Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Section 8

Registered
    Feb 2003

Section 8

Can anybody help me out with a short blurb about how Section 8 rental works?

Thanks

Registered
    Feb 1998
    A lower income family applies for federal housing assistance. A landlord agrees to put her rental unit under the Federal Section 8 program. The tenant rents the unit, and pays 30% of their household income to the landlord. HUD sends a check for the other 70% to the landlord.

HUD allocates a number of certificates to the community. The local office inspects the available units for 'Housing Quality Standards', and screens the potential applicants for income eligibility. The offered rent must be the 'Fair Market Rent' proscribed for the community by HUD.

The landlord benefits by having guaranteed rent payments, and filling units when the market might be soft. The tenant family is guaranteed a safe, decent and sanitary home.

There are a couple of thousand more pages about the program.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Thank you.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Slight clarification...

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    The tenant rents the unit, and pays 30% of their household income to the landlord. HUD sends a check for the other 70% to the landlord.
    I believe HUD makes up the difference between the amount the family can "afford" (30% of income) and the "fair market rent" defined by HUD for the area, based on the unit's number of bedrooms.

It's a minor point, I know, but just in case you were going to use it in your class...

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sleeepy....

Read all of the Section 8 info at the hud website if your having a problem sleeping.....the program is a good one that could use some fine tuning....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Belle
    I believe HUD makes up the difference between the amount the family can "afford" (30% of income) and the "fair market rent" defined by HUD for the area, based on the unit's number of bedrooms.

It's a minor point, I know, but just in case you were going to use it in your class...
    Yeah, if they paid 70% of the tenant's income, I think I'd have to become a slumlord....

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Hey dudes, it was after midnight. It made sense this morning. Thanks for catching the error. The landlord would often lose money if she only received 100% of the household income for rent.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Hey dudes, it was after midnight. It made sense this morning. Thanks for catching the error. The landlord would often lose money if she only received 100% of the household income for rent.

I understood what you meant. Thanks, mike gurnee & Belle...I was using it for the class.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Multiple CWA Section 404 permits
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 2:39 PM
  2. RFP section?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 1:35 PM
  3. Section 8 and concentration of poverty
    Economic and Community Development