Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: mother in law/carriage home accessory uses

Registered
    Mar 2002

mother in law/carriage home accessory uses

Does anyone have a copy of a good ordinance dealing with accessory structure residential dwelling units.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Depends on the zone, cannot be greater than 900 square feet, and must meet setbacks (5 for the sides, 20 from front lot line, 15 from rear). Architecture must be the same as the existing residence and 2 off street parking spaces per dweeling unit.
    All while meeting the minimum open space standards and landscape buffer yards, (if applicable)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    City of Davis has an ordinance that I found easy to implement, that still protected the overall feel of a neighbourhood. (I know, I know... I'm sure you are all getting sick of my blah blah blah Davis answers. )

Here are the regulations

Edit: Hmmmmm... looks like they updated them since I've been there (which is good, since it's been about 10 years or so). I don't know if they are still as easy to implement as they were though.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    As always, I really liked my old jurisdictions By-law (maybe because I helped to write it)

GARDEN SUITE
    3.4.5 Any lot with a single unit dwelling may host a Garden Suite for the use of persons with identified special needs provided the following regulations are complied with:
    a) an application, supporting information and fee in the amount of $100.00 for the
    locating of a Garden Suite shall be submitted to the Development Officer;
    b) no Garden Suite shall be located on a lot until a permit to do so has been issued
    by the Development Officer; and
    c) a Garden Suite shall be constructed, erected and located in the rear yard of the
    main dwelling only, to the satisfaction of the Fire Chief, and so as to be readily
    removable and subject to the following requirements:
    i) minimum rear yard for Garden Suite 3.0 metres;
    ii) minimum side yard for Garden Suite 2 metres;
    iii) maximum height for Garden Suite 6 metres;
    iv) maximum floor area for Garden Suite 75 square metres;
    v) provision for servicing, including potable water, sewer, storm sewer, lot grading and drainage, parking and access shall be provided for the Garden Suite to the satisfaction of City; and
    vi) a signed agreement, registered against the title of the property, between the host (property owner) and the City, including provisions outlining the obligations of the host and the occupants of the Garden Suite, termination of the agreement, removal of the Garden Suite when it is no long required and a restoration plan upon removal.

My new jurisdiction deals with them primarily through the enabling legislation

Garden suites

39.1 (1) Despite subsection 39 (2), as a condition to passing a by-law authorizing the temporary use of a garden suite under subsection 39 (1), the council may require the owner of the suite or any other person to enter into an agreement with the municipality dealing with such matters related to the temporary use of the garden suite as the council considers necessary or advisable, including,

(a) the installation, maintenance and removal of the garden suite;

(b) the period of occupancy of the garden suite by any of the persons named in the agreement; and

(c) the monetary or other form of security that the council may require for actual or potential costs to the municipality related to the garden suite. 2002, c. 17, Sched. B, s. 12.

Definition

(2) In this section,

“garden suite” means a one-unit detached residential structure containing bathroom and kitchen facilities that is ancillary to an existing residential structure and that is designed to be portable. 2002, c. 17, Sched. B, s. 12.

Another resource for this type of thing is www.cmhc.ca (Canada's combinedHUD/Sally Mae in one).
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Donk:
    I remember when the "Apartents in Housing" amendments came in in Ontario and there were some problems with naming the occupants of the granny suite in the agreement. Picture this - junior builds a granny suite for his retired parents. six months after occupancy, gradma dies and grand dad goes to Florida a hooks up with a 28 yr. old beach bunny he brings back to live with him in the granny suite - Would you want the responsibility of enforcing the development agreement which named the occupants?

If I recall correctly, the legislation also allowed for the siting of granny suites on sites large enough to provide for a seperate onsite sewage system while permitting a shared water supply. I also seem to recall the legislation placing a 10 year time limit on the siting of these suites (also problematic given the investment required to establish the use).

Quote Originally posted by donk
    As always, I really liked my old jurisdictions By-law (maybe because I helped to write it)

GARDEN SUITE
    3.4.5 Any lot with a single unit dwelling may host a Garden Suite for the use of persons with identified special needs provided the following regulations are complied with:
    a) an application, supporting information and fee in the amount of $100.00 for the
    locating of a Garden Suite shall be submitted to the Development Officer;
    b) no Garden Suite shall be located on a lot until a permit to do so has been issued
    by the Development Officer; and
    c) a Garden Suite shall be constructed, erected and located in the rear yard of the
    main dwelling only, to the satisfaction of the Fire Chief, and so as to be readily
    removable and subject to the following requirements:
    i) minimum rear yard for Garden Suite 3.0 metres;
    ii) minimum side yard for Garden Suite 2 metres;
    iii) maximum height for Garden Suite 6 metres;
    iv) maximum floor area for Garden Suite 75 square metres;
    v) provision for servicing, including potable water, sewer, storm sewer, lot grading and drainage, parking and access shall be provided for the Garden Suite to the satisfaction of City; and
    vi) a signed agreement, registered against the title of the property, between the host (property owner) and the City, including provisions outlining the obligations of the host and the occupants of the Garden Suite, termination of the agreement, removal of the Garden Suite when it is no long required and a restoration plan upon removal.

My new jurisdiction deals with them primarily through the enabling legislation

Garden suites

39.1 (1) Despite subsection 39 (2), as a condition to passing a by-law authorizing the temporary use of a garden suite under subsection 39 (1), the council may require the owner of the suite or any other person to enter into an agreement with the municipality dealing with such matters related to the temporary use of the garden suite as the council considers necessary or advisable, including,

(a) the installation, maintenance and removal of the garden suite;

(b) the period of occupancy of the garden suite by any of the persons named in the agreement; and

(c) the monetary or other form of security that the council may require for actual or potential costs to the municipality related to the garden suite. 2002, c. 17, Sched. B, s. 12.

Definition

(2) In this section,

“garden suite” means a one-unit detached residential structure containing bathroom and kitchen facilities that is ancillary to an existing residential structure and that is designed to be portable. 2002, c. 17, Sched. B, s. 12.

Another resource for this type of thing is www.cmhc.ca (Canada's combinedHUD/Sally Mae in one).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Assumption is the Mother of all
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 12 Dec 2006, 2:29 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Sep 2003, 3:34 PM
  3. Mother Nature
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 May 2003, 9:17 AM