Registered
    Aug 2001

Concepts for the World Trade Center

Six concepts for redeveloping the World Trade Center have been posted at

http://www.renewnyc.com/plan/concepts.htm

Preferences? Thoughts?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Their web site is so cloged with activity I couldnt get in, but I managed to view the 6 plans on CNN.com

Details are sketchy at this point. I predict this will be the greatest public participation exercise in US history (if it hasn't been already).

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm split between the Promenade and the Plaza, but I voted Plaza. 36% on cnn.com have gone with the Promenade.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here's my concept.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hasn't that been done before?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Hasn't that been done before?
    Yeah, you're right.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    to quote my favo[u]rite band from the north...

woo hoo hoo...it's all be done!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Aug 2001
    besides...i prefer
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I vote for a memorial observation deck, on the 200th floor, right next to the anti-aircraft guns...

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    besides...i prefer
    Agreed

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I couldn't get into the site either, but viewed it at CNN.com

I like the plaza the best because it has a lot of open space and preserves for footprints of the two buildings.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Build a nice plaza... with gallows.

For when we catch the bastard.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    how about gallows at the 200th floor observation deck and let 'em hang all the way up there?

but i did like the garden and the promenade (mostly b/c of the restored streets...but i don't know what i think of the quadrangle style footbrints of the WTC...look like targets)...but nothing was really too striking

the plaza design (and triangle somewhat less) reminds me of the empire state plaza in albany.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    the plaza design (and triangle somewhat less) reminds me of the empire state plaza in albany.
    Wow, that it a striking similarity!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't vote for any of the six. They are way too generic and boring... no creativity at all! I recognize these are only concepts and will be amended with the solicitation of public comment. I await for revisions... and for color renderings displaying humans and the scale of the project.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Of the six, I guess my choice would be the square, but I really have to agree with Beaner. None of them are all that appealing. Perhaps they should empanel a special committee of Cyburbanites to come up with designs.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Beaner and Michael - the New York Times agrees with you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/17/op...html?tntemail1

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I voted for #6 although I too was not that taken by any of the plans. I believe it is a real problem that the Port Authority insists on the same volume of office space as before 9-11. I'm just not sure that there will be a market for that much space. Even if there is, a greater diversity of building uses, including residential, inside the development site would do wonders for creating a 24/7 community.

Some specifics I like about #6:
    *Shorter office towers than the other plans (63 stories)
    *Doesn't overdo the memorial park size (If we decide not to build on every site where a heroic/memorable death occurred there are a lot more places we need to add to the list...)
    *West street tunnel
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    why the smaller tower? i'd like to see something that recalls the towers.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Seriously, I'm not a big fan of any of 'em, but if I was forced to choose, it would be the Memorial Promenade, #6. It seems to reconnect the site with the city's street grid better than the rest.

I'd really like to see a cutting-edge, Asian or European-style skyscraper go up on the site ... something that you might see in Hong Kong or Shanghai.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Perhaps Dan has pointed to why I do not like any of the plans. The WTC towers were a strikingly prominant feature on NYC's skyline. The new plans all seem to want to have a bunker mentality - hunker down, blend in, don't draw any attention. It is an admission of fear and a victory for the terrorists. We need something proud and significant to replace what was taken away.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It is an admission of fear and a victory for the terrorists. We need something proud and significant to replace what was taken away.
    Michael, I couldn't agree more - well put! I thought this piece in the New York Press summed it up nicely:

"Don MacLeod
    Towering Fiasco

The six proposals for rebuilding Ground Zero all have one thing in common: they are duller than downtown Duluth.

Maybe it was the fear of offending the grieving or maybe it was the rush to get something on the drawing board right away. No matter why. The six versions (Newsday's got images here) delivered to the public as "starting points" are tame concoctions that do nothing to solve a bigger problem than replacing lost office space. Not one of these designs gives New York back a landmark. (One of the designs even unimaginatively samples the distinctive design of San Francisco's Transamerica Bldg.)

In the earnest effort to replace rentable real estate and, fittingly, create a memorial, the architects ignored the most important design goal: The new complex must become a new symbol of New York. The Twin Towers, much maligned at their birth, became signature buildings with time, as utterly New Yorkish as the Eiffel Tower is Parisian or the Colosseum is Roman. After 9/11, all New Yorkers were startled to see how ordinary the skyline looked without the WTC. The towers were always the first things you'd see coming back to the city from the airport or from a road trip, signifying home. Without the towers, it is hard, from a distance, to distinguish downtown Manhattan from any other middling prosperous American city.

The very first order of architectural business should have been to make a memorable addition to the skyline. It needs to be something dazzling. These lukewarm proposals miss the mark. They don't improve the skyline, they clutter it. These blueprints plod along. The models look the headquarters for a credit card company in Wilmington, DE, instead of the grand renaissance they should suggest. This project must be a classic of urban design, as memorable and unique as the Empire State Bldg., the Brooklyn Bridge, Chrysler or Rockefeller Center. New York deserves it.

In the immediate aftermath of 9/11, there was plenty of talk of New York "coming back" and showing the world that as a city we would not be kept down. What we need more than umpteen square feet of office space is a symbol of a defiant and unstoppable New York. Stirring sentiments, certainly, and now it's literally put-up time. However horrific the circumstances were that created the opportunity to remake downtown, we have a chance to make a bold and brilliant statement, and for architects to reach for an audacious and exhilarating expression of New York soul. What we don't need is realty. What we really need is poetry. "

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I don't think that "memorable" is what is needed. I believe livable and usable are better goals. Let he who proclaims a memorable building is what is needed be the first to sign a lease for the top ten floors of the structure...
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If I could afford it and had a need for it...I'd be there tomorrow.

Lightning doesn't strike twice.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Any other site, rendered, er, "vacant" by any other means, Runner, and I might agree. But in this case, I believe that memorable is much more important than livable, and as for usable, well I think memorability is utility.

We'll just have to respectfully disagree on this one, I suppose - or perhaps I've misunderstood your meaning?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 7:58 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2002, 2:10 PM
  3. World Trade Center
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Sep 2001, 4:56 PM
  4. Replies: 3