efforts to further tap into the minority vote could also have an impact.

Campaign volunteers from both parties are all over town, standing on street corners and encouraging honks and waves from passing supporters. Early voting lines are winding around the block at 7:00 a.m. A lot of energy here, for sure.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Being here and voting early here, I just have a feeling that it'll be Colorado. The state it seems is a politcal hotbed with not only a close Pers. election, but a close senatorial election that could give balance or swing the Senate to the Dems.
    I'll be here enjoying the ride if a hell breaks loose here.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2002
    results so far for 1 swing state
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vote.jpg  

Registered
    Jul 2002
    note: the last chart was for FLORIDA.
    In reviewing the info from cnn.com, it appears that Iowa has the closest numbers right now:

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    <www.electoral-vote.com>
    said it could come down to New Mexico.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The good guys have FL and PA in the bag. I think key states may come down to some off the wall usually Demcratic state, like HI

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    <www.electoral-vote.com>
    said it could come down to New Mexico.
    Probably won't involve any scandal there. In Dona Ana County, at least, electronic voting machines with a paper trail are used.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    The fix is in in Flordia. It'll go to Bush by an uncontestable but not overly suspicious margin.

Pennsylvania will go to Kerry.

Ohio will decide who the next president is.

Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    New Hampshire is becoming "swing" too with all the MA immigrants making the state less Republican.

I live in the smallest state (in land area anyway) which always votes Democratic. My vote is about as unimportant as they come. With the presidential election getting all the attention, I've got to have a crash course in which city councilors and school committee people to vote for. I guess I shouldn't have thrown away all their junk mail.
    Yeah, I meant to put New Hampshire on there, but when I copied down the data to add to the poll, I forgot to copy New Hampshire.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Sadly, I believe it's 2000 all over again... I just hope people learn from their errors... JMHO.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm guessing Ohio will be the state to watch... but eyes will probably be on Florida because of Jeb and the 2002 scandal.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I would not be surprised one bit if several states end up with recounts.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think the clear trend is in Kerry's favor. He'll win OH, FL, PA and most of the Great Lakes states. This should give him 300 electoral votes. NM and NV will go Bush. We will know tomorrow night. I don't think there will be recounts because the margin (either way even if Bush as a good night) will lean decisively in one candidate's favor.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat
    Yeah, I meant to put New Hampshire on there, but when I copied down the data to add to the poll, I forgot to copy New Hampshire.
    NH added.....and voted for.....it could be that close.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Toledo, OH will decide the future of the world via casting the ballots that push President Bush or Challenger Kerry into the victory seat.

Ohio is the key state. Toledo is the key focus area for both candidates because Bush has central and southeastern OH locked while Kerry has all of the northeastern portion of the (ugh) Buckeye State locked.....except a number of ring suburbs of Cleveland.

Toledo hasn't been decided so all the candidates, their wives, their step-sons, their daughters, their gardeners second-counsins, etc. have been stumping in T-Town for the last couple weeks.

Cheney was in near-by Wauseon two (2) weeks ago and in Swanton the other day. Kerry was in downtown Toledo last week. The next day Bush was in downtown Toledo. Kerry is due back late tonight, on the eve of the election, at 11:00 PM.

The candidates know that how Toledo goes will throw Ohio in that direction. And the national key is Ohio.

BTW.....all this talk of polling place problems reminds me of 3rd-world countries. You really do grow up to be what you hate.

Chad Removal Expert Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    But you are all overlooking the fact that Dubya will win NJ, NM, and HI, not to mention PA. You're placing too much emphasis on the Mid West.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are so many differnet scenarios that I can't wait to see Chris Mathews talking so rapidly and incoherently that his head exploides. I think Ohio will be the determining factor. One thing is for certain, W will win big in UT. I think I will try the vote swap thing.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Another State

I don't know about the most important state, but I think the most populous state will be the State of Confusion.

What with 24-7 non-stop multi-media coverage of counts, recounts, injunctions, court orders, appeals, punditry, over-analysis, and verbal diarreha, anyone following things will have their head spinning.

My hope, a 269-269 EC tie sending the decision into the House and Senate. Anyone expecting Bush to LOSE Texas? Anyone expecting a Bush - Edwards Administration? Both could happen.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Another state I should have included is Hawaii. It's been turning redder and with its 11PM EST poll closing time, it may just put one of the candidates over the top when the rest of the country has been decided.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    NBC News tonight said there are over 20 scenarios (I forget the # they quoted) that result in an electoral college tie. In the event the House decides, there is a scenario for a tie there too. In which case, Edwards becomes the next President for 2 years until his term as House majority leader expires.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sure, FL may be #1 in stupid stories posted on Cyburbia; but now we're IMPORTANT!

Will we be a swing state? I don't know. People here are pretty evenly divided. All I can say is I'm not looking forward to the wait at the polls tomorrow.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 6:58 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 11:26 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2010, 3:43 PM
  5. Replies: 4