+ Reply to thread

Thread: Time Change - Fall Back

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Time Change - Fall Back

AIB Gedunker

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    So, to all of Cyburbia from the civilized world (ahem other Hoosiers and those from Arizona / Hawai'i) will the time change had any notable effects on you?
    Last edited by JNA; 29 Oct 2004 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Because I can't/din't spell correctly
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I will beable to drink a bit more on Saturday night knowing I have an extra hour to sleep it off!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I am not looking forward to a dark evening commute.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    During standard time in the winter, I have almost no daylight in my personal life during weekdaya. I leave work at 4:30 PM; the sun is still out when I leave, but when I get home at 5:05 or 5:10, it's dark.

With the new house and its accompanying half-acre forest, there is some woodlot management I want to perform before snow covers the ground; cleaning up some litter, cutting some fallen trees into smaller, easier-to-remove bits, and so on. I won't be able to do this on weekdays.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I will beable to drink a bit more on Saturday night knowing I have an extra hour to sleep it off!
    I like this guys thinking! This line of reasoning should be the basis of most human activity. For example, if someone offers you the extra bag of pretzels that falls out of the vending machine you can say "Great! this will probably soak up an extra 6 ounces of beer." or upon hearing the news that a family member has passed away you could say "That's terrible! But now that I think of it, there will probably be beer served at the wake/reception afterwards".
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    We don't go in for that new fangly-dangly time change stuff 'round here. Time stays still, the way it was meant to since the beginning of time....oh, wait....no, other than scheduling meetings in other cities, it probably won't have any effect at all here.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It gets dark so early and I really don't like that. I was in a store last night around 7:00 -- looked outside and it was already almost completely dark. Ick. But I will enjoy the extra hour of sleep!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Oh joy - an extra hour of renovating!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    ...or upon hearing the news that a family member has passed away you could say "That's terrible! But now that I think of it, there will probably be beer served at the wake/reception afterwards".
    That reminds me... when I die, the keg will be under the casket, and the tap line will drape over the top. Pay your respects, get a cup (I will be holding in my right hand) and fill up! *just no keg stands if I will be unable to participate.

Registered
    Mar 2004

I like the sun....

I would prefer waking up in the dark and having some time for my own life after work What was that argument made about it helping the environment...(you transport types should know this one....?)
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    I would prefer waking up in the dark and having some time for my own life after work What was that argument made about it helping the environment...(you transport types should know this one....?)
    I agree it is BS... the environment does not know what time it is. As for today's standards, there is a 3 to 4 hour rush hour period in many metropolitan areas, and the concept of a workday is so variable that for many it does not matter what time you go to work. We are part of a global economy so for many places the office is open from 5am to 10pm.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I am not looking forward to a dark evening commute.
    I'm with you on this one.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Ahh to be in Arizona! The funny thing is the Navajo reservation does observe it. Continuity for them because they are in three states.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I'll drink to that!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

I started a thread without even knowing it. If only my name was spelled correctly

Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Ahh to be in Arizona! The funny thing is the Navajo reservation does observe it. Continuity for them because they are in three states.
    Because of our proximity to Louisville, we observe Daylight time, unlike much of the rest of the state. Our City-County building has two clocks, an hour apart during DST. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've explained the reason for that.

BTW: both candidates for governor support observing DST/Central Time in Indiana, although allowing us and the Indiana Cincy 'burbs to legally observe DST/Eastern Time.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like fall back, more than spring forward. My body's internal clock thinks it's sleeping in every day for about a week until it gets used to the new time.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    I started a thread without even knowing it. If only my name was spelled correctly
    Me Bad and sorry for dising the name of another Hoosier and fellow Jersey Boy.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 1997

Things that make you go Hmmmmm . . . .

I always wondered how police officers and fireifghters handle the night where the clocks turn back an hour. Essentially, we have a 25 hour day that day, since we have to 1AM to 2AM hours. So we have two 1AM's, two 1:15AM's, etc. If a traffic accident, a crime, or a fire occurs during one of the two 1AM times, do they have to log which one it was?

I could imagine the accounts of victims, witnesses, and responders to an incident getting all confused trying to answer questions like "At what time did you leave the bar? When did you see the accused do such-and-such?". You could have an explanation like "I left the bar at 1:45 AM, walked down the street reaching my car at 1AM, heard the gunshots ten minutes later at 1:10, and saw the accused run past me at 1:15."

Sounds like one of those Law & Order things. You could pass a lie detector test about where you were at one of the 1:30's and still have committed the crime at the other 1:30.

And this is all with changing your clock at 2AM. If some people adjusted their clocks before going to sleep and others after they got up in the morning, they'd all be on different times! Mix in a person who moved their clock forward instead of back, and you've got a real mess.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I wish they would do away with this time-change business. I say - pick one and stick with it.

(but then again, I tend to be a creature of habit.)

Registered
    May 1997
    The best proposal I have ever heard was made by JIm Stiles, the editor of the Canyon Country Zephyr. He figured that the most important thing was to be able to take a hike (ski, swim, etc) after supper. So the sun can't go down 'til about 9:00 P.M. So the time would adjust every day of the year, gradually, incrementally, so that sundown is always at 9:00 P.M. That would be my type of schedule. Working in the dark all morning would be no big deal if I could actually have an outdoor life in the evening.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Unlike the heathens of Indiana, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan does honor Daylight Savings Time and will be switching this Sat/Sun.

The Eastern Time Zone in the YooPee stretches almost as far west as St. Louis, MO. The entire Upper Peninsula is in the Eastern Time Zone except the counties that border Wisconsin.

EDT Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Took the bottle...errr, works right out of my mouth.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a mild case of Seasonal Affective Disorder so the next few months will be tough. Like Dan, there will be very little sunlight in my schedule. It affects me mentally.

I knew a guy in college that had a bad case of SAD, to the point of being suicidal. His shrinks prescribed physchotrophic light therapy. One day when he was at night class we sat in fron to the light bank (complete with gov't warnings about not being for unprescribed use), playing Nintendo. After about 20 minutes eveyone was "high". It was the most interesting feeling unlike any drug. not that I've tried drugs. Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I hate it every year when DST ends; I want to be able to go out after work/dinner and shop (X-mas, you know!), run errands, etc in the LIGHT because I feel so less tired if it's light out. I like to come home and work in the yard but it's just too dark on EST. Dang.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Jul 2012, 11:08 AM
  2. How cars change the city and time
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 9:32 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM