Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: U.S. News Ratings?

  1. #1
         
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3

    U.S. News Ratings?

    Hello,

    I'm wondering if anyone has the 2005 U.S. New & World Reports that lists rankings of Urban Planning programs (or something very similiar...I forget their exact term). What I'm wanting to know is, what number is the University of Illinois at Chicago? I know that it is in the top ten, but that's about all I know. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally posted by jthompso
    Hello,

    I'm wondering if anyone has the 2005 U.S. New & World Reports that lists rankings of Urban Planning programs (or something very similiar...I forget their exact term). What I'm wanting to know is, what number is the University of Illinois at Chicago? I know that it is in the top ten, but that's about all I know. Thanks for any help!
    Hi there-
    They do not actually rank "urban planning." Instead, the put city managment under public affairs. U of ILL is tied with UNC for 6th Place. Kansas, Cleveland State, and USC are the top 3.

    You probably are, but I would research much further than that list -- lots of great programs fail to make the list because of how they group schools -- and well, cuz it is US News and World Report, not exactly the best source in the world. I used it, but only for ideas -- again lots of schools are not even in there.

  3. #3
         
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3
    Oh thank you.

    I know that U.S. New & World Report isn't the greatest. I just wanted to know because since I currently live in Chicago and am hoping to go to school in Chicago, some people (who aren't familiar with the Urban Planning) assume I must be "settling" because I want to stay in this location. I was just looking for some way to show that it's a good program, not just the closest to me.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally posted by jthompso
    Oh thank you.

    I know that U.S. New & World Report isn't the greatest. I just wanted to know because since I currently live in Chicago and am hoping to go to school in Chicago, some people (who aren't familiar with the Urban Planning) assume I must be "settling" because I want to stay in this location. I was just looking for some way to show that it's a good program, not just the closest to me.
    Looks like a fine program to me.

  5. #5
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,500
    Quote Originally posted by jthompso
    Oh thank you.

    I know that U.S. New & World Report isn't the greatest. I just wanted to know because since I currently live in Chicago and am hoping to go to school in Chicago, some people (who aren't familiar with the Urban Planning) assume I must be "settling" because I want to stay in this location. I was just looking for some way to show that it's a good program, not just the closest to me.
    Seriously, tell those people to eat it. People were critical of me because I chose Texas State over several other schools even though it was only about 45 minutes from my home. For some reason a lot of people think you have to go far away to get a good education, which I have never understood.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Capital District, Albany, New York
    Posts
    74
    Is this issue the current one (out on the stands right now)?

  7. #7
         
    Registered
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally posted by RSW
    Is this issue the current one (out on the stands right now)?
    Yes, apparently it came out in July 2004.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Seriously, tell those people to eat it. People were critical of me because I chose Texas State over several other schools even though it was only about 45 minutes from my home. For some reason a lot of people think you have to go far away to get a good education, which I have never understood.
    I agree. Many schools may not have the "name" -- or have "state" attached to their name -- so people automatically discard them as legitimate programs. Unfortunate. Or maybe that is a good thing in some ways.

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Lots of random thoughts (not meant to offend but not necessarily PC either):

    They don't know anything about urban planning but are willing to suggest that a program they know nothing about is inferior. And they think their logic is superior to yours????

    You live in Chicago, not Podunk Nowheresville. So what if it isn't THE NUMBER ONE SCHOOL? It also certainly isn't the bottom of the barrel.

    "Settling" -- it is your life and where you live has a big impact on quality of life. Tell them you are not willing to settle for gutting your entire life in order to place an inordinate amount of value on ONE factor of it. An education alone is not a formula for success -- it is one piece of the puzzle.

    Because there is some truth to the fact that it takes hard work and sacrifice to succeed, some folks take that idea to an extreme and figure that the degree to which you sacrifice correlates to the degree of benefit. This is false logic. There comes a point past which the amount of suffering is merely masochistic and does not get you comparable value in return. Turning down a perfectly good local university merely because it seems "too easy" to attend falls in the category of "making things harder than they have to be". Only a fool tries to make things harder than they have to be.

  10. #10
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,944
    RoccoPendola,

    How did you find that statistic? I am looking on their page and not finding anything. Did you purchase the book? And is that for the school's undergrad or graduate programs? Or do they put them together. I am not familiar with the book.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:06 PM
  2. The Ratings Game
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 30 Dec 2008, 10:06 AM
  3. How important are approval ratings?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 3:45 PM
  4. Occupency ratings in malls
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 May 2005, 11:09 PM
  5. Replies: 29
    Last post: 19 Nov 2004, 11:15 AM