Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Coolest Hobbies

Registered
    Oct 2000

Top 10 Coolest Hobbies

The Dorkstorm thread got me thinking - yes, we can all pass judgment on Dungeons and Dragons Players, and giggle at the goths, but what are the hobbies that you think are cool? When you're talking to someone at a party, and they mention that they spent the weekend xyz-ing, and it immediately raises your estimation of that person?

A couple of mine

Music Afficionados - i never have any idea who the Mustard Nancies (not a real band, but you know what i mean) are, but i'm impressed when people are on the cutting edge of music - NOT the current favorite band in rotation on MTV.

Marathoners/Tri-atheletes/Cyclists - Just the dedication it takes to do a marathon or iron man/woman, road races - impresses me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have some friends who are into goth stuff. I don't giggle at them, in fact, I listen to what they say about their activities. I wish there were more goth people at parties, they tell interesting stories. Too bad we are shaming them here on Cybrbia.

But back on topic - Is any hobby cool?!

I happen to like birding. Don't snicker. I've had people do that to my face. That's my hobby. I used to have a website. I was a real active birder 4 years ago. I even went to Audobon meetings. Everyone there was at least twice my age - from late 50s to 101. No one young under age 45. But ever since grad school, getting a real job, and having a girlfriend, I don't have much time for it anymore. I miss it. When people ask me what my hobby is, I tell them birding. I have a scope and real cool binoculars. But I use them about once a year. Most people my age don't understand my obsession with birding. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't have a lifelist. In fact, I abhor lifelists. Once my life slows down in the next month or two, I am going to find out how I can volunteer for the Nature Conservancy. Hopefully I will be doing something neat in the spring of 2005 to help satisfy my hobby needs.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    I have some friends who are into goth stuff. I don't giggle at them, in fact, I listen to what they say about their activities. I wish there were more goth people at parties, they tell interesting stories. Too bad we are shaming them here on Cybrbia.

I happen to like birding. Don't snicker. I've had people do that to my face. That's my hobby. I used to have a website. I was a real active birder 4 years ago. I even went to Audobon meetings. Everyone there was at least twice my age - from late 50s to 101. No one young under age 45. But ever since grad school, getting a real job, and having a girlfriend, I don't have much time for it anymore. I miss it. When people ask me what my hobby is, I tell them birding. I have a scope and real cool binoculars. But I use them about once a year. Most people my age don't understand my obsession with birding. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't have a lifelist. In fact, I abhor lifelists. Once my life slows down in the next month or two, I am going to find out how I can volunteer for the Nature Conservancy. Hopefully I will be doing something neat in the spring of 2005 to help satisfy my hobby needs.
    I wouldn't snicker at birding - my parents are avid birders.

I will admit to eye rolling at goths (sorry, goths). To me they just scream "Pay attention to me!"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I enjoy working on street rods and old school muscle cars.

I like electronics projects for dummies.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    An interest in home brewing displays an interest in: mechanical ingenuity, aesthetics (appreciation for fine beer), history, and self sufficiency!

What does collecting any given object as a hobby say about someone?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I think 'cool' hobbies in my mind are those that are creative or artistic. I have many friends that are musicians, painters, photographers and glass-blowers, most of them on a hobby basis. I would like to try my hand at glass blowing as well, and if I ever get my evenings back from night meeting hell, maybe I'll take some courses.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I would have to say that I am generally more impressed with artistic and creative hobbies, where people PRODUCE something, than collecting hobbies, UNLESS there is an educational component to the collection - as in vinyl record collecting is cooler than beanie baby collecting. Book collecting is cooler than Disney Statues collecting.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    My personal hobbies are rowing and cycling. I also just started training for a marathon. Like michaelskis, I enjoy fixing and souping up cars. If I had the financial resources and the time, I would get into offroading. I also like cooking and baking, and I have brewed my own beer.

I think all forms of motorsports are pretty cool.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I collect records. Depending upon what it is, I'll record the record onto CD.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, I already mentioned one of my hobbies: architectural photography. I dismiss it, but people like them enough to allow me to line an entire hallway at work with various prints. On a related note, my other hobby is lengthy walks.city hikes (leading sometimes to photographs!). I sometimes am into bicycling-and should be more. I've just been doing the photography thing recently.

I also collect TOO MANY things Mostly Southwestern Pueblo pottery, some other pottery, glass, and folk art. My garage has a huge hanging wooden Indonesian dragon (Bali) for example. EDIT: Also-Architecture Books

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown

Marathoners/Tri-atheletes/Cyclists - Just the dedication it takes to do a marathon or iron man/woman, road races - impresses me.
    You are making me blush.

On bike racing, it is actually pretty easy to race, but hard to do well at it. I did a 100 mile ride this spring with less than 50 miles on my legs and did OK. The big thing is to know you can do it and just pedal.

My other hobby is photography. It is a borderline geek/neat one.

I'm with nerudite on the glass blowing, I have a number for lessons and might take the weekend seminar this winter. $400 for 2.5 days and you get 5-8 pieces from it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I'm with nerudite on the glass blowing, I have a number for lessons ....
    If you ever visit southward, say West Virginia, a must see is Blenko Glass Co.
    http://www.blenkoglass.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    My co-worker said he found a photo of me from four years ago, when I rode the infamous California Death Ride (140 miles, 16,000 vertical feet-at altitude). I was much thinner and fanatical, then. Now, I am just pathetic

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    This guy near me does some really nice stuff. Not shown are some fantastic, elegant cane (striped) pattern glassware. http://www.lindsayartglass.com/

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I always thought scuba-diving was a cool hobby. And surfing.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Everyone knows that the coolest hobby ever is playing fantasy football (especially on 'burbia against other planners)......

Just check out the ff sub-forum to be immediately impressed!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My main hobby is designing cities, ala Amish Sim. Probably a hobby that wouldn't interest the readers of these threads.

De Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    I think this qualifies as pure geek, I actually sat through a PBS telethon and almost donated when they did a piece on blenko just to get some.

I only hope that once day I can afford a piece of it or the crazy 1 eyed guy or the guy that makes the multilayered globes.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    I think this qualifies as pure geek, I actually sat through a PBS telethon and almost donated when they did a piece on blenko just to get some.

I only hope that once day I can afford a piece of it or the crazy 1 eyed guy or the guy that makes the multilayered globes.
    or Paul Harrie, Robert Held, too many to name. Art glass is cool and too expensive, but I love it.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Art glass is cool and too expensive, but I love it.
    Another great glass gallery in SF is hosting a show of new pieces by a Japanese artist that is pretty amazing, if avante garde. His newest work looks likes craggy lava flows of glass. Well over $1,000 for his smaller pieces.

http://octavia.leftcoastart.com/html/current_event.php

Coolest hobbies

- Restoring cars and motorcycles (I wish I had the mechanical skills to do that)
    - Woodworking - Every time I try it it looks kind of half-assed but I have a friend who does stuff that would command big bucks in a furniture store.
    - Homebrewing - how many hobbies can get you drunk?
    - Music obsession

I am partial to homebrewing and music because they are my only real hobbies...unless being a computer nerd is a hobby.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Does traveling to ride scenic railroads count ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Another great glass gallery in SF is hosting a show of new pieces by a Japanese artist that is pretty amazing, if avante garde. His newest work looks likes craggy lava flows of glass. Well over $1,000 for his smaller pieces.

http://octavia.leftcoastart.com/html/current_event.php
    A friend of mine has (or had maybe) a shop in Alameda called Atomic Glass. His name is Richard Ross... maybe you'll cross paths some day!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Birds are cool.....

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?

FYI:
    I visited an island off the northeastern tip of Quintana Roo last year (Isla Contoy). By the name of the place you probably get the idea that there were a lot of birds....there were. Next time your in Cancun, take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres, then take a trip by boat to Isla Contoy for a day trip. This is a great little island with thousands of birds and large iguana and crab. The stingray enjoy the company of people swimming. Flamingo
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 09 Apr 2014, 4:11 PM
  2. Dweeby/Nerdy Guys and Their Hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 16 Aug 2006, 6:41 PM