Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Going back to school

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Going back to school

Well, after two and a half years working in the real world, I am going back to school to get my Masters.

Does anyone have any advice that they are willing to share? This time I am going to a much larger University, and only taking night classes. I do feel that it is a good move to go now, before I get older and feel out of place.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Well, after two and a half years working in the real world, I am going back to school to get my Masters.

Does anyone have any advice that they are willing to share? This time I am going to a much larger University, and only taking night classes. I do feel that it is a good move to go now, before I get older and feel out of place.
    Unfortunately, I don't know that I have any great advice... This is just a message of camaraderie as I just made the same decision: after five years in the real world, I am now going to a University part-time in the evenings for my Master's while continuing to work. For me, after feeling very burned-out by a lack of discussion over substantive ideas in my day-to-day work, I now feel very energized and invigorated, intellectually and even emotionally. For me, going back to school has just been so fun and rewarding already (and I'm only 12 credits into the necessary 48). I would recommend it to anyone!

I will say that balancing everything has been very tough. (I might mention that I also now have a one-month old daughter.) I sometimes wish I had the money to go to school full-time and give that 100% of my mental energy. I've just had to get better at multi-tasking (I've always hated that term) and it has helped to concentrate on how much I am enjoying myself and bettering myself.

Also, it is good to be young when you do this. Things somehow seem to get tougher as the years wear on, and also as you mention it is a little harder to fit in socially. I am probably at the cusp of being young enough to be somewhat accepted by recent college grads but it would have been easier to feel a part of things a few years back. Happily, my school happens to cater to working professionals so I am not alone - a decent percentage of folks are older and some of those are also part-time.

Anyway, good luck! Sorry I don't have much practical advice.

I think you made the right decision!

Rob

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It's a good move for you.

You're single, so you don't have family responsibilities at home (this is just an assumption). Also, you can enjoy the scenery (if you know what I mean )!

You're still pretty young, so all the stuff in your brain from undergrad that didn't get covered in bong resin is fresh.

Be careful selecting your classes, especially the first semester. Don't take too many hours until you are sure how much you can handle in addition to your job responsibilities. Also, ask around about class difficulty; there are some classes that you do not want to take together as a part-time student. For example, I accidently took the two hardest classes in my MPA program last semester, public finance and problems in public law, and was stressed-out beyond belief. Also, find someone in the program in a similar situation to be friends with and follow each other through the program--that way ya'll can help each other out and maybe split costs on textbooks, etc.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Good Luck....

Having done what you are about to do, with wife, two kids and job......my only advice is:

1. Be patient and don't try to bite off more than you can chew.....
    2. Remember there are summer night courses (I hope) that you can take to spread out the semester hours taken over the year....
    3. 6 sem. hours while working is full time and don't let anyone tell you it isn't.....
    4. With two years behind you, you'll appreciate school more and be able to ask the "right" questions.....ask away....and always sit in the front of the class

Enjoy it........as my grandfather always said....You'll have the rest of your life to work......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2002

Good move. Are you going to WMU?

I don't have any advice on how to handle the full-time job and part-time school thing; I did the exact opposite. But I would say that you're better off doing this now than later, when work, family, etc. can get in the way.

Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Does anyone have any advice that they are willing to share?
    Yeah, watch "Back to School" to see how it is done"

Congrats and good luck.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    Good move. Are you going to WMU?
    <sinp>
    Good luck!
    Yes, I figured it is a 10 minute drive, and work pays for part of it, so why not!

Thanks for the luck...

I am taking 10 ceditis right now, and in the summer I am thinking about taking 3 for each of the two summer sessions. That way I might be able to graduate in May of 2006.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Yes, I figured it is a 10 minute drive, and work pays for part of it, so why not!

Thanks for the luck...

I am taking 10 ceditis right now, and in the summer I am thinking about taking 3 for each of the two summer sessions. That way I might be able to graduate in May of 2006.
    This is similar to what I'm doing as well, however, I'm going to back to finish my undergrad degree instead of a master's

I'm going to try to take about 9 hours during the long semesters then 3 hours in each summer session. I have about 55 hours left to finish so it will still take awhile. Hope to be in graduate school after that. Work pays for about $1200 per year, which isn't much, but it helps a LOT!

Good luck with your studies and I think you've made a great decision

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Yeah, watch "Back to School" to see how it is done"

Congrats and good luck.
    Old School is also a good interpretation on going back to school !

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good move! College is a great place to pick up women. Oh yeah, you might get an edjikashun too.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

It's good you are doing this now. Some people always regret not going back. It gets harder and harder each year.

My advice is READ. Try and read everything they give you and keep all the books.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Grownsup

My advice is READ. Try and read everything they give you and keep all the books.
    Awesome advice!! Seconded!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Dec 2008, 7:39 PM
  2. back to school
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Nov 2006, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last post: 01 Dec 2005, 9:53 PM
  4. Back to School