Urban planning community

Poll results: What geeky hobbies do you participate in? (multiple choice)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comic books

4 11.11%
  • Role playing games

6 16.67%
  • Scrapbooking

4 11.11%
  • Star Wars

4 11.11%
  • Vampirism

3 8.33%
  • Collectible card games

1 2.78%
  • Everquest (or another MORPG)

2 5.56%
  • Star Trek

3 8.33%
  • Furries/plushies

0 0%
  • Live action role playing (Lightning bolt! Sleep! Death!)

1 2.78%
  • Other (I'll explain)

6 16.67%
  • None of the above

15 41.67%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dorkstorm - top 10 geekiest hobbies

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Dorkstorm - top 10 geekiest hobbies

Dorkstorm: The Annihilation

We’ve contacted renowned experts on geeks, as well as many actual geeks, to compile this list of the dorkiest things you can do with your time. Each activity will be ranked on both how badly it humiliates the participant and how negatively it affects his or her sex life. These are not rough estimates. These are scientific facts based on the research done by captive supergeniuses working in controlled conditions with test mice and test mice dressed like tiny wizards.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2000
    What? Scrapbooking is Dorky?

Registered
    Mar 2004

I have...

the original first edition Darth Vader from the collectible card game.....
    also enterprise from TNG card game....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    What? Scrapbooking is Dorky?
    From the article:

8. Scrapbooking
    Public Humiliation: 86.2%
    Most people tend to avoid scrapbookers in an effort to prevent their photo from being pasted between a floral border along with a word bubble shouting, “Are we having fun yet!” Scrapbookers have an insatiable hunger to date and catalogue precious moments, and many fear that these keepsakes are being collected to one day be used in an evil plan to flood the world with vomit.

[snip]
    This of it this way ... you're a bit less dorky than these folks.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Not sure if this is really a "hobby," but I collect key chains. I have them from all over the world.

Displaying them is another thing. I'm thinking I may try to glue little magnets to the back and use them as "fridge art!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Good to see that model railroader isn't considered "dorky"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had none of the above. I guess I'm not a geek after all.
    I do play Flight Simulator on a regular basis. And most of my conversations with friends revolve around quoting movies...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I like cooking and gardening. But then again I also like to work on and rebuild cars, home improvement, and collecting power tools.

I can hang drywall like no-bodies business!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ugh Im such a geek (whimper and pushes her glasses back up her nose)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Hanging drywall ain't dorky. It's bordeline RUGGED!, and maybe crosses that line if you're using tools powered by internal combustion engines.

Model railroading, like ham radio, CB radio modding.freebanding/mudducking, scanning, rocketry and electronic kit building, is old-school Hugo Gernsback-style dorky. Which one of these guys are you?

What I want to know is ... are any Cyburbians furries? If so ... dear sweet Bob, why?

(Seriously, though, I dig model railroads.)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've read that architectural photography (with no people really in the shots) is pretty much the hobby of the socially repressed.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sorry boys, hanging drywall ain't RUGGED! It's easy! It's the taping/sanding that's hard to get right, but that's a finesse job, so that's not rugged either.

I know I'm a geek, but I don't do any of the things in that list. I know html, which I think is geeky. I also collect hockey cards (or used to), so that probably has some level of geekdom too. We were watching Star Wars the other day (Epilsode IV, which still feels weird to say), and I was able to name almost all the characters based upon the figurines I used to play with as a kid... no barbies for me (unless they were held hostage and tortured in the lava pit aka jacuzzi)... so I'm sure that classifies me as an A-1 geek.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Sorry boys, hanging drywall ain't RUGGED! It's easy! It's the taping/sanding that's hard to get right, but that's a finesse job, so that's not rugged either.
    I disagree with nerudite on this point.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am in the non-geeky, model railroading group. Milwaukee Road! Woo hoo!

I have a growing wine collection. Is that considered geeky? How about if I get out the table saw and build myself some wine racks?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal

I have a growing wine collection. Is that considered geeky? How about if I get out the table saw and build myself some wine racks?
    Having a wine collection I think would make you sophisticated. Now if you bust out the table saw and building a wine rack, you head into the realm of "RUGGED SOPHISTICATE"!

I collect hat pins from every place I've been for vacation/leisure since I was about five. Is that dorky? Also, I still periodically flip through my old baseball cards. 8-|

Once I have my own Casa I plan on building model railroads. I've been obcessed with trains since I was little, but was never able to build a model one because we didn't have the space anywhere to put it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I am in the non-geeky, model railroading group. Milwaukee Road! Woo hoo!
    Maybe one of the GEEKY model railroad fans here can explain their fascination with the Monon Railroad, Pennsylvania (the state, not just the former railroad), and the early 1950s (as reflected in the built environment of many model railroads).

Also, why is traction almost never represented in model railroads? If 1950s-era central Pennsylvania is the ideal for model railroaders, shouldn't there be streetcars and elderly interurbans represented? After all, they lived on there much longer than the rest of the United States.

Okay ... who's the one LARPer here?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    OK, I'm in the non-geeky category when it comes to the choices available. However, my husband does think that the needlework/crochet work I do counts as "un-normal" (his word) since that's for "old ladies".

I may not be able to hang drywall or paint walls worth a dang, but I can maintain a flower garden and pull weeds with the best! When we've finally made a down payment and have a house, I'm spending several weekends planning and putting in flower beds, dog paths and maybe an herb garden.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I voted "none of the above". I guess giving up comics and RPG's all those years ago means I am now non-dorky. I appreciate this news. I thought I was still a dork and I am relieved to know that I am, Officially, Not A Dork.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Maybe one of the GEEKY model railroad fans here can explain their fascination with the Monon Railroad, Pennsylvania (the state, not just the former railroad), and the early 1950s (as reflected in the built environment of many model railroads).

Also, why is traction almost never represented in model railroads? If 1950s-era central Pennsylvania is the ideal for model railroaders, shouldn't there be streetcars and elderly interurbans represented? After all, they lived on there much longer than the rest of the United States.

Okay ... who's the one LARPer here?

The 1950's were the transition point between the steam and deisel eras. By modeling that period, you can get away with using a wider selection of engines.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    However, my husband does think that the needlework/crochet work I do counts as "un-normal" (his word) since that's for "old ladies".

all my hobbies can't be geeky!

None of the above- i do play computer games, i'm playing Civilization III now .I was playing Ceasar a few weeks ago. I do collect bootleg Cd's, I have about 15 Rolling Stones concert bootleg tapes and a DVD of Jethro Tull(which i haven't watched yet). The Stones concert in Milan, Italy is the best.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I collect comic books and actually have a few pieces of original art from my favourites.

Dan and DOD can confirm that what I like to read is not your typical super hero fare. If you are interested in good story telling and good art here are a few to check out

Art Spiegleman - Maus - Pulitzer Prize winning story of the Holocaust and relationships.

Bob Fingerman - Minimum Wage - 20 something losers hanging out and falling in love. No longer in print, but you should be able to find teh compilations/

Terry Laban - CUD - As above

Dave Sim - Cerebus - 300 issue autobiography of a loner. No longer done, if it interests you check out the telephone books.

Adrian Tomine - teen angst and relationships.

Any of the Big Book Series (Losers, Urban Myths, Conspiracies)

Will Eisner - any, but especially Fagin the Jew, Contract With G*d and The Street
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan

Model railroading, like ham radio, CB radio modding.freebanding/mudducking, scanning, rocketry and electronic kit building, is old-school Hugo Gernsback-style dorky.
    (Seriously, though, I dig model railroads.)
    My ex-was obsessed with ham radios. He just kept buying more and more. Once he dragged me to a "convention" and it was geek central. My skin still crawls if I think of it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hum... Geeky/Dorky Hobbies.. no... nope... nada!
    Though I do a few frequent flights in Flight Simulator and have an addiction to Sim City... but those are not hobbies... just like Cyburbia, Coffee, etc they're addictions.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays
    Not sure if this is really a "hobby," but I collect key chains. I have them from all over the world.

Displaying them is another thing. I'm thinking I may try to glue little magnets to the back and use them as "fridge art!"
    If you are ever in northern Michigan, stop at the Keyhole Bar in Mackinaw City.

Bear By The Bridge
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 09 Apr 2014, 4:11 PM
  2. Dweeby/Nerdy Guys and Their Hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20