Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Section 8

  1. #1
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847

    Section 8

    Can anybody help me out with a short blurb about how Section 8 rental works?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    2,954
    A lower income family applies for federal housing assistance. A landlord agrees to put her rental unit under the Federal Section 8 program. The tenant rents the unit, and pays 30% of their household income to the landlord. HUD sends a check for the other 70% to the landlord.

    HUD allocates a number of certificates to the community. The local office inspects the available units for 'Housing Quality Standards', and screens the potential applicants for income eligibility. The offered rent must be the 'Fair Market Rent' proscribed for the community by HUD.

    The landlord benefits by having guaranteed rent payments, and filling units when the market might be soft. The tenant family is guaranteed a safe, decent and sanitary home.

    There are a couple of thousand more pages about the program.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    Thank you.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Belle's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    141

    Slight clarification...

    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    The tenant rents the unit, and pays 30% of their household income to the landlord. HUD sends a check for the other 70% to the landlord.
    I believe HUD makes up the difference between the amount the family can "afford" (30% of income) and the "fair market rent" defined by HUD for the area, based on the unit's number of bedrooms.

    It's a minor point, I know, but just in case you were going to use it in your class...

  5. #5
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,248

    Sleeepy....

    Read all of the Section 8 info at the hud website if your having a problem sleeping.....the program is a good one that could use some fine tuning....
    Skilled Adoxographer

  6. #6
          roger's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2004
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally posted by Belle
    I believe HUD makes up the difference between the amount the family can "afford" (30% of income) and the "fair market rent" defined by HUD for the area, based on the unit's number of bedrooms.

    It's a minor point, I know, but just in case you were going to use it in your class...
    Yeah, if they paid 70% of the tenant's income, I think I'd have to become a slumlord....

  7. #7
    Cyburbian mike gurnee's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 1998
    Location
    Greensburg, Kansas
    Posts
    2,954
    Hey dudes, it was after midnight. It made sense this morning. Thanks for catching the error. The landlord would often lose money if she only received 100% of the household income for rent.

  8. #8
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Hey dudes, it was after midnight. It made sense this morning. Thanks for catching the error. The landlord would often lose money if she only received 100% of the household income for rent.

    I understood what you meant. Thanks, mike gurnee & Belle...I was using it for the class.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Multiple CWA Section 404 permits
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Aug 2012, 2:39 PM
  2. RFP section?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 1:35 PM
  3. Section 8 and concentration of poverty
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 May 2008, 8:40 PM
  4. Section 8 and GIS
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Sep 2002, 5:35 PM