Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fun with voting in Ohio

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Fun with voting in Ohio

I'm expecting things to be quite crowded at the polling station for my precinct. It's also a "swing neighborhood," with Bush and Kerry signs battling it out in the otherwise progressive eastern suburbs of Cleveland, so I expect an assortment of poll-watchers and obvservers that normally wouldn't otherwise be there.

The polls open at 6:30 AM. I may be waking up at 5:00 to get in line and vote.

What are your plans?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Getting up at the normal time and stopping on the way to the office. Be a bit late for work. By the end of Thursday I usually have a 50 hour week in, so I'm not worried about the lost time.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'll take my "voting" hour at lunch and wait as long as it takes. I'm sure the polls will be overwhelmed in the morning, and I have to get my son off to school, etc., and he has soccer practice that evening.

Registered
    May 2003
    I have school that day so I don't work. I figure I'll get up at 6:30 (my usual time) and saunter on down to the polling place to vote for the machine again around 7:15 or so. I don't have to be at class until 11:00.

I like to vote late so that I can determine the strength of the turnout.

Off-topic:
    Yesterday, my seven year old announced that the school he attends will be having elections for President. *They won't count for real, daddy I'm going to vote for John Kerry, just like you.* It's remarkable what kids process
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    They open at 8am here, and I will be standing in line at the poles when they open. I took the day off because at 12:30 they will start the surgery. I will be heavily medicated for the rest of the day, and part of the next day, so I may not realize that Bush won till sometime on Thursday... But then again, it may be several weeks after Kerry stops complaining and gives up on all the recounts.

*I expect Bush to win the electoral, and Kerry to get the popular!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    *I expect Bush to win the electoral, and Kerry to get the popular!
    Doesn't that you just make you sick. The electoral college is so asinine and needs to go. I understand it was useful to protect small states before we had mass media markets, but now it looks like a giant sham. We are trying to be a beacon of democracy for the whole world and yet, "one person, one vote" doesn't even apply here. People in CA, TX, NY, IL, VA, SD, etc.... what do the candidates say to you? They don't because your electoral votes are already decided. That's so ridiculous.

While I enjoyed seeing Kerry yesterrday with Springteen and 80,000 of my fellow cititzens, I think the rest of the nation deserves to be addressed, too.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

How about....

Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    Doesn't that you just make you sick. The electoral college is so asinine and needs to go. I understand it was useful to protect small states before we had mass media markets, but now it looks like a giant sham. We are trying to be a beacon of democracy for the whole world and yet, "one person, one vote" doesn't even apply here. People in CA, TX, NY, IL, VA, SD, etc.... what do the candidates say to you? They don't because your electoral votes are already decided. That's so ridiculous.

While I enjoyed seeing Kerry yesterrday with Springteen and 80,000 of my fellow cititzens, I think the rest of the nation deserves to be addressed, too.
    Voting by congressional district and electoral votes are split within states....popular vote w/in electoral districts. This way, electoral votes are distributed based on the individual results within each district. Problem is....these districts are drawn to reflect whatever party is in power at the beginning of each decade....also I'd be currious to know if there were more congressional districts won by gore in 2000 than Bush using the popular vote.....?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2003
    Yeah, voting by congressional district works, or voting by state. The main problem is the two electoral vote bonus. That's what makes a vote in Montana worth six votes in California. The number of electoral votes a state gets should be equal to its number of representitives in congress, not number of reps + number of senators.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I won't have to worry about Democratic or Republican Gestapofolk checking my credentials. I'm voting tonight, Absentee-Ballot.

Bear In The John Wilkes
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2003

If any a-hole has the nerve to stand 6 ft. away from me and challenge my right to vote (after I've already shown ID to the poll worker) i'll probably be leaving the polling station in cuffs. In fact, if i see this happening to anyone else i'll probably find myself behind plexi-glass as well.

If there's anything i'd consider the death penalty for it is for interfering with a person's right to vote. I can't think of a more disgusting, dishonorable, and un-american act.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Even though I cannot almost see the Capitol from the roof of my townhouse, my state wasn't much contested, so I didn't get to experience the Presidential race much first hand. At least I can take small pleasures in that! I think that Ohio residents would agree that some system that would make every vote in New York and Alabama matter as much as Ohio or Florida would be a change for the better...Still, I will be at the polls early...the congressional elections in Virginia's 8th might be closer than they should be due to the controversial behavior of our longtime Democratic incumbent. So you are seeing Bush signs in the eastside suburbs of Cleveland? Wish I were back in Ohio to vote. I must be an oddity in actually wishing (sometimes) to go back there permanently.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Early Voting - Have you ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 06 Nov 2012, 10:30 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Jan 2010, 11:38 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Jun 2006, 10:59 AM
  4. Practice voting
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Oct 2004, 10:46 AM
  5. On the subject of communities and voting....
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 6:49 PM