Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How to take/beat a cognitive test?

Registered
    Jul 2002

How to take/beat a cognitive test?

Okay,

So these cognitive test thingys ask questions about your personality and how you handle things and how you acquire and process knowledge.

Have any of you ever taken one of these? Are there any website you know of that give you suggestions on how to take them? I did a yahoo search and didn't find much.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    What kind of test is it? How is it scored? What is the format (multiple choice, short essay, etc)?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    What kind of test is it?
    A cognitive test

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    How is it scored? What is the format (multiple choice, short essay, etc)?
    I don't know. I know someone who has a interview coming up and the company told them that they would have to take a cognitive test at the interview. Not knowing what that was or is I told them I would look into it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    There are lots of things you can do to improve your performance on a test.

Find out how it is scored. If you get points for right answers but do not lose points for wrong answers, answer everything to the best of your ability. If you do lose points for wrong answers, be more selective about what you answer and make sure you have a high level of confidence that you are on the mark with the answers you give.

Multiple choice tests also get called 'multi-guess' in some circles (like by sarcastic folks like me who have limited respect for such tests). Again, if you do not get points taken away for wrong answers, you should answer every question: you have a 25% chance of being right just by checking something off and a 100% chance of being wrong if you leave it unanswered. Those odds rise if you can eliminate some of the answers. Most multiple choice questions will have one blatantly wrong answer, one answer that is fairly obviously wrong if you know anything about the subject, and then you are left with two strong contenders. If you can logically eliminate one possible answer and you are choosing between 3 possible answers, your odds rise to 33%. If you can narrow it down to two possibilities, you have just given yourself 50-50 odds.

There are other things you can do to improve test scores. Let me think about it and get back to you.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'm sure MZ is going to disagree, but I don't think you need to do any research or preparation... it's not like an exam that tests your knowledge, it's supposed to tap into the way you think about problem solving etc. If it's in relation to a new job, I wouldn't want to try and out-think the test, because it is being used to assess your suitability for the role. Don't try to be clever - it's not about getting a high score. The best thing you can do to prepare is.... relax!

(We studied these kinds of tests when I did Psychology).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had some learnin' on this a long long time ago, and I think JNL is correct. There are no right or wrong answers, just an assessment of your thought processes and critical thinking abilities

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    I'm sure MZ is going to disagree
    Nope. I am going to confess to having misread the question.

More proof that, contrary to popular opinion, I don't think "I am always RIGHT" (besides, I didn't buy that t-shirt ..my husband bought me that t-shirt as a means to apologize for all the years of stupid arguments where HE wouldn't back down and admit to being wrong )

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Well I know more about his cognitive test. It was similar to an ACT or an SAT.

There were 50 questions and you were to answere as many as you could in 12 minutes.

An example of the questions were.

"There are 9 words scrambled below. Rearrange the works to make a positive sentence and place the first letter of the last word in the blank."

"There are 5 shapes below which one does not belong."

There were math problems,
    Story questions,
    and word definations (do these two words have similar meanings, contradictroy meanings or neither).

Now having taken one I guess I know there is no way to study for something. like this. In college I did take a Philophsy class and one of our workbooks was a LSAT prep book. I think this might have helped some.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Special Testing

I was subjected to a personality test at my previous workplace....the test showed the employer if you were an introvert or extrovert (analytical, expressive, reserved, outgoing....) Our team reviewed the findings together and found out what we really already knew about each others personalities.....I found this voluntary test to be informative and useful....

There was one other test that bugged me....it had repeating question types designed I think to see how consistent we were with our responses.....weird......only because they were not open with what it meant.
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Mental or cognitive mapping
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Nov 2006, 9:46 PM
  2. Can I beat Jon Stewart?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Jun 2006, 11:27 AM